Hey Oldtimers...

JackStraw

Do you think the job is easier now than it was say 15-20 years ago? While the workload has increased ,to me it is easier. DR, no paper, no cash C.O.D.'s etc.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The package cars have improved greatly. Power steering, 4-wheel power disc brakes, automatic transmissions, and most importantly the low step.

stepitup

The mental aspect of the job is what takes it toll on me. On Mondays and Fridays you fight for your sanity all while running the air for two or three different routes. Heaven forbid you have an early a.m in a town 25 miles away. But Scratch is right, I do it in a nice, smooth, easy steering package car.

JackStraw

The newer trucks are so much easier on the knees. And from what I've heard of orion, I won't even have to think anymore.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The newer package cars are much better. The rest of the job is definitely not easier. All the FREIGHT we have to deal with. All the time commits and all the increased production harassment just for starters.

No more cash COD's. PAS/EDD which gives you the exact package count and load location. DOL set up nearly in stop for stop order. The job is easier that it was when I first started.

rod

Retired 22 years
I know my opinion don't mean crap being an almost 12 year retired driver but I don't think I could do the job as it is now. My career revolved around delivering a box or picking up a box. It seems to me that the whole UPS method of doing business has gotten too complex with the company trying to please EVERY customer and not taking into consideration that that is impossible. With all the electronical / technical spying BS that the trucks have on them now I picture the drivers with a shock collar wraped around their necks. I'm glad I was able to leave UPS when I did. I tip my hat to you that are still plugging along dreaming of the day you can get out. Give them hell and don't take their first offer on the new contract. They are still making tons of money because of your hard work.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Horse turds on ORION making things easier...at least not now. When I switch to ODO, I am guaranteed an extra hour on that day...which is fine. I get paid by the hour. It needs work. What seems to make sense to the ORION sups is not what makes sense in reality...it's really mind boggling.

JackStraw

Horse turds on ORION making things easier...at least not now. When I switch to ODO, I am guaranteed an extra hour on that day...which is fine. I get paid by the hour. It needs work. What seems to make sense to the ORION sups is not what makes sense in reality...it's really mind boggling.

The thing that I don't get is that they have invested a lot of money in Orion and when things start to go bad they tell you to turn it off? Seems to me that UPS got sold a bill of goods and unfortunately we are going to have to make it work. Any driver worth his or her salt is better than any computer.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So much easier now! There isn't a comparison. Physically, pretty much the same, although, trucks are better, but mentally, it was hard back then!