Here's How UPS Driver Income Stacks Up

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I see it everyday guys complaining about never seeing their wives or kids until late in the day. I tell these young boys coming up into full time driving, they seriously need to have a serious discussion with their wives or partners about the effects of this job can have on your family. Big question to discuss is can your wife handle being the only person home taking care of the kids most of the time. Its a serious conversation that needs to be addressed if you want your marriage to last or bigger question can she really handle you never being home or home real late every night. I myself don't think its fair to the wife or the kids. I know theres nothing that can be done really about the hours we work but it is important that the husband and wife be on the same page about it and come to an agreement or solution as to whats the best decision they should make moving forward.

JL 0513

Being a driver is the least amount of hours I've worked per week in most of my adult life, and I'm 34. I see my wife more than ever. This includes my 1 hour 45 minute total commute each day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Being a driver is the least amount of hours I've worked per week in most of my adult life, and I'm 34. I see my wife more than ever. This includes my 1 hour 45 minute total commute each day.

Good point.
Before I went friend/T at UPS I worked 3 jobs and 7 days a week.
We just has one child too which helped.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
That's it I want a transfer to cupcake land where your at lol. Just playin witcha bro. If you get off at a good time everyday im happy for ya, cause most of the country gets home late as balls. Or if your a runner gunner once you get some miles on that old chevy aka your back,knees,hips youll slow down and get home later than now. Been there done that. Jobs a marathon and you cant win that race in 1 day. Gotta take care of that old chevy.

didyousheetit

Thing is, these plush, high paying, 8/9-5 jobs have become very difficult to get. They're out their but you better have a nice degree. And most require experience on top of the degree. Also remember if you're making around $80K, you generally carry a lot of responsibility which a lot of people either don't want or can't handle. I certainly wouldn't want the stress of a lot of responsibility. Or being a manager. I wouldn't want it.

As for our hours...yes, they're not ideal. Does stink to miss the family time in the early evening. These days though it is very common for parents to be working hours at all times of the day. I've worked retail. Would start as early as 6am one day. Close at 11pm on another. Same in the restaurant business. All for crappy money. My better jobs had be starting at 7am. I now start at 9am at UPS. So I have more AM time than many workers.

Another comparison: My wife is a computer programmer (currently laid off). She's worked as a programmer at 3 companies since college and they've each paid "only" $40K. For computer programming, in Boston, MA! You know how complicated that stuff is? It's like reading Greek if you're unfamiliar with it. There are others that can pay a lot more, but again, very hard to get.
that's part of the point computer programmers are a dime a dozen. (no disrespect was intended) How many kids in high school that grew up on video games can do those things. Take that same kid put him in the upper mid west winter with our great heated vehicles run off 280 stops with stupid directives and metrics. When you do finally get in around 9 pm told the next day you didn't perform well enough and here you go another 10 stops. I wonder how many of these kids would do that.

PT Car Washer

that's part of the point computer programmers are a dime a dozen. (no disrespect was intended) How many kids in high school that grew up on video games can do those things. Take that same kid put him in the upper mid west winter with our great heated vehicles run off 280 stops with stupid directives and metrics. When you do finally get in around 9 pm told the next day you didn't perform well enough and here you go another 10 stops. I wonder how many of these kids would do that.
So who is the smart one here?

JL 0513

That's it I want a transfer to cupcake land where your at lol. Just playin witcha bro. If you get off at a good time everyday im happy for ya, cause most of the country gets home late as balls. Or if your a runner gunner once you get some miles on that old chevy aka your back,knees,hips youll slow down and get home later than now. Been there done that. Jobs a marathon and you cant win that race in 1 day. Gotta take care of that old chevy.

I get home, typically, between 7:45 and 8:45 each night. So 8:15 on average. And that's still being home much more than ever.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Good for you dude but that's still late. Im with ya bro im in the same time frame. It sux :censored2: getting home that late. Gets real old after a while. Only cool part is the fatt check deposited at 1201 on fri morning. I cant wait til its over. 13 years and 8 months but whos counting lol.

Good for you dude but that's still late. Im with ya bro im in the same time frame. It sux :censored2: getting home that late. Gets real old after a while. Only cool part is the fatt check deposited at 1201 on fri morning. I cant wait til its over. 13 years and 8 months but whos counting lol.

Double that. and still counting............it only gets worse!..lolI

JL 0513

Yeah, I know it will wear on me. But before this gig, I started work at 7am every morning and didn't get home until 10pm every night. So 12 hour days is a break.

purplesky

Programmers here in the USA have been getting outsourced for years. Companies like Microsoft and Apple and Facebook have been lobbying big time(Immigration bill) to allow foreign tech workers to come here to the states and write code for low wages.
There are thousands of American programmers in their 50s that have been layed off and replaced by foreign workers who will write code for next to nothing.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Let us know how many hours those people worked in a week, will you?

Did they work in the heat, in the cold? Did they drive in inclement weather? Did they have to fight every manager in the office to make a doctor's appointment? Did they have to cheat, lie and steal to get just a single day off?

Makes you feel pretty good, doesn't it?

The old adage is "Work smarter, not harder", so it would appear they got the better end of the deal.

However....

So many jobs require people to take work home with them, to work in their off time, especially teaching positions and sales. When big projects come up they may put in insane hours like we do (and as feeder drivers can attest to, mental exhaustion can be as bad as physical exhaustion).

Now the big thing is "unpaid internships" to even get one's foot in the door in these industries; what the heck?!

Last edited:

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Here's irony for you: I started typing my previous post on my bus ride to work, but was rinterrupted by the arrival at my stop. Before i could get back to finishing my post my center manager pulled me into the office to ask me to "take a look at how i am running", because, in is words, "this is not a $100k job". He was pointing out how there are managers who make less than me (which is why so long ago I turned down going into mgmt). He said feeders-where they have to manage trailer loads of goods, and the responsibility and skill that entails-is a $100k job, but not pkg. Nevermind I drive a 1300, often filled going both ways each day to the route and back. And I don't unload one hundred pieces at a time, with a pallet jack.

I am currently at $81.2k. I told him about the list I had just seen.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Here's irony for you: I started typing my previous post on my bus ride to work, but was rinterrupted by the arrival at my stop. Before i could get back to finishing my post my center manager pulled me into the office to ask me to "take a look at how i am running", because, in is words, "this is not a $100k job". He was pointing out how there are managers who make less than me (which is why so long ago I turned down going into mgmt). He said feeders-where they have to manage trailer loads of goods, and the responsibility and skill that entails-is a $100k job, but not pkg. Nevermind I drive a 1300, often filled going both ways each day to the route and back. And I don't unload one hundred pieces at a time, with a pallet jack.

Too bad you didn't have a pay stub in your pocket. You could have proven him wrong.

And you could have invited him to join you in a $100K job for he and all of his manager friends.

island1fox

Here's 30 jobs that pay a national median of $80K/yr.

Now a few considerations:

*Yes, those at top rate only past that figure with typical overtime. Some drivers even pass $90K.
*And although we need overtime to match, we get pensions and other benefits that these other jobs don't provide.
*And for the record, these figures are a few years old but surely haven't changed much.

Consider the education required for all these jobs. We're not doing too shabby for doing a job with no advanced skills needed. In fact, we learn what we need to do the job in a matter of weeks. But we do earn every penny!

1. Administrative law judges, adjudicators and hearing officers
Do this: Conduct hearings to rule on government-related claims; determine penalties and liability; and help to craft settlements.
Get paid: $80,870
2. Biomedical engineers
Do this: Design and develop devices and procedures to help solve health-related problems. Projects might include information systems, artificial organs or artificial limbs.
Get paid: $81,120
3. Chiropractors
Do this: Diagnose and treat musculoskeletal conditions of the spinal column to prevent disease and alleviate imbalance, pain and pressure believed to be caused by interference with nervous system.
Get paid: $81,340
4. Atmospheric, earth, marine and space sciences teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics in the physical sciences, except chemistry and physics.
Get paid: $81,470
5. Agents and business managers of artists, performers and athletes
Do this: Represent and promote their client's business while handling business matters and contract negotiations.
Get paid: $81,550
6. Materials scientists
Do this: Study the chemical composition of various materials and figure out ways to develop new materials and improve existing ones; also determine ways to use materials in products.
Get paid: $81,600
7. Physician assistants
Do this: Perform health-care services and provide treatment plans under a physician's supervision.
Get paid: $81,610
8. Medical scientists, except epidemiologists
Do this: Research and investigate human diseases and how to improve human health.
Get paid: $81,870
9. Physics teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics pertaining to the laws of matter and energy.
Get paid: $81,880
10. Atmospheric and space scientists
Do this: Study the effects the atmosphere has on the environment, most commonly through weather forecasting.
Get paid: $82,080
11. Management analysts
Do this: Figure out best practices of management by conducting studies and procedures to help companies figure out how to operate more effectively.
Get paid: $82,920
12. Producers and directors
Do this: Produce or direct, and make all creative decisions for stage, television, radio, video or motion picture productions.
Get paid: $83,030
13. Biological science teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics in biological sciences.
Get paid: $83,270
14. Materials engineers
Do this: Develop new uses for recognized materials, and develop new machinery and processes to make materials for use in specialized products.
Get paid: $84,200
15. Transportation, storage and distribution managers
Do this: Oversee transportation, storage or distribution activities in accordance with governmental policies and regulations.
Get paid: $84,520
16. Financial analysts
Do this: Assess the financial situations of an individual or organization.
Get paid: $84,780
17. Electrical engineers
Do this: Design, develop and test the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment.
Get paid: $85,350
18. Education administrators, elementary and secondary school
Do this: Oversee all activities of public or private elementary or secondary schools.
Get paid: $86,060
19. Industrial-organizational psychologists
Do this: Work with companies to solve problems within the company. You may help with policy planning; employee screening, training and development; and organizational development and analysis.
Get paid: $86,460
20. Computer software engineers, applications
Do this: Build computer applications software and code; ensure that all software projects adhere to a company's technology and business standards.
Get paid: $87,900
21. Economics teachers, post-secondary
Do this: Teach courses and research topics in economics.
Get paid: $88,330
22. Biochemists and biophysicists
Do this: Study the chemical composition and physical principles of living cells and organisms, their electrical and mechanical energy, and related phenomena.
Get paid: $88,450
23. Art directors
Do this: Create design concepts and presentation in artwork, layout design and copywriting for visual communications media.
Get paid: $88,510
24. Electronics engineers, except computer
Do this: Design, develop and test a wide range of electronic equipment, from CD players to global positioning systems.
Get paid: $88,670
25. Medical and health services managers
Do this: Supervise medical and health services in hospitals, clinics and similar organizations.
Get paid: $88,750
26. Chemical engineers
Do this: Design chemical plant equipment and create processes for manufacturing chemicals and products.
Get paid: $88,760
27. Geoscientists, except hydrologists and geographers
Do this: Study the composition, structure and other physical aspects of the Earth.
Get paid: $89,300
28. Veterinarians
Do this: Provide health care for family pets, livestock and zoo animals. Provide check-ups, treat diseases and advise caretakers on how to best raise their animals.
Get paid: $89,450
29. Construction managers
Do this:Oversee all activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities and systems.
Get paid: $89,770
30. Sales engineers
Do this: Sell business goods or services, the selling of which requires a technical background equivalent to a bachelor's degree in engineering.
Get paid: $89,770

Makes you feel pretty good, doesn't it? :wink2:

(sorry if this has been posted in the last few years)

UPS people work very hard for the income and benefits they earn. They should feel good --until they realize that they have supported a President --Obama --that is in the process of RE-DISTRIBUTING the wealth that is earned------Started with Teamcare ----more to follow shortly--means testing and much higher taxes are around the next bend !!!

purplesky

So if your package car is full going both ways on your route. I wonder how many days it takes to pay your annual salary? I bet it only takes about 4 to 5 weeks to pay you and start making a profit off the route.

Also, arent package car drivers the salesmen and face of UPS? That should be worth something?:wink2:

purplesky

UPS people work very hard for the income and benefits they earn. They should feel good --until they realize that they have supported a President --Obama --that is in the process of RE-DISTRIBUTING the wealth that is earned------Started with Teamcare ----more to follow shortly--means testing and much higher taxes are around the next bend !!!

You forgot guns. :grouphug: And don't forget Walmart and Mcdonalds and Wendy's and FDX ground since they are taking taxpayer money also by paying slave wages. :funny:

What'dyabringmetoday???

Yeah, I know it will wear on me. But before this gig, I started work at 7am every morning and didn't get home until 10pm every night. So 12 hour days is a break.
There is a chance most have never worked anywhere else. Good luck to you here. It is difficult to fit in if you don't whine about how hard your job is or how late you work and so on. Most of these folks would really be whining if they ever lost their difficult job. You have a good outlook.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There is a chance most have never worked anywhere else. Good luck to you here. It is difficult to fit in if you don't whine about how hard your job is or how late you work and so on. Most of these folks would really be whining if they ever lost their difficult job. You have a good outlook.

First UpState's back and now What'dyabringmetoday ... coincidence? I think not!