Holidays....

jerseyupser

Yes your right and those people are morally wrong for doing that. Hang out with your family and relax. We don't have many holidays to do so. And seems like they are talking more and more from us and other corporate employees.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It's the idiots that go shopping at 7pm on Thanksgiving

Winner Winner! Chicken dinner.

I say that to everyone that complains. For YEARS morons have been leaving thanksgiving dinner at 5pm to go wait in line for "doorbuster deals" at midnight to get a $.13 dvd player or $300 75" T.V. It was only a matter of time until retailers responded the way that they are now. Whereas I'd be VERY pissed if I worked at Walmart and had to work Thanksgiving day, but you can't place the blame on the company in ths case. Blame all the losers who made it a fiscally viable option to be open on the holiday.

Soon enough atheists will complain that everything should be open on Christmas because it's not fair otherwise. Just wait.

Pooter

My driver is going to hate me because I'm doing all my shopping online :D

I pay for shipping! Not lugging that :censored2: to my car >:( Jk

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Winner Winner! Chicken dinner.

I say that to everyone that complains. For YEARS morons have been leaving thanksgiving dinner at 5pm to go wait in line for "doorbuster deals" at midnight to get a $.13 dvd player or $300 75" T.V. It was only a matter of time until retailers responded the way that they are now. Whereas I'd be VERY :censored2: if I worked at Walmart and had to work Thanksgiving day, but you can't place the blame on the company in ths case. Blame all the losers who made it a fiscally viable option to be open on the holiday.

Soon enough atheists will complain that everything should be open on Christmas because it's not fair otherwise. Just wait.

The only thing I would stand in line for at midnight on Thanksgiving would be a life-saving, limited supply medication for my family. There is NOTHING I need that would compel me to be in that madness. My two girls went to our local mall one year and said it was crazy, but fun. I'll pass.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I am 177 and yes I am working.

Then you sir are just as guilty as corporate America is of destroying our holidays by helping to perpetuate the madness.

177 and I think 804 are the only two locals left in the entire country where the company cannot force you to work on Black Friday.

IMHO, if you are 177/804 and you are working Black Friday it's a slap in the face to your brother and sister Teamsters everywhere else in the country that don't have a choice.

bluebiker

I'm in 177, I don't see anywhere in the contract where it's optional not to work. I think if they don't get enough "volunteers" they could force from the bottom up.

It's also triple time, (holiday pay + double time for hours worked), kind of hard to pass up. Drivers will make approximately $100 an hour. It's the day AFTER Thanksgiving, you can still spend the day with your family.

I was surprised we got the day off when I started. We only get 6 Holidays in 177, there has been work for drivers for years, all the casuals would have to work (in feeders), then a lot of senior drivers were coming in for the trip time.

jaker

trolling
Corporate America is slowly but surely destroying all of our holidays. Atleast in my opinion. Walmart may be the leader.
Greedy people are killing the holidays not a store , you can't blame a store or UPS for responding to what the costumer wants

Look at all the greedy workers we have at ups , if we stood up as a group and all called out friday then they would think different about it but it won't happen money is a very powerful thing and greed is even bigger

UPSwife0174

I purposely did not shop at all Black Friday last year because I find the new trend of opening earlier and earlier to be ridiculous and somewhat disgusting. Getting up at 4 a.m. one day a year was a silly, if insane (but fun!) thing to do with my girlfriends but the whole greediness of people (retailers and consumers) has pretty much ruined it. I find it absurd that stores now feel the need to be open all day Thanksgiving, and every single employee is pretty much forced to work. Enough is enough. :bored2:

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I'm in 177, I don't see anywhere in the contract where it's optional not to work. I think if they don't get enough "volunteers" they could force from the bottom up.

It's also triple time, (holiday pay + double time for hours worked), kind of hard to pass up. Drivers will make approximately $100 an hour. It's the day AFTER Thanksgiving, you can still spend the day with your family.

I was surprised we got the day off when I started. We only get 6 Holidays in 177, there has been work for drivers for years, all the casuals would have to work (in feeders), then a lot of senior drivers were coming in for the trip time.

It's recognized as a company holiday. If they don't get enough volunteers they're screwed plain and simple. It happened a number of years ago in a 177 building and they were calling supervisors in from the Catskills building in NY.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Then you sir are just as guilty as corporate America is of destroying our holidays by helping to perpetuate the madness.

177 and I think 804 are the only two locals left in the entire country where the company cannot force you to work on Black Friday.

IMHO, if you are 177/804 and you are working Black Friday it's a slap in the face to your brother and sister Teamsters everywhere else in the country that don't have a choice.
So I'm supposed to turn down double time plus holiday pay because I'm in 804? Sorry, I pay my dues the same as you...and I "choose" not to turn down a $400 day. If my Teamster brothers and sisters can't understand that...perhaps they'd care to pay my bills for the month?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
So I'm supposed to turn down double time plus holiday pay because I'm in 804? Sorry, I pay my dues the same as you...and I "choose" not to turn down a $400 day. If my Teamster brothers and sisters can't understand that...perhaps they'd care to pay my bills for the month?

Again, just my opinion. You do what you want. But save the "pay my bills" nonsense.

You seem to forget who had YOUR back when that lunatic that you elected decided to go wildcat back in February and almost cost you your jobs. It certainly wasn't the company standing by your side.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Again, just my opinion. You do what you want. But save the "pay my bills" nonsense.

You seem to forget who had YOUR back when that lunatic that you elected decided to go wildcat back in February and almost cost you your jobs. It certainly wasn't the company standing by your side.
There are 13 buildings in 804...the wildcat didn't happen in my buiding and that lunatic wasn't my BA.