How do I get part timers more involved in the union?

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Our inside part time guys are making more money than a first year cover driver to do 70% less work and suck at it. Inside rate hasn’t been minimum wage where I’m at at least since I’ve been here. I don’t think taking a box from a trailer and putting it on a belt for four hours is worth 20$ an hour and full medical benefits.

we should at least be getting paid 20. Yeah, it’s only 4 hours, but of non-stop work. You’re making it sound easy. If it was easy why can’t they get anyone to stay?

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

The work sucks…if they are paying $20/hr for it it’s because people voted with their feet and refused to do it for less.
Which is the way it should be. I believe it was temporary. I think it’s come down since then.
we should at least be getting paid 20. Yeah, it’s only 4 hours, but of non-stop work. You’re making it sound easy. If it was easy why can’t they get anyone to stay?
because this generation are a bunch of entitled whiney wusses. I worked inside for two years making 8.00$ an hour and didn’t complain because I knew in a few years I would be making top rate as a driver. I didn’t expect a living wage or a career out of a part time entry level job. Same goes for these people demanding 20$ an hour to work at McDonald’s. You’re not supposed to get a wage like that from a job like that. Which is why I love every time I walk into a fast food place or a gas station and the cashier has been replaced with a kiosk.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Which is the way it should be. I believe it was temporary. I think it’s come down since then.

because this generation are a bunch of entitled whiney wusses. I worked inside for two years making 8.00$ an hour and didn’t complain because I knew in a few years I would be marking top rate as a driver. I didn’t expect instant gratification.

I knew this post was coming 🤦🏻‍♂️. The price of living was cheaper back then. 15 not enough, at this point not even enough for gas. I understand how it works here, you put in your time. This gen doesn’t have the time sit and wait hoping for a call to become a driver or inside, which takes even longer. Especially when your rent is like 2,000 lol

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
I don’t blame people for quitting ups it’s a trash company. They dangle the benefits over your head as an excuse for the :censored2:ty work environment. I’m in it for the long run though, so I’ve become numb to it. I’m just saying they want guys stick around pay higher.

I don’t blame people for quitting ups it’s a trash company. They dangle the benefits over your head as an excuse for the :censored2:ty work environment. I’m in it for the long run though, so I’ve become numb to it. I’m just saying they want guys stick around pay higher.
Longer meaning more then a couple hours. Or a couple days. When I started UPS was a small package delivery company. 50lb limit and very few irregs. Preloaders made $.50/hr less then full rate drivers after 90 days. Moving refrigerators and air conditioners and furniture through the system was unheard of. Call a freight company. As the wages got less and less, the work became harder and harder.

Commercial Inside Release

The way I see it is... You have good locals & bad locals. The bad ones are just guys that don't want to do anything, and they're getting away with it. Does that make the union bad? No! But, it doesn't help, either. Non-union work is anything goes, dog eat dog. Without the union, things would be much worse.

One thing, however, is the part time wages are far too low. Walmart pays $20\hr & Target pays $24\hr to just stock shelves. Here we are paying minimum wage AND taking out union dues and initiation fees -- for what? Negotiating higher wages is pretty basic and fundamental to being a member of a union.

For chrissakes there are MRA part time wages at UPS in select areas that are $27-30\hr.

Thebrownblob

This hit me. Hard. The question is does it even matter? Your union reps are all getting paid and have a pension that is funded with or without your approval. It doesn't matter to them if you get fired or not maybe they do but that would only be because they're not getting your money anymore. Now they have to get it from some other loser.

This post was exactly what I saw and felt in my warehouse. The attitude was what you described perfectly. Then I come on these forums and you got guys who say stewarts are capable people. They can actually do stuff. So many union cheerleaders and I'll never understand why

Who is Stewart?

Thebrownblob

If the union wanted people to be interested and to participate they would find a way. They’re happy collecting dues and making back room deals with corporate and the government. All three parties get paid and the peasants stay quiet and subservient. Nobody throws a wrench into anything and everyone stays happy. In all my years here I’ve never had a steward fight for me in the office. First and only thing they want to do is settle for a warning letter. My 9.5 grievances go unanswered and unpaid for months and nobody can tell me what’s going on with them. They didn’t do anything when I was kicked off my bid route and made a full time cover driver again. Zero outreach. I’m still bitter about the contract vote a few years ago. What’s the point in participating if they just disregard your vote and ram the contract through anyway? No vote on the master and a no vote on our supplemental and both were passed anyways. Why would anyone be interested?

I’ve been privy to lots of negotiations and hearings and panels, I’ve never once heard any “back room deals” that would hurt membership, usually it’s a deal made to get someone there job back that is otherwise in pretty deep trouble.

If you filed 9.5, did you file in a timely manner?

How many 9.5s did you file? We had an arbitration case that says the word “continual” means two grievances have to be filed in a 95 period. The first one is put on hold until the second one is filed and you get paid for both and all the rest and that period.

Did your steward get your grievance signed?

Did you retain a copy?

If you did all those things and then contacted your local and still received no information did you file labor board charges?

In regards to the previous contract vote the 2/3 rule was a valid provision in the international Constitution. The idea behind it was to protect the union if there was low voter turn out, which would also mean low participation in a strike which could break the union. It was disliked by the membership and removed in the subsequent Convention per memberships demand just like it supposed to work.

Very often I hear people say “the union” It’s really just a lazy man’s way of saying “I don’t want to do it, I want somebody else to do it”
If you’re not happy with your leader ship run for office, those men and women who are at your local union hall are just like you, if they’re not doing their jobs send them back to work at whatever company they came from.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
That’s
This hit me. Hard. The question is does it even matter? Your union reps are all getting paid and have a pension that is funded with or without your approval. It doesn't matter to them if you get fired or not maybe they do but that would only be because they're not getting your money anymore. Now they have to get it from some other loser.

This post was exactly what I saw and felt in my warehouse. The attitude was what you described perfectly. Then I come on these forums and you got guys who say stewarts are capable people. They can actually do stuff. So many union cheerleaders and I'll never understand why
So you’re saying that unless your name is Stewart you can’t be a capable person?

Grey MIll

The hub I work at is riddled with weiners and they usually come share their complaints I got sick of hearing them so I tell them to grow a spine and file under specific article violation and what to do after if the grievance created a negative effect or I tell them to do nothing and keep complaining. In my experience tough love resonates more with people.

Thebrownblob

Nor do you.....

His description fit my local to a T.

So after four decades of working at this company and with your local, and enjoying the highest wages in the industry and some of the best benefits in the country, as well as having a contract and supplement that is just as much your responsibility to enforce as your Locals, what did you do to try and change it? It would seem as if your local has such poor representation it wouldn’t be too hard to run against them and get them replaced. Or maybe most are satisfied, and you never are. It’s very easy to pick out all the problems from the sideline, it’s quite a different story to get in there and try to make a difference.

Last edited:

quad decade guy

So after four decades of working at this company and with your local, and enjoying the highest wages in the industry and some of the best benefits in the country, as well as having a contract and supplement that is just as much your responsibility to enforce as your Locals, what did you do to try and change it? It would seem as if your local has such poor representation it wouldn’t be too hard to run against them and get them replaced. Or maybe most are satisfied, and you never are. It’s very easy to pick out all the problems from the sideline, it’s quite a different story to get in there and try to make a difference.
Or you don't know me or what I do to make a difference.

Quite different story indeed.

So, tell me what I know.....