How difficult was the transition?

oldngray

nowhere special
How difficult was it to change over from clipboards and paper delivery records to the Diad 1?
Any Oldtimers who remember this?

The biggest problem was they changed the paper records then to to mimic scanned barcodes, so you never wanted to revert to paper unless you had to. DIAD 1 was very unreliable so we did have to frequently go back to paper anyway. UPS never claimed DIAD was faster than paper. only that it was "just as fast". Then after the paper records were changed DIAD was faster, but only because paper was made slower.

rod

Retired 22 years
How difficult was it to change over from clipboards and paper delivery records to the Diad 1?

I remember we all thought it was a big joke. Especially at first when you had to stop every hour or so and phone in the tracking information and listen to that god awful squeeking and squawking. Before we went "live" with it they let us take one home --supposedly to practice with it. The first thing you did was hit a wrong button and get locked into a screen you didn't know how to get out of. After that it was fun to tease the family cat with the lazer light. For a long time you always had to keep a pad or two of sheeting paper with you because the DIAD was always breaking down. The first time I realized it was a useful tool was one day when a large dog came at me. it made a hell of a weapon

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
You always had paper back up because they had a bad tendency to freeze up. They made wild claims about how sturdy they were so some drivers put them through the ringer. When DIAD 2 came out they told us that "it's a delicate piece of equipment."

rod

Retired 22 years
You always had paper back up because they had a bad tendency to freeze up. They made wild claims about how sturdy they were so some drivers put them through the ringer. When DIAD 2 came out they told us that "it's a delicate piece of equipment."[/QUOTE]

But being the DIAD 2 had a handle on it you could actually get a better swing at a dog with it.

govols019

You smell that?
Lord, I had forgotten about having to put the phone up to the DIAD.

I still carry paper records with me in my bag to this day.

Wizzy

At first we had to type the tracking #. The day we got use the scanner was like finally entering the 20th century. Can't wait for the same feeling with Orien! Just hope it happens.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Everyone hated it at first as I recall, including myself. A short time later, we all would never want to go back.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I went into feeders around '85, we were still on the 50 line paper delivery record with the banker's clip and carbon paper. I never had the pleasure to use a diad, which is probably a good thing, since I'm technologically challenged for the most part.

PT Car Washer

When I went into feeders around '85, we were still on the 50 line paper delivery record with the banker's clip and carbon paper. I never had the pleasure to use a diad, which is probably a good thing, since I'm technologically challenged for the most part.
They really have gotten easier to use with every new model. Don't care too much for the touch screen on the latest model.

govols019

You smell that?

Then IVIS must have given you fits.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Took me about an hour to get used to it. The DIAD 1 was easy to figure out, back then we had a lot less delivery information to deal with.