Honor Flight

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
What a great idea to help these heroes go to DC to see the WW II Memorial. These guys are up there in their years now, I cherish every one of them. I wish my father had lived long enough to see it. He fought with the 10th Division in Italy. A few years before he died, he went back there to see the area, carrying a camera instead of a Browning Automatic Rifle. He was the typical veteran, he would sometimes talk about the places he saw, but never about his combat experiences. He was one of the finest men I have ever known, and is greatly missed.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Scratch... check the registry.

If your father is not listed in the registry... register him...honor him...allow other soldiers that recall serving with him find again in this place of National Honor. It may seem like a long shot but I have heard stories of these Vets opening up and wondering if so and so is in the registry.

This is not ancestry dot com...this is our National Park System.

Make this a project and involve your son or daughter / grandchildren. Allow them the opportunity to be part of remembrance that they may pass on to your future great-grand children.

National WWII Memorial

Welcome to the WWII Registry! The memory of America's World War II generation is preserved within the physical memorial and through the World War II Registry of Remembrances, an individual listing of Americans who contributed to the war effort. Any U.S. citizen who helped win the war, whether a veteran or someone on the home front, is eligible for the Registry. Names in the Registry will be forever linked to the memorial's bronze and granite representations of their sacrifice and achievement.

The Registry combines four distinct databases that can be searched for names of those whose service and sacrifice helped win the Second World War. The Registry includes the names of Americans who are:

Buried in American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC) overseas military cemeteries.
Memorialized on ABMC Tablets of the Missing.
Listed on official War and Navy Department Killed in Service rosters now held by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).
Honored by public enrollment in the Registry of Remembrances.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Very nice. Sad that alot of the veterans didn't get a chance to be honored but at least we can honor their memories.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Rod's words...
I've never met a more life loving upbeat group of people in my life. You could just feel their excitement over getting to visit our Nations Capitol. Although most of them used canes, walkers or wheel chairs you just got the feeling they would beat you in a foot race that day.

Pulling up the past. aj

bigbrownhen

Scratch, I feel the same way about my Grandpa. He served in the Phillippines. Left the top half of his left thigh over there. He didn't talk much about the actual fighting, just what it was like to serve with certain people, and how the bullets were too old at first, being hungry for days. It had to be done, endured, and achieved. It was. I have an Army news article clipping with his named mentioned opening the gates to a POW camp when it was liberated. He never talked about that one, found it in a book after he died.