hiring drivers

B

brownsyr

just read where ups is hiring feeder drivers for the summer at worldport. what happened to trainging union brothers and sisters?

S

spidey

I may be wrong, but I think these are temporary positions. To pull someone off a sort and let them drive for 2 months means they would have to replace their current position for 2 months as well. It's also a way to feel out drivers for outside hires.

G

gadistrict

Yes these positions have clearly been labeled temporary until August. They also do not guarantee a set number of hours. Who the heck wants the drive a feeder for a measly $14.00 and change per hour?

F

fredly00

"Who the heck wants the drive a feeder for a measly $14.00 and change per hour?"

I dunno, compared to busting your hump loading/unloading for $10/hr you get to sit and drive a rig for several hours...

Thats only if you pass the two week feeder school.

B

brownsyr

<font color="000000"><font face="arial,helvetica"></font>i think you hit the nail on the head. ups does not want to run the feeder school to train new drivers. beshides some full-timers may want to sit behind a wheel for the summer and maybe even get out during peak. just another way for ups to get around the union. would the temp drivers have to join the teamsters?</font>}

G

gadistrict

The temps would not have to join the union. They would run under an exemption to the contract that requries them to join if they work more then 30 days in a 60 day period.

O

ok2bclever

In our state (a close shop state) proups is correct.

If you work in a union capacity job you pay union dues, regardless of whether you are a seasonal employee or how many hours, days, etc you work.

S

safety

This is the labor dept. protecting their butt. Before they hire from outside they have to offer to all part timers who meet the qualifactons of outside
hires. There will be very few part timers if any that have a CDL with class T endorsement, over two years of all weather tractor trailer excperience and a clean driving record.

S

smf0605

Temp employees have to join the union. Most feeder drivers that are casual are already teamsters so they dont have to pay the initiation fee, but they do pay the dues.