How did Peak go for you?

Pip

According to our center manager, overall we had a really smooth peak. there were a couple times when things got a little stressed, but even the problems got worked out without to much disruption.

I think everybody is tired and glad we made it through another peak.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
man I had 32 yrs of driveing I would go to feeders before you have your back go out.And If you can retire why are you still working?
I started P/T back in '75, went into Package FT in '84. I am in Central States, can't retire. I like dealing with customers, have no desire to drive Feeder, could have went to Feeder School fifteen years ago. I'm 48, my body is in pretty good shape.

My Peak went well. Great Preloader and "Track Star" Helper. I started a Helper in October, so I was loaded up more than usual after that. We usually were done by 5:30 with over 200 stops on a tight DR route. Worst day was last Wednesday, 264 stops and got off at 8PM. Friday I was done at 5, had to go help another driver. I started that day by going to the Atlanta Airport to get my EAMs at 6:30AM, we had one late air meet about 2PM. For the most part our NDA was good the rest of the season. It will be clean up time this week, it usually takes me a few days to slow myself down to a more normal pace. I hope everyone is enjoying their much deserved time off with the Family. After all, they are the reason we do this job!:santa:

O

oldupsman

Well Beatupbrown I'm with you. My 32nd peak also. Hired as a peak driver in 75 and been behind the wheel of a package car from day 1. One of the better peaks I've had. The weather was great throughout here in the northeast and we finally seemed to have enough help. But it's my last peak too. I'm 55 and have decided it's time to try something else in life. I have no clue what I'm going to do and no current plans. Just feel it's time to walk out the door and find a new life. I'm not angry, I'm not bitter, and have nothing bad to say about UPS. The job is what it is. And it's not for everyone who walks in the door. But it has all worked out for me.

Leftinbuilding

This was my 34th peak and probably the smoothest I've seen. Peak is always very stressful and exhausting. But, when it is over there is a sense of accomplishment and camaraderie that I always enjoy. Peak is teamwork at its best. To my fellow UPS ers--good job!! Think of the millions of happy children this day. We are good!

browniehound

This was my 34th peak and probably the smoothest I've seen. Peak is always very stressful and exhausting. But, when it is over there is a sense of accomplishment and camaraderie that I always enjoy. Peak is teamwork at its best. To my fellow UPS ers--good job!! Think of the millions of happy children this day. We are good!
Hey Left, thats what I enjoy most about peak, the sense of camaraderie. It exists between hourlies and management and I like that also. For once, it seems like we're on the same team:thumbup1:

I am a loader. We did not have a Peak Season this year! 3 1/2 - 4 hours shift. And we did not have this many scans. Economy is bad, gentleman, and UPS business is down.... What do you think?

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think people had enough money to shop all throughout the year. Instead of at the last rush. JMO, I think the economy is great seeing what I saw Sept, through DEC. Maybe not mine or yours.

browniehound

I am a loader. We did not have a Peak Season this year! 3 1/2 - 4 hours shift. And we did not have this many scans. Economy is bad, gentleman, and UPS business is down.... What do you think?
I think the economy is in good shape except for, perhaps, a downturn in the housing market. I also believe the volume at UPS is up over the same period as last year. So I don't know what the heck you're talking about.:tongue_sm

Foamer Pyle

Here in central Florida, I would have to say this was one of the worst peaks I have worked. This was my 19th peak and I can not believe how cheap UPS was on helpers and the Budget Trucks. Normally in my loop there are three cars, and during Christmas they put in two more routes. This year they put in a half a run?? So we all got jammed every day and of course they were being stingy on the helper hours. Last week I did not have a day with less than 300 stops, and forcing me to work Saturday was just icing on the cake. This year I will be bidding on a commercial route.

hoser

Industrial Slob
peak went disturbingly well. very disturbingly well. better than non-peak days. it's almost as if something was being managed correctly. we were all worried.

khanawalt

KennyH
Not good. Mother Nature threw a wrench in the works last Wednesday with the Great Holiday Blizzard of 2006. They called us back to the center a little after noon, kept us home Thursday, we worked Friday just delivering the leftover Wednesday stuff, since they didn't do a sort, and made us work Saturday (never had to do in 22 years) still trying to get Wednesday's stuff off.

I have a rural route and they didn't let me do it Saturday, instead sending it out with the rural guy next to me, who only delivered his stuff and brought all of mine back. I got the chore of trying to deliver residentials in town with a helper (haven't had a helper since the '80's) so I just sheeted while he ran packages, and I did get a few cigars smoked. They finally did a sort today, and I had a lot of work but got it all delivered. I never did fail to clean, except the day they called us in early. Nice that they reward a guy who gets the job done by giving his work to someone who doesn't.

Tomorrow we will probably get everything in the sort and it'll be another heavy one. The in-town guys can't get their stuff delivered because none of the side streets are plowed and getting stuck is normal for them. I hope they just let me have my route and get my job accomplished without any questionable management adjustments. We all know about those, eh?

Some customers are a tad unreasonable. I had one guy who lives right on a main, plowed road tell me there's not much we can do with all the snow and wind after I mentioned that his packages probably should've been there last week. The very next stop was a guy who lived a couple of miles off that main road where I had to hit some drifts and rely on momentum and my new Bridgestone Blizzaks to get me to his house. He cantankerously refused a package from Best Buy (ground) because it was too late, and Fed Ex Ground had been there Saturday with something else he had ordered after the one I brought.

I told him that it hadn't been on a truck for delivery until today, and he said our own website had it in our center Friday morning. I can't control whether they run a sort or not. Guess he thinks we're incompetent. Fed Ex uses rented SUVs up there, and has a lot less to do. Ah, well, the joys of Christmas.

LKLND3380

Here in central Florida, I would have to say this was one of the worst peaks I have worked. This was my 19th peak and I can not believe how cheap UPS was on helpers and the Budget Trucks. Normally in my loop there are three cars, and during Christmas they put in two more routes. This year they put in a half a run?? So we all got jammed every day and of course they were being stingy on the helper hours. Last week I did not have a day with less than 300 stops, and forcing me to work Saturday was just icing on the cake.

What can Bob Waitkus do to you?

Maybe he will share his bonus check with you