Honest opinion needed on going from seasonal DH to Package Handler

Justaloader

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I really do appreciate it. It sounds like it really is a YMMV thing. At any rate, it has been a good seasonal job for me and I was glad UPS gave me a chance to do the job (though it seems anyone with a pulse could qualify haha).
One last question: If I were to some day get a job inside the building, would they try to eventually find a job that suits me? In other words, if I did have trouble with really heavy items, is there a job inside that is somewhat easier physically? Is that what small sorts is?

Yes - small sorts is the place they send people that can't (age, disability, etc), or won't (don't want to drive, load, unload, etc), do anything else. In my hub, it's filled with people that haven't retired yet, but are close to doing so. You have two jobs there - grab packages or small boxes, scan them, and toss them in to the bin that lights up, or, you can bag the items when the bins get full (which means literally emptying a bin, putting those packages in a bigger bag, printing a label, slapping the label on the bag, and sending it on it's way). I can teach my 5 year old both jobs in less than 10 minutes. I'm not being sarcastic at all - it's a very, very easy position.

Mindless wonder

To get noticed, you have to have kick-ass under-allowed performance numbers.(UPS time-study's every route to see when a driver should finish his deliveries & pick-ups) It also depends on what the driver does before/after he picks you up.The best preloader I had was a small/petite girl like yourself.I always gave her a $100.00 tip for her hard work.good luck

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Yes - small sorts is the place they send people that can't (age, disability, etc), or won't (don't want to drive, load, unload, etc), do anything else. In my hub, it's filled with people that haven't retired yet, but are close to doing so. You have two jobs there - grab packages or small boxes, scan them, and toss them in to the bin that lights up, or, you can bag the items when the bins get full (which means literally emptying a bin, putting those packages in a bigger bag, printing a label, slapping the label on the bag, and sending it on it's way). I can teach my 5 year old both jobs in less than 10 minutes. I'm not being sarcastic at all - it's a very, very easy position.
Your union sucks. Ours is unzip bag, dump bag, sort smalls to the labelmaker that shoots them on, and the two you mentioned. And individual people each do them.

I miss the hub...
I built 10 pointers....
Picture perfect walls all day.

I'd rather load trailers at night... driving isn't exactly worth missing your kids grow up...it just pays the bills

pale

My first peak as a DH was in 2016, and I came back with the same driver in 2017 and he hounded management to get me off his truck and onto preload so I could have a chance to prove myself. Coming up on my 2 year mark as part-time in January,