How are they going to keep PTers after next month.

One thing to also keep in mind is that UPS looks a whole lot better on a resume years down the road than McDonald's. Which would you look more favorably on, a company that flips burgers, or somebody working hard moving packages. It says more about work ethic than anything.

I agree, but changing the subject a little bit, do you find yourself telling ppl that you work for UPS, and have them reply by saying "Wow, you must make really good money" My take home after 401k and dues is right around $75, Yeah I'm rolling in it. :happy-very:

MarePare

One thing to also keep in mind is that UPS looks a whole lot better on a resume years down the road than McDonald's. Which would you look more favorably on, a company that flips burgers, or somebody working hard moving packages. It says more about work ethic than anything.quote]

Yes and no. UPS has a name recognition that is much different than McDonald's, so it would look better on a resume. However, I think that the general population has absolutely no idea how hard most UPSers work.

When I was in school, one of my professors asked me in all seriousness, "So can you bring your textbooks with to study while you're working?"

My response was, "We get a 10 minute break. Otherwise I don't really stop moving."

Not to mention the concept that some people think that drivers only have about 50 packages to deliver all day at their leisure - which we all know is far far from reality.

So I'm not sure that UPS necessarily makes the average person think of hard work and a strong work ethic (although it should!).

WhatPCM

Insubordinator
I agree, but changing the subject a little bit, do you find yourself telling ppl that you work for UPS, and have them reply by saying "Wow, you must make really good money" My take home after 401k and dues is right around $75, Yeah I'm rolling in it. :happy-very:

Only $75. How many hours are you working? Holy crap!! Most people when they find out that I work for UPS give me the ole "thats a great company to work for" bit.

LKLND3380

I feel there is a very good reason Part-Time wages are low and for the 1-year wait for benefits.
Part -time wages in the contract spell out the MINIMUM not the MAXIMUM people can be paid... UPS can start preloaders at $26.00 an hour if they want to, there is nothing in the master agtreement preventing them from doing so. I know of atleast one guy in our building that was started at $9.50 doing pick off...