Here come the layoffs

helloitsme

I trust what my business customers are telling me every day "Business is horrible". Rush and Hannity are a couple of right wing facist's, in denial. They both have Bush infatuation syndrome. We are in a recession.

I am a life long republican and I can honestly say that you are right,Hannity and Rush are just party hacks. The smear job they did to Rev. Right is horrible. The Audio you are hearing on his sermons is redacted audio ! Check out YOUTUBE for the Full Context of the sermons. I'm a white guy and I am saying this. The country needs better leadership than the Republicans are willing to give. The Bush Admininstartion is so Anti-Labor it's sickening. I am voting for Obama. If it comes cown to McCain vs. Clinton, I will be voting Republican. I don't think Hillary has a clue.

W

westsideworma

we're down a little, but not overly so, I haven't heard of layoffs yet (and I would, I'm pretty good friends with more than a few drivers), but I do know they want to cut routes, so far our center teams have been able to fend it off...we'll see for how long. Most of our guys have 150 stops or more anyways....when I started that would have been unheard of...its not like the load quality is miraculously better under PAS so they can go faster.

They're squeezing the preloaders harder than they have since I've been with the company too (granted thats only been a little over 3.5 years haha). Its really frustrating me and many guys I know are looking for work elsewhere. These are promising employees with about 6 mos. to a near a year seniority but when they're being cut out before 3.5 (especially with gas the way it is now), they get paid more to call in and use sick time (4hrs) and no one can understand why our attendance has gone to crap.

While I was a loader I got 4.5 to almost 6 hours everyday, had rare misloads and my loads looked great, now we (and I don't mean me) want preloaders done in under 4 hrs with a perfect load and no misloads. Being set up to fail everyday doesn't build morale it crushes it and they're telling us to motivate our employees. Some of mine have lashed out at the manager and he seems to think they're kidding lol. Sometimes I wish I was still an hourly so I could more colorfully air my frustrations as well. Its pretty sad that a 15+ year veteran told me that if I hadn't come and helped him pull his cages that he was thinking about just walking out and quitting, granted I know he likely wouldn't have (not with 15 yrs in), but when this guy a big union guy and I'm not making fun of him in any way as he's a solid employee, not one those "goons" as tie would say, graciously accepted help from a supe...you know its getting really bad.

wannabeups

Some people in our hub are saying that it is because of the senior drivers refusal to take vacations.

Most are saying that they have never seen this many people in the hub this late in the year. That along with what I hear from business people. I tend to believe it is the economy.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

we're down a little, but not overly so, I haven't heard of layoffs yet (and I would, I'm pretty good friends with more than a few drivers), but I do know they want to cut routes, so far our center teams have been able to fend it off...we'll see for how long. Most of our guys have 150 stops or more anyways....when I started that would have been unheard of...its not like the load quality is miraculously better under PAS so they can go faster.

They're squeezing the preloaders harder than they have since I've been with the company too (granted thats only been a little over 3.5 years haha). Its really frustrating me and many guys I know are looking for work elsewhere. These are promising employees with about 6 mos. to a near a year seniority but when they're being cut out before 3.5 (especially with gas the way it is now), they get paid more to call in and use sick time (4hrs) and no one can understand why our attendance has gone to crap.

While I was a loader I got 4.5 to almost 6 hours everyday, had rare misloads and my loads looked great, now we (and I don't mean me) want preloaders done in under 4 hrs with a perfect load and no misloads. Being set up to fail everyday doesn't build morale it crushes it and they're telling us to motivate our employees. Some of mine have lashed out at the manager and he seems to think they're kidding lol. Sometimes I wish I was still an hourly so I could more colorfully air my frustrations as well. Its pretty sad that a 15+ year veteran told me that if I hadn't come and helped him pull his cages that he was thinking about just walking out and quitting, granted I know he likely wouldn't have (not with 15 yrs in), but when this guy a big union guy and I'm not making fun of him in any way as he's a solid employee, not one those "goons" as tie would say, graciously accepted help from a supe...you know its getting really bad.

You're at ORH hub? Well let me tell you, a bit further east :biting:, what you're talking about is the norm. especially from 00' to 06'...management wanted everything down by 7:40am Monday and pre 8am the rest of the week. pre or post PAS implementation. Anything else was failure ( and yes there was plenty of that)

W

westsideworma

You're at ORH hub? Well let me tell you, a bit further east :biting:, what you're talking about is the norm. especially from 00' to 06'...management wanted everything down by 7:40am Monday and pre 8am the rest of the week. pre or post PAS implementation. Anything else was failure ( and yes there was plenty of that)

I believe it. I am new to management, and I just can't believe some of the stuff the ivory towers come up with. Its almost like (actually not almost) they just cook this stuff up and see where the chips fall after its implemented before using logical thought beforehand. We have been getting the primary down early but that only means theres absolute messes elsewhere in the building (boxlines and the slides). I understand we need to be efficient, but the extent of it lately is ludicrous.

Overpaid Union Thug

I trust what my business customers are telling me every day "Business is horrible". Rush and Hannity are a couple of right wing facist's, in denial. They both have Bush infatuation syndrome. We are in a recession.

A recession (by definition) is characterized as two or more quarters (6 months) of negative gross domestic product. We aren't even close to 6 months of that. The problem is that the mainstream media is controlled by your left wing commies who have a habit of lying and mischaracterizing things in order to scare the general public, which is naive enough to believe what they hear from radical left wing crackpots such as CNN, into thinking that the economy is falling apart. The general public is naive and ill-informed and turn on the news to get what they think is an accurate report of how the economy is. So, this works to the liberal machine's advantage. Especially leading up to an election. All they need to do to make the public think there is a recession is to lie and say that there is one. When the average naive person hears this they believe it even though it isn't factual and goes against the very definition of what a recession is. They panic and stop spending $$$ and WHAM!....the liberals have just created a false recession.. This could all be avoided two ways....1) if the average person would educate themselves as to what a recession is 2)simply avoid the garbage liberal media outlets. Is lying about a recession really worth it? I know liberals are dying to get the White House back but is it fair to do so at the expense of the general public? How much lower can they get?

I am a life long republican and I can honestly say that you are right,Hannity and Rush are just party hacks. The smear job they did to Rev. Right is horrible. The Audio you are hearing on his sermons is redacted audio ! Check out YOUTUBE for the Full Context of the sermons. I'm a white guy and I am saying this. The country needs better leadership than the Republicans are willing to give. The Bush Admininstartion is so Anti-Labor it's sickening. I am voting for Obama. If it comes cown to McCain vs. Clinton, I will be voting Republican. I don't think Hillary has a clue.

Smear job? Context? That is quite possibly the most stupid thing I've heard in a long time. LOL! Thinks for sharing that humorous content with the site. So, now not only do we have to deal with "the race card" but now also "the context card?" LOL! Anti-labor? You'll see who is anti-labor when you elect Obama the soft communist, fraudulent, radical muslim in disguise Obama. Once he starts punishing the successful, hardworking middle and upper class and giving charity to the lazy and undeserving you'll be singing a different tune.

over9five

Staff member
"WHAM!....the liberals have just created a false recession."

Everyone here knows I'm anti-Liberal, but.....

Did the Liberals cause Bear Stearns to fall, selling out for 1/20th of their pre-recession worth?

Did the Liberals cause the S&P to slide significantly over the past 6 months?

The huge job losses over the past several months? What does that mean?

It all spells R E C E S S I O N to me.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
A recession is when the economy grows at less than 2.5%. The economy has never actually schrunk since the depression. Heard that from Karl Icahn on 60 minutes I think.

Overpaid Union Thug

"WHAM!....the liberals have just created a false recession."

Everyone here knows I'm anti-Liberal, but.....

Did the Liberals cause Bear Stearns to fall, selling out for 1/20th of their pre-recession worth?

Did the Liberals cause the S&P to slide significantly over the past 6 months?

The huge job losses over the past several months? What does that mean?

It all spells R E C E S S I O N to me.

There is no recession. Just because a few companies here and there are struggling doesn't mean others aren't prospering. The S&P can slide and rise with or without a recession and since there IS NOT a recession now I guess I can say there is your proof of that. Just because the media, and those that blindly follow their lead, says we are HEADED for a recession doesn't mean that there is one and it doesn't mean that there has to be one. The problem is that when people panic it just adds fuel to the fire. If everyone thinks there is a recession then they won't spend. Then, and only then, will there be a recession. Until then according to the definition there isn't one. If the economy is still going down in 3 or 4 months then I'll give in. But until then its business as usual in my neck of the woods. We aren't even laying off drivers except on the occasional Monday but that is normal. Other companies and factories are doing well. The only recession around here is on the news. It is rediculous. Anyone listen to Dave Ramsey? He says exactly the same things I've said.

trickpony1

.....so maybe someone can explain why the federal reserve has lowered interest rates and the housing market, and associated banking interests, are going down the tubes.

tireknocker

recession two months of no growth!!!! We won't find this out for six months down the road(looking back). And by then will be out of it. The guys in Lenexa get to work the hub. The vacations next year will take care of this because will pick them in November(winter,summer). So low seniority drivers will pick what is left over. We all been thru this when we started at UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We must be in a recession as I have had to switch from Starbucks to Dunkin Donuts. If we end up in a depression I will end up getting my coffee at McDonalds.

big_arrow_up, ask the folks at Bear and Stearns if we are in a recession. Or how about Countrywide? Or the folks at Chrysler who will have an unpaid 2 week "vacation" this summer? Or maybe you could ask those consumers who are choosing between paying their adjusting sub-prime mortgages or their variable interest credit cards? Or you could check with airlines who are adding excess baggage fees and consolidating operations?

The economic stimulus package, more specifically the consumer rebate, will not have the desired effect as many people (myself included) will put this money toward debt. I do think that the other components of this package will be effective and things will turn around by Spring 2009. Until then, I will be searching for bargains on the stock market while cutting expenses and working to lower my debt.

dirty moose

Yeah,helper loads have been here pretty much every day since peak.Had never seen that before except for ane time when we had a blizzard during peak that didn't want to melt,but that was 1996 I think.

last week here in LI there were 2 or 3 days my stop count was around 220.

btw LIC is the only metro building without pas?

Overpaid Union Thug

We must be in a recession as I have had to switch from Starbucks to Dunkin Donuts. If we end up in a depression I will end up getting my coffee at McDonalds.

big_arrow_up, ask the folks at Bear and Stearns if we are in a recession. Or how about Countrywide? Or the folks at Chrysler who will have an unpaid 2 week "vacation" this summer? Or maybe you could ask those consumers who are choosing between paying their adjusting sub-prime mortgages or their variable interest credit cards? Or you could check with airlines who are adding excess baggage fees and consolidating operations?

The economic stimulus package, more specifically the consumer rebate, will not have the desired effect as many people (myself included) will put this money toward debt. I do think that the other components of this package will be effective and things will turn around by Spring 2009. Until then, I will be searching for bargains on the stock market while cutting expenses and working to lower my debt.

How about asking the folks at all the companies that aren't laying off? Let's try that and get the broader picture. Again....has it been six months yet?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are your rose colored glasses prescription or did you buy them off the shelf? Seriously, I wish that I could share your optimism but I see more and more signs that we are in a recession that appears to be worsening. Perhaps it is just the part of the country that I call home, but things are tight. I feel sorry for my kids (21 and 23) who are just starting in their adults lives and trying to get by on their meager salaries with ever-increasing expenses. I do hope that your vision of the glass half full is more accurate than mine of the glass half empty and I do apologize if you found any of my remarks offensive as they were most certainly not meant to be.

Overpaid Union Thug

Are your rose colored glasses prescription or did you buy them off the shelf? Seriously, I wish that I could share your optimism but I see more and more signs that we are in a recession that appears to be worsening. Perhaps it is just the part of the country that I call home, but things are tight. I feel sorry for my kids (21 and 23) who are just starting in their adults lives and trying to get by on their meager salaries with ever-increasing expenses. I do hope that your vision of the glass half full is more accurate than mine of the glass half empty and I do apologize if you found any of my remarks offensive as they were most certainly not meant to be.

No offense taken. It's not about being optimistic (although I am) or about seeing the glass as half full. It's simply using the cold hard economical facts. By definition alone I can say there isn't a recession but if that's enough than I can just look at the overall economical picture. There is always companies laying off or shutting down. But only when the media mentions a recession does more of those layoffs make it into the news. Am I saying that there can't be a recession or that the current situation may stay the way it is and lead us in to one?? No, I'm not. I'm just using the facts here and if the current economical trend continues then yes....there will be a recession but right now at this moment there isn't one. Are things perfect and blissfull? No. They never are but that doesn't have to mean it will lead to a recession.

Jim Kemp

Weither you call it a recession or not, people on my route are having a hard time of it. The retail store owners are saying it is very slow, the hardware store owners are saying things are dead.I know people in the mortgage business and they are dying.
Have you noticed how many people you del. to are selling Avon,Mary Kay or something else to make more money to make ends meet?

Also why do you always blame anything bad on "THE LIBERALS". I don't know about you but I (my 401) did very well under Bill Clinton and I have not done very well under Bush.
I have always heard that the stock market does better under a liberal than a concervative, can someone prove are disprove this? Maybe provide a link to a site with a graph.

Also can anyone tell me what a conservitave has ever done to help a working person? I can't think of any.

Upslady20

Here in Florida we are still very busy.. most drivers are working 9.5 everyday or right at it with several cover drivers hitting the street also.. It usually drops off here in late April but it seems like more people are ordering off of the internet so they do not have to drive their cars..

tieguy

Banned

nothing like a stretch of increased taxes and increased regulatory action to remind us why we don't vote for democrats.

When osha gets unleashed under osama you will be expected to memorize and regurgitate a 3 inch book.