Hey! Don't I get a receipt?!

FilingBluesFL

I too, wish I knew why people will go to great lengths to chase us down to ask us for a signature for the box they tripped over while running out of their front door to catch us.

I usually try to witty, yet somewhat talking down to them approach.

"Do I need to sign for that?"

"Why would I be over here, if I needed you to sign for that package over there at your front door?"

Or

"If you needed to sign for it, wouldn't I still be standing at your door waiting to get your signature, instead of being all the way over here trying to get to the next stop?"

Maybe it's because they were always so used to signing for stuff back in the paper/clipboard days, but that's been WELL over 10 years ago since we stopped doing paper.

I think the best, is when someone comes running screaming down to you, and ask "DID YOU RING MY DOORBELL?!"

"Yes..."

"OK so what do you want?"

What I absolutely hate, is this old dude, that I had wine for. I angle the DIAD towards him to get him to sign, he snatches it out of my hand, and says "Before I sign for this, I'm going to tell you some things."

He then proceeded to tell me how we suck, and we provide :censored2:ty service because we couldn't tell him up to the minute when his wine would be there at his house, and how tragic it was that he had to sit there and wait for it, and he had better things to do than wait for someone like me to bring him his wine.

Next time, I have an iron grip on that thing, and if he says one word, it goes back to the center on will call.....

bumped

This situation is one I really, truly loathe. Simply because there is nothing I can do to change a COD amount and the customer knows this. Yet, they still insist on wasting our time by saying something like "Please hold on a minute (more like 7 minutes) while I make a quick phone call to the vendor. This is a big mistake on their part". Even after you say again "Sir, I can only accept payment for the amount on the package nothing else can be done", they still want to make the phone call and hold you up.
This really tests my patience. I've been on my same route for about 5 years now and the last thing I want to be is rude to any of my customers. I am blessed to have great ones or at least 95% are great(best route customer wise I've ever pulled and I've pulled over 30). But, how do I get out of there is less than a minute when they insist on making that phone call without looking like a total A-bowl.

I always tell them I can always collect more, but never less. They can call whoever they want, but I'll be back tomorrow after they figure it out.

gingerkat

Maybe you guys could carry a little stash of toilet paper around? When someone asks you for a receipt, start pulling it out of the back of your pants… I doubt they will want it after - lol

oldngray

nowhere special
That reminds of when my wife was at the zoo. She came out of the restroom and started walking around with a trail of toilet paper following her.

gingerkat

LOL. My friend once walked back into the office with an maxi pad stuck to her pants (unused). She was horrified and I laughed at her expense of course.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
UPS drivers are not allowed to enter anything as an unscheduled pickup (although there is that option in the board). We just scan the package and take credit for it as a prepaid package but get no credit for a stop. Sometimes I would be obvious about scanning the package in front of customer so they would see there is a record of it. But when you scan really doesn't matter otherwise.
I use unscheduled pickup and have never once heard a word about it. I only use it when an OMS or someone tells me to go pick something up from a shipper but won't/can't send it to my board.

Future

Victory Ride
I had a lady on my route start up an EBay business. The first time I delivered a package to her, she very seriously tried to explain to me that from that point on she was going to be my first stop of the day, and that her "procedure" for accepting packages would involve opening and inspecting each one prior to signing for it, with me being an "official witness" as to its condition. Needless to say, the conversation we had regarding the true extent of her delusional thinking did not go well. For her at least.
Was she hot? Sorry someone had to ask its BC policy!