Heres your Circle of Honor award, and a warning letter.

UPS Lifer

the union does back the company safety standards on DOK questions. as long as they pay to train us.

Here is the problem - Depth of Knowledge means just what it says.... You have to understand the concept of the question and why it is important...

I am embarrassed for the management team that would give any driver or employee a warning letter for not reciting DOK word for word. To me, that is a manager or supervisor asking for a lot of trouble!

I can tell you right now that would never stand up in a panel! I am not talking about a warning letter (technically a warning can't be grieved.) But I am talking about progressive action after a warning such as a suspension. This is totally ludicrous. If my boss told me to take that kind of action against a driver I would respectfully decline. The boss could take that heat.

You supervisors out there - get it straight - You can PM me if you want straight talk. Treat your people right!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i would bet not too many have the manhood to stand up for what is right when it comes to disagreeing with their boss.........

but it is nice to know there are a few

d

Dragon

Package Center Manager
UPS dude I am going to check on your story tomorrow when I get in and see if they pulled the letters. I heard about the letters being issued but nothing about retraction. Will give you some feedback......

tieguy

Banned
$70,000 or not I'm not a robot. I'll spout out all of the info you want, but in my lingo. Better yet, I'll let mgmt know in advance when I'm on my way back to the building or I'll start early in order to avoid the auditor in the first place.:happy-very:

the ketter audit requires you know it . If you know it word for word however you can score bonus points for your center on a ketter audit. thats how the hagerstown folks earned the 100 pecent scores by cashing in on the bonus points.

Fnix

the ketter audit requires you know it . If you know it word for word however you can score bonus points for your center on a ketter audit. thats how the hagerstown folks earned the 100 pecent scores by cashing in on the bonus points.

I heard they got lucky with the audit people or they were bribed.

upsdude

UPS dude I am going to check on your story tomorrow when I get in and see if they pulled the letters. I heard about the letters being issued but nothing about retraction. Will give you some feedback......

I heard the same thing last night as I left. One of the guys called in yesterday, I wasn't able to speak with him. A co-worker spoke with the DM yesterday,the DM said the letters "should have never happened".

I sent another letter to Hoffa Sunday that his office should receive today or tomorrow at the latest. The first letter was sent a couple months ago, no response.

upsdude

Keter is an audit company wholly owned by Liberty Mutual. UPS is self insured and pays Liberty Mutual to administer an insurance program.

So, if it’s OSHA compliance UPS is looking for and OSHA doesn’t require memorization, why are we being required to memorize?

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
When the ketter audit people were in our building, our management team "funneled " drivers that were sure to pass to the auditers and diverted others out a side door. Some drivers were given the day off and told not to come near the building. What little respect I had for our supervisors vanished that day. I hope they never pass another audit again. It is amazing to me that the integrity at ups begins and ends with the driver groups.

UPS Lifer

How would OSHA mandate the 5 seeing habits? Maybe DOT but not OSHA.

OSHA can't mandate the 5 seeing habits.... Long ago there was a settlement case between UPS and OSHA. To get away from huge fines UPS agreed to an oversight program. Ketter was the oversight that reported back to OSHA. That oversight to OSHA is gone now. UPS is under no obligation to continue a mandated program of oversight.

During the Ketter oversight, Safety and other compliance issues made drastic improvements and this is a good thing.

Safety etc. improved and the oversight was kept in place. If a problem occurs where by OSHA needs to get involved this oversight program will go miles in rectifying the problem without heavy fines being stipulated.

The fact is this program shows that UPS is a good corporate citizen, promoting safety with outside oversight and it would be extremely hard to put a dent in the armor (some sort of OSHA complaint) because of Ketter.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
If U.P.S really cared about our saftey, why keep us out till 830 pm on dec 26 th , why add work to everyone when its already 98 degrees for the 5th straight day, why send out a guy with doubles in a raging white out! why load people up with extra work before a long holiday weekend, why send out pkg cars and tractors that have seen their best days in 1982, why put unload devices blocking doorways, why not sand the yard and lots better???? WHY ? because its easier to just blame the employee !!!!!! Screw em they can keep their day old bread and rock hard burgers they don't give a crap about us !! Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

UPS Lifer

If U.P.S really cared about our saftey, why keep us out till 830 pm on dec 26 th , why add work to everyone when its already 98 degrees for the 5th straight day, why send out a guy with doubles in a raging white out! why load people up with extra work before a long holiday weekend, why send out pkg cars and tractors that have seen their best days in 1982, why put unload devices blocking doorways, why not sand the yard and lots better???? WHY ? because its easier to just blame the employee !!!!!! Screw em they can keep their day old bread and rock hard burgers they don't give a crap about us !! Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There is a difference between Corporate UPS and your individual centers. Keep that in mind. But anyone here would be kidding ourselves if they didn't think UPS was out to make money. How about you? Are you willing to work for free? I don't think so!

When UPS stops making money you won't have to worry anymore you will be out on the street trying to figure out what to do next!

I am not trying to discount what you say. Poor management at the local level does not excuse any of the above.

But on a corporate level - Ketter is there for oversight of the processes and DOK of the employees. Compliance with regulatory procedures and safety committee best practices as well as established communication (up & down)
is what Ketter is about. .....not how many stops you go out with!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
upsdude good follow up, would it not be easier just to memorize the safety information and move on to solving bigger problems......just a thought.

705red

Browncafe Steward
On top of it they will attempt ot discipline you for falling their very important ketter audit. If this audit was that important why does ups know they are coming before they show up?

If its that important why are they not in here on dec, 21st checking on our safety?

Why is it when you approach them with a safety concern they ask you if you have addressed it with your management team?

One of the psots say it best, if it looks good on paper!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
life and tie

with all due respect for your contributions to the subject, i find it very interesting that you (keter/ups management)mandate that we can sing your song word for word, note for note, but yet we dont have to even have a clue to what it means, or know how to apply said theme song.

as i said before, there is a reason most ups drivers are drivers instead if brain surgeons. yeah, we are just as smart, but in a lot of cases we either dont or cant memorize things as well as the next.

So what the heck does it matter if we can sing in key or instead just know how to work and drive safely?

past that, the safety program has made a difference in many areas. but now it has morphed into something strange and much different that what it was created to be.

d

paidslave

How would OSHA mandate the 5 seeing habits? Maybe DOT but not OSHA.

Sorry to rain on your parade! the Union Negotiated a Safety panel with UPS to make UPS safer. It is in the UNION Contract Booklet that I have at least. Check you local contract.... Knowledge is where it starts....:peaceful: There is supposed to be a quota per building for safety team people...

I guess Ups is trying to enforce what we asked for, a safer environment for all!

And to answer your question is all they have to do is prove to OSHA they are trying to make our occupation safer!

upsdude

Update……..

I learned yesterday morning that another driver was issued a warning letter on Monday. Also spoke with the original person this thread was about, as far as they know the warning letter still stands.

I haven’t seen the DM since Friday. He’s a guy a lot of us have trusted and respected going back 15+ years. Based on my conversation with him Friday and what I’m seeing now, I really hope he’s not the punk he’s appearing to be.

Still waiting for the Teamsters to reply one way or another. I did get some additional Obama junk in the mail yesterday, so I know their mailroom is operational.

upsdude

When the ketter audit people were in our building, our management team "funneled " drivers that were sure to pass to the auditers and diverted others out a side door. Some drivers were given the day off and told not to come near the building. What little respect I had for our supervisors vanished that day. I hope they never pass another audit again. It is amazing to me that the integrity at ups begins and ends with the driver groups.

Must be part of management training, same here.