Horrible retirement party in Lakeland, FL

T

tieguy

Wornout you seem to have dissapeared. Is it true the driver in lakeland had coffee and donuts for the entire center as well as friends, family and district staff?

D

dammor

I guess we are all different. I won't need a marching band to lead my exit. When I leave I will be very aware of what I have accomplished.
I've never cared about doughnuts anyway. I'd settle for a hug, or a pat on the back.
JMO

W

wornoutupser

Wornout has not disappeared!
He is waiting for Monday to make a few phone calls!

L

local804

To answer the question for what has the teamsters done for the departing brother, I will answer.First and most important, they kept him his job.You all know that if there was no union, UPS would have found some reason to boot out some of the old timers and get some new fresh blood in the truck.Lets face it, they dont work nearly as fast as the newbies.As ups always says "its a business move, or company needs" Now for number two, how about the awesome pension,I dont think UPS would ever give us 25 and out without the teamsters and I am sure as hell we would not be making 25 bucks an hour (compared to fedex and a very valid point).And to finish up what does the teamsters do for the exiting brother, Well here in NY, a hall is rented out(or bar) and all the food and booze is paid for from the members for the brother and his family> Unlike UPS management, the member is more than just a number to us and we will miss him.

T

tieguy

Why 804 don't forget if not for the teamsters management would also find a reason to round up the retiring teamsters family and inter them in a concentration camp and feed them bread and water. Of course the family would have been expected to pay for the bread and water served them. This is a business after all.

D

dannyboy

MAybe its just the day that I have had but......
rofl.gif

d

U

upsdude

Lets not forget that UPS offered 25 and out in WRITING (Contract offer 1997). The Teamsters have only promised me 25 and out. I dont know about your fund but mine is unwilling to guarantee me 25 and out in writing. My fund has guaranteed to limit my ability to work after retiring from UPS though.

K

kidlogic

Upsdude to take one perk out of a contract offering without knowing the complete structure of that offered contract is meaningless. I realise that the Union pensions have many faults and I wish for the 25 out in writing too. The problem is if the company suddenly went through bad times and controled the pension then offered us less wage or no pension then where would be. Look at our pension like an investment. Never have all your investments in one stock. It's not smart.
If I had it my way we would use a finacial compamy directly and bybass the Union and the company. Safer that way. If there is really a safe place.

D

deliver_man

<font color="ff0000">Lets not forget that UPS offered 25 and out in WRITING (Contract offer 1997)</font>
Once they had full control of the pension fund they could just as easily have rescinded that offer, claiming economic hardship (and justifiably so, considering what happened to the economy after 9/11). Lets also not forget that the company tried to circumvent the framework of the collective bargaining agreement making an offer directly to the employees, and that the offer was made in the form of a highlighted list of things that the company thought we would like, rather than a complete copy of the entire "final offer". That doesn't mean that the Teamsters were blameless, but always remember that the company's actions are based in what it percieves to be it's own best interests (as they should be), and those interests don't always coincide with ours. Bottom line, I think all the regulars on this board already have strong opinons about the strike, one way or the other, but none of those can change what happened. Time to move on.

T

tieguy

"Lets also not forget that the company tried to circumvent the framework of the collective bargaining agreement making an offer directly to the employees"

If you felt the teamster leadership was misrepresenting what had been offered what would you do?

L

local804

UPSDUDE,
We have 25 and out here in the Local 804.I dont know what goes on with these locals outside of NY, but our guys are out at 25 full time years of service.I know I got paid double time plus the holiday on election day, I know our local gets a 25 and out pension,I know we get 6 sick days and 5 OPH`s, but I see that alot of you guys dont get some of this.Dont quote me on the figures, but I think we get 3,200 a month with 30 years in.I am not no where near that point yet, so I really dont pay too much attention to the retirement side of things.Maybe you guys should call up your business agent and see what the heck is going on in your supplimentals. Something sounds wrong here.

M

muncher

I have a question, dose anyone know how or if your part-time years convert to your full time penion plan?

L

local804

Muncher, in our local,it depends on how many hours you worked in your part time years.For example, if you worked 750 hours part time you would then recieve 1/2 year full time pension.It is constantly changing from contract to contract so by the time you retire it will be different.Ask your business agent or steward what your local does.

D

dannyboy

Yes and no. It all depends. But then that is another story that the final chapter has not been written.

OF course UPS in the 97 final offer did offer full recognition for all part time years.........

d

W

wornoutupser

I finally got through to the employee that retired.
There was no district or division staff on hand for his retirement.