Heres your Circle of Honor award, and a warning letter.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
they had a ketter audit at the center here today. our district safety manager lost close to 90 pounds, way to go girl!

i brought up this thread to her. while our district is very safety oriented, they do not or will they give out warning letters to people that dont know them. what they will do though is give you extra training and assist you in any way they can to comply with the learning behavior.

it is interesting to note that so far in the audit, they had 17 points taken off the score because people did not respond properly to the audit team. 7 of the incorrect responses were from management, 10 from hourly.

funny thing about three of the hourly negative points, came from the same driver that the center manager had selected to be audited. center manager knew the driver knew all the answers, even went over them the day before. did perfect.

but in front of the audit team, he had three mistakes on all three of the commentaries.

but so it goes.

now, a clarification. if you receive a letter to your file saying they covered the mistakes you made, but dont receive a "warning letter" at your home, then there is nothing to grieve.

if they indeed issue an actual warning letter, it needs to be grieved immediately, by everyone that gets a warning letter of this kind. there is nothing in the contract that covers this type of behavior by management, and is an abuse of the discipline system at ups.

d

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
There is a difference between Corporate UPS and your individual centers. Keep that in mind. But anyone here would be kidding ourselves if they didn't think UPS was out to make money. How about you? Are you willing to work for free? I don't think so!

When UPS stops making money you won't have to worry anymore you will be out on the street trying to figure out what to do next!

I am not trying to discount what you say. Poor management at the local level does not excuse any of the above.

But on a corporate level - Ketter is there for oversight of the processes and DOK of the employees. Compliance with regulatory procedures and safety committee best practices as well as established communication (up & down)
is what Ketter is about. .....not how many stops you go out with!
lifer, i'm just lashing out over some issues,we do need to work safe,and it has to be a two way street. You know just as well as I do that a driver out in the extreme heat,cold or brutal snow is more apt to have an accident or slip and fall incident at the end of the day! Your very tired and stressed out and hungary at this time and more likely to have a problem.The company knows this but yet still beats you down and will blame you!! I do appreciate my paycheck every week and never felt guilty from cashing it as I have always given this place my best!! I just don't feel right being told I am an unsafe worker or just lucky I havn't been hurt yet after 20 yrs with out an injury and only 1 fender bender in my 2nd yr,{scraped paint on fire hydrent} NOT BITTER,just don't like being treated like a 2nd grader in lunch line!!!

UPS Lifer

lifer, i'm just lashing out over some issues,we do need to work safe,and it has to be a two way street. You know just as well as I do that a driver out in the extreme heat,cold or brutal snow is more apt to have an accident or slip and fall incident at the end of the day! Your very tired and stressed out and hungary at this time and more likely to have a problem.The company knows this but yet still beats you down and will blame you!! I do appreciate my paycheck every week and never felt guilty from cashing it as I have always given this place my best!! I just don't feel right being told I am an unsafe worker or just lucky I havn't been hurt yet after 20 yrs with out an injury and only 1 fender bender in my 2nd yr,{scraped paint on fire hydrent} NOT BITTER,just don't like being treated like a 2nd grader in lunch line!!!

You are not getting a beef from me on this. I would not knowingly jeopardize one of my employees safety.

I have one major requirement for running an operation. I have to be able to sleep at night (or during the day! depending on the operation!!).

If I can't live with myself, you won't find me doing things that are mandated just because someone else says it. Fortunately, I never had to worry about these type of issues.

Occasionally, when I did have an issue, I told the Div or Dist Mgr what my plan was and how I would run the operation to make the goals.

I believed in safety throughout the operation in all areas. A safe operation is a well performing operation. Work on keeping your employee's happy and they will work safer. If you really care about their safety it shines through and they will work with you to make the operation safe.

Sounds like a fairy tale but it depends on the management team and especially the manager. It can work.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sounds like a fairy tale but it depends on the management team and especially the manager. It can work.

once upon a time ups had a great idea. it suggested that upper management's job was to remove barriers that existed for lower level management and let them shine in their sector. that philosophy went all the way to the hourly. who better to know how to do the job than the people that actually did the job. delivery sups were there to coordinate and remove barriers from the driving workforce. that way, you also utilized all 300,000 brains instead of just a select few.

and you know what happened? huge gains in productivity and business growth, and employee job satisfaction.

then came along someone else,who decided that only the ie department has a brain that really mattered, no one else. once again, ups became a bottom up service, again with the focus of the business at the top. with all the trimmings. and your average del sup-center manager has once again become a paper shuffler/sounding board for the sounds of $it rolling down hill

i would love to see the former surface again, but once the egos have the control, rarely do they ever loosen the ropes.

d

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You are not getting a beef from me on this. I would not knowingly jeopardize one of my employees safety.

I have one major requirement for running an operation. I have to be able to sleep at night (or during the day! depending on the operation!!).

If I can't live with myself, you won't find me doing things that are mandated just because someone else says it. Fortunately, I never had to worry about these type of issues.

Occasionally, when I did have an issue, I told the Div or Dist Mgr what my plan was and how I would run the operation to make the goals.

I believed in safety throughout the operation in all areas. A safe operation is a well performing operation. Work on keeping your employee's happy and they will work safer. If you really care about their safety it shines through and they will work with you to make the operation safe.

as in the past I have always respected you post and wish I had worked for a Mgr like you! I just can't respect some of the B.S that some of these young gun sups are pulling these days as I have told you in the past you wouldn't believe the things that go on here now a days... as far as safety,my main goal is to get that feeder back in one piece every morning and go home to my family, I just think it would be nice to see UPS go to bat for any long time employee when it comes to an accident and give the driver the benefit of doubt and not blame him/her right off the bat. In doing so you might as well give the other party involved a blank check if the driver say ""hell yah its my fault they will blame me anyhow"" I have close to 19 yrs safe driving and I would expect them to listen to me before telling me I should of been looking left at the time I was looking right !! I hope you are enjoying your retirement best to you cove

once upon a time ups had a great idea. it suggested that upper management's job was to remove barriers that existed for lower level management and let them shine in their sector. that philosophy went all the way to the hourly. who better to know how to do the job than the people that actually did the job. delivery sups were there to coordinate and remove barriers from the driving workforce. that way, you also utilized all 300,000 brains instead of just a select few.

and you know what happened? huge gains in productivity and business growth, and employee job satisfaction.

then came along someone else,who decided that only the ie department has a brain that really mattered, no one else. once again, ups became a bottom up service, again with the focus of the business at the top. with all the trimmings. and your average del sup-center manager has once again become a paper shuffler/sounding board for the sounds of rolling down hill

i would love to see the former surface again, but once the egos have the control, rarely do they ever loosen the ropes.

d
This down hill slide all started with the plan to have UP$ enter the public stock market. I'm afraid there is no turning back to the good 'ole days.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
This down hill slide all started with the plan to have UP$ enter the public stock market. I'm afraid there is no turning back to the good 'ole days.

i dont know if we want to use the phrase turning back. i prefer to think of it as a hard look at the whole business. the minds of so many is a terrible thing to waste. and how are managers ever going to learn new skills unless they are empowered to challenge the status quo and try something new and innovative.

maybe with the change at the top.........we will have to see what item becomes the flavor of the month/year

d

upsdude

Update…………

All of the warning letters still stand, the drivers received copies in the mail. As of yesterday the local has done NOTHING. As of yesterday the International has done NOTHING.

Teamsters Local 822 = Worthless
IBT National = Worthless

Teamsters for Obama, how about Teamsters for Members?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

there are no provisions under the contract for such action by the company. and that was my question. they are doing an fair days work for the pay they get. nothing in the contract that states ups should be able to misuse safety committees for disciplinary action.

i would be very interested in privately seeing one of these warning letters.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i dont really guess it matters under what made up reason they felt a warning letter is issued. here is a response that has been echoed several times.

They, the warning letters, would be protested and carry no weight as there is no basis for them in the contract. As long as the Employee does not refuse to make an effort. In other words just say I can't remember instead of I don't have to do it.

so you can be given a ton of warning letters for issues not contractual, and their worth to the company is zero when it comes to further disciplinary action.

d

celsiana

A little off topic but it's a little funny. I once went in the Supe's office to print off work sheets. He had a warning letter written on the PC. Of course I read it. He wrote himself up. The warning letter started. " I "SO AND SO" am writing myself up for not following through and making sure the write-ups I issued were not signed off by a Union Stewart......... blah blah blah,,,,,,,,,,,
I had to check it twice. He really wrote himself a warning letter.

DS

Fenderbender
celsiana,thats too funny...I wouldn't be surprised to learn that his boss made him do it.
I once typed up a letter of reprimand for my oncar sup.
I had an optional and told him the day before that one of my pickups was shipping heavy that day and would require a 2nd pickup later in the day.
The 2nd pickup was missed and a certain uniform company was quite pissed off.

At ups we strive to service our customers needs .
On 05/22/07 you failed to follow instructions and an important customer did not get his pickup.
We take pride in ensuring our customers get the service we promise.
Your inabilty to follow instructions caused a service failure.
Consider this letter of reprimand a warning.
If your performance does not improve more discipline may follow,
up to and including dismissal.
He got a good laugh out of it.I asked him later what he did with it,he said I put it in my file.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
celsiana,thats too funny...I wouldn't be surprised to learn that his boss made him do it.
I once typed up a letter of reprimand for my oncar sup.
I had an optional and told him the day before that one of my pickups was shipping heavy that day and would require a 2nd pickup later in the day.
The 2nd pickup was missed and a certain uniform company was quite pissed off.

At ups we strive to service our customers needs .
On 05/22/07 you failed to follow instructions and an important customer did not get his pickup.
We take pride in ensuring our customers get the service we promise.
Your inabilty to follow instructions caused a service failure.
Consider this letter of reprimand a warning.
If your performance does not improve more discipline may follow,
up to and including dismissal.
He got a good laugh out of it.I asked him later what he did with it,he said I put it in my file.

That, was good, DS.

upsdude

Here's one of the warning letters..............................

BTW, the union has yet to take any action, no protest, nothing.
letter.JPG

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
it worked for me as well.

pure bs. as it said on the letterhead, the ba was there as well as the steward?

i still think that if it came down to it that under the contract, they can not fire you for not repeating verbatim the safety points. it is non contractual. it would be interesting what the next step would be. i could forsee some real $ hit hitting the fan.

again, another program that really has great possibilities to do great things being missused by ups managment.

kudos to the division manager that signed it, no brains, all brawn.

d