Hey Smokers

upsgrunt

Plus, the electric one is a lot harder to use with inclement weather. Obviously plugged in, its more of an appliance. It does use wood chips for smoke, so like I said, the flavor is there. But it can only be used as a smoker. And unless you have a screened gazebo type place for it, rain and snow are a no go. It does however do fine around 25 degrees. I did some ribs and they were great.

I tried to use the Traeger several weeks ago when it was like 8 degrees-didn't work so well, and added hours to the total smoke/cook time of a 18 pound brisket.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2070.JPG

Here's a pic of one like mine
I cooked on an old Oklahoma Joes
offset smoker until the bottom rusted out
This thing is total set it and forget it maintains temp at + or - 15dgrees

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I have 2 electric smokers. One is a Masterbuilt "cabinet type" and the other is the round type made by Brinkman and Bayou Classic. I like the Brinkman style way better. The Masterbuilt acts more like a steamer in my opinion because it traps so much moisture inside with a very small vent. It does a good job, but takes forever. Plus the Brinkman runs about $75. It will do everything you need it to do.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
@joeboodog makes fun of mine. But I have one of those new fangled electric smokers. Made by Masterbuilt. I'm a newbie and it takes a lot of the guesswork out as far as temperatures go. Great flavor, just much easier.
That's the whole thing about the charcoal smokers though. The feeling of accomplishment at the end. Hell @Big Arrow Down...D could probably cook with yours. Lol

Once I figured out to cook with my weber so that it's basically set and forget it at 225-250 I was stoked.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

$400 for that? As opposed to $300 for an Akorn?

No freaking way. A kamado type cooker is way more than just a smoker. A grill and an outdoor oven come to mine right away. Keep the lid open and the bottom very wide open and you can do a thick steak in minutes. Close the lid and open the vents and you have an almost perfect pizza oven.

Hell, I roast chickens, cook pot roast and have made smoked chili on mine. The possibilities are endless.

Brownslave688

$400 for that? As opposed to $300 for an Akorn?

No freaking way. A kamado type cooker is way more than just a smoker. A grill and an outdoor oven come to mine right away. Keep the lid open and the bottom very wide open and you can do a thick steak in minutes. Close the lid and open the vents and you have an almost perfect pizza oven.

Hell, I roast chickens, cook pot roast and have made smoked chili on mine. The possibilities are endless.
He said he already had a grill. And wasn't looking for anything other than a smoker.

That's $400 more because of the size. You could smoke 6 maybe 8 pork shoulders on it.

Brownslave688

Honestly, how often are most people going to smoke that much meat?
I agree. There's much smaller versions of the same thing. I just linked the first I saw.

Me personally I always do at least two shoulders at once. Ribs are where the extra surface area really comes in handy though. Cooking enough ribs for 30,40,50 people can be a little hard to find the room for.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I agree. There's much smaller versions of the same thing. I just linked the first I saw.

Me personally I always do at least two shoulders at once. Ribs are where the extra surface area really comes in handy though. Cooking enough ribs for 30,40,50 people can be a little hard to find the room for.

Well, there you go.

I will do ribs for maybe a dozen people at once. I can fit two 8-10 lb shoulders in my Akorn easily, and that's quite a bit of meat.

My rig is pushing 5 years old, and starting to show it's age. I may go to Sam's this spring and price out a Vision ceramic kamado.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
This is the one I use. Been thru several smokers. I finally paid the $$$. Probably the last one I ever buy. Great features. You can set it by time, or internal temp of whatever you're cooking. When it reaches that temp, it drops down to warming mode. It is wider than most and can hold a whole slab of pork ribs without curling or cutting them.. My old smoker probably weighed 35 lbs. This one's shipping weight is 175 lbs. It is not cheap, but is commercial quality.
AmeriQue Smoker Oven Model SM066 | Cookshack

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
This is the one I use. Been thru several smokers. I finally paid the $$$. Probably the last one I ever buy. Great features. You can set it by time, or internal temp of whatever you're cooking. When it reaches that temp, it drops down to warming mode. It is wider than most and can hold a whole slab of pork ribs without curling or cutting them.. My old smoker probably weighed 35 lbs. This one's shipping weight is 175 lbs. It is not cheap, but is commercial quality.
AmeriQue Smoker Oven Model SM066 | Cookshack
It'll ship through us at an amazing 149 pounds