Hour 8 request help

barnyard

KTM rider
I am in central and that is the way 8 hour requests in my building have been handled for at least the last year. I have a steward in my loop and he has lost 8 hour requests to the highest seniority guy in the loop. He did not grieve it, so I have not looked at the actual language. I am very familiar with the contract and discuss it frequently with the steward (his car is next to mine in the lineup.)

I'll ask him about it tomorrow, but this is one of those things that could be a bad deal for me. We have have 6 loops in our building, so 1 person in each loop could have an 8 hour every day. I could see a scenario where because of that, I would never get an 8 hour, because we have loops where everyone in the loop has more seniority than me (I have 16 years FT seniority, so it is not like I am a noob looking for some short days.)

IAmADumbDriver

Drivers in my loop we all get together and rotate weeks so we work together on days. If volume is high one week we all put up same days so dispatch has to put in an extra run in our loop.

542thruNthru

Central region
Screenshot_20190714-175455_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I am in central and that is the way 8 hour requests in my building have been handled for at least the last year. I have a steward in my loop and he has lost 8 hour requests to the highest seniority guy in the loop. He did not grieve it, so I have not looked at the actual language. I am very familiar with the contract and discuss it frequently with the steward (his car is next to mine in the lineup.)

I'll ask him about it tomorrow, but this is one of those things that could be a bad deal for me. We have have 6 loops in our building, so 1 person in each loop could have an 8 hour every day. I could see a scenario where because of that, I would never get an 8 hour, because we have loops where everyone in the loop has more seniority than me (I have 16 years FT seniority, so it is not like I am a noob looking for some short days.)
I’ve been told I was denied because of loop. I simply tell them that’s fine I’ll come off that route for the day but give me my 8 hour.

35years

Gravy route
Thanks for posting the language.

In the Central...

They don't have to let ALL the drivers in one loop off. If you have 5 in a loop, 4 get the 8 hr, not just one.

Tell them in the morning you won't get them all off and will have to bring back missed. Then remind them with a diad text around noon, and then tell them via diad text how many you are bringing back missed.

You want to give them the opportunity to give you help.

You are relieved from all duties after 8 hours, not 8.5 hours. They will claim they can work you 8.5. Tell them no, 8 hours not 8.5 and bring them back missed.