Part-timers have all the power. They just don’t know it. Yet.

What'dyabringmetoday???

From what I have seen in my building it is the PT sups who get all of the extra work. Our PT Steward has done a lot to try and make management properly staff the operation by starting the sort earlier but too many PT employees have other commitments like another job or school or day care. Falls on the PT sups to perform hourly work. Grievances are filed and if you are lucky the labor manager might offer you 10 cents on the Dollar to settle.
I doubt you are pushing anything...

Trucker Clock

I've always wondered.....who pays the labor manager, and how can he or she be neutral 🤔

The Labor Manager is a UPS Manager. Just like a Center Manager, Division Manager or District Manager. Most Labor Managers have held other positions before becoming a Labor Manager. Our last Labor Manager was the Division Manager.

They are not neutral. They want to win every grievance. Usually, when they settle a grievance, it is because they know that the grievance was actually a contractual violation and that they would lose it at the State Panel of or JAC.

Sometimes they will deadlock the case anyway, especially a discharge, and send it to the State Panel knowing full well that they will settle the discharge a day before the State Panel hearing. The employee will get his job back, but lose another couple weeks pay waiting for the State Panel to just have it settled the day before the hearing.

Thebrownblob

Good Ol' Boy Network. Lol!
Works different different places. depends on your Locals bylaws, I can’t imagine someone wanting someone is a Business agent that had no experience as a steward.
I suppose you could say good old boys network if you were cynical but I don’t know why anyone would take the job unless they actually want to do it because it’s a headache for sure. You’ll never hear anything but problems. Two of my best friends who were BAs both had marital problems and high blood pressure and had to resign. 🤷‍♂️

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This thread seems to be like the Teamsters thread?

Merge the two?

Its_a_me

The contract should include increases for only existing part-timers. UPS is already paying above Teamster negotiated wages for starting part-time (that's how badly the last contract was negotiated...best contract ever). Let UPS have to pay above starting contract wages or get no one. Why waste the contract leverage. In fact, the Teamsters can say they caved on that point in order to get (insert whatever) benefit. UPS will be forced to pay a higher starting wage regardless.

The real problem with the contract is the lack of enforcement and penalties for violating it (one side violates it their careers are over the other does it and they pay another 20 bucks penalty--big deal). Especially true with buddy-buddy stewards that get in everyday at 4:15pm or in part-time's case sit there and watch the PT Sups work so they can go home earlier.

...and some of you are worried about divide-and-conquer....next time worry about golfing buddy stewards that do their jobs only when forced. Managers should hate stewards--not be asking them to golf on weekends like in my building.

Shorts365

The contract should include increases for only existing part-timers. UPS is already paying above Teamster negotiated wages for starting part-time (that's how badly the last contract was negotiated...best contract ever). Let UPS have to pay above starting contract wages or get no one. Why waste the contract leverage. In fact, the Teamsters can say they caved on that point in order to get (insert whatever) benefit. UPS will be forced to pay a higher starting wage regardless
I agree 100%. Starting wage increases (and probably AC) are going to happen on their own. No need to sacrifice anything to get those.

I agree 100%. Starting wage increases (and probably AC) are going to happen on their own. No need to sacrifice anything to get those.
My building has a bunch of Ram ProVans that come standard with AC. UPS paid extra and ordered them with out AC. The same with our Ford straight trucks. Power windows but no AC.