How do you feel about your mechanics?

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
I'm a mechanic for UPS, I've been turning wrenches professionally for 5 years but only about 6 months here at UPS. So far it's a pretty thankless job just like anywhere else except for the guys in the bay next to you. So basically in my short time here I've noticed that there are a lot of driver's that are just down right arrogant and annoying while others seem to be good people and understanding. I do my best to handle my deadline's, dvir's, scheduled repairs, unscheduled repairs, and breakdowns and at the moment I have a fleet of 47 package cars I am responsible for. At times I wonder a bit about how the driver's perceive us because of the many demands/requests that we receive. I can tell you how most the mechanics view the majority of driver's and that would be not too sharp/entitled even. Though keep in mind that doesn't apply to all driver's just a large portion of them lol so what do you guy's think about us?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Some drivers don't care about their UPS vehicle because they don't take ownership of it. Full trashcan that blows out cans down the highway, cargo area looks like a dump, dash looks like a 2 year old are charcoal and barfed it up.

On the other side of the equation, you have drivers who write up a vehicle because of legitimate problem and mechanics send back "parts on order" or "can't replicate problem". We drive these tanks all day and yet you take it for a spin and can't make that "noise" happen. Two days later the oil pan blows, the truck is laying on the side of the road, and the driver has to drive a spare older than him for the next month.

UPS automotive dept has to do more with less, just like every aspect of UPS, the pressure to "keep them in the road yet don't have road calls" starts to set in. No mechanics allowed to have overtime is a popular one.

Just a quick post of a few things that come to mind.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I'm a mechanic for UPS, I've been turning wrenches professionally for 5 years but only about 6 months here at UPS. So far it's a pretty thankless job just like anywhere else except for the guys in the bay next to you. So basically in my short time here I've noticed that there are a lot of driver's that are just down right arrogant and annoying while others seem to be good people and understanding. I do my best to handle my deadline's, dvir's, scheduled repairs, unscheduled repairs, and breakdowns and at the moment I have a fleet of 47 package cars I am responsible for. At times I wonder a bit about how the driver's perceive us because of the many demands/requests that we receive. I can tell you how most the mechanics view the majority of driver's and that would be not too sharp/entitled even. Though keep in mind that doesn't apply to all driver's just a large portion of them lol so what do you guy's think about us?
I like the mechanics but I was a shifter before I was in feeders so I got to know them since I was always around them. So I've never had a problem with any of them. If I bring a tractor to the shop and they tell me I shouldn't drive it, I honestly don't care I'll just find something else. I think the problem between drivers and mechanics is drivers don't ask, they tell. That usually is what causes the problems.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Write up bulk head door for being tight or not opening. Mechanics reply use some elbow grease. Write up key fob for not working after a day in the pouring rain. Mechanics reply, it's not meant to be submerged under water. Write up nail in tire. Mechanics reply, repaired accident damage. My opinion would be we view you the same as you view us, a bunch of dumbasses who think they work harder than me. Reality is it's a cultural thing that shouldn't exist but since we never see each other it doesn't go away.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Biggest problem is the shop pulling trucks without any warning. They know full well when it is going to happen. Can't they give a heads up so I can pull my stuff out of there?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Biggest problem is the shop pulling trucks without any warning. They know full well when it is going to happen. Can't they give a heads up so I can pull my stuff out of there?

That is our biggest gripe. Get with the OMS who will send us a message so that we can gather our personal stuff when we get back to the building that night.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I got along very well with my mechanic. He would leave me a note in the DVIR to bring the tractor and drop it by the shop so he could do a PMI that morning. I'd then put the keys in his cubbyhole so people couldn't come by desperate for tractors and take it in a bind. He could take care of it that day, and I'd get it back that night. I didn't write up stuff that I could take care of during my shift, and put it off on the guy I shared with. He knew if I wrote it up, it needed to be fixed. If I needed a part to be replaced (tail light, marker light, etc, I'd go to the parts room and pull it myself to cut down the time I'd tie the MOD (mechanic on duty) up. I got along with mechanics in all the buildings I went to. They knew they could count on me to do parts swaps whenever needed, in return they would jump on any problem I had right away.

9.5er

I get along well with my mechanics. They have their job and I have mine. No need to make theirs any worse than needed.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I get along well with my mechanic he's a good guy. We get along so well, that I let him use my tools whenever he has a major repair to do.

He always says, "Scoob, you're such a great guy letting me use your tools"
Me: "I'm not that great, it just appears your tools don't work since nothing ever gets fixed!"

UPSmechanicinblue

seems it would be hard to keep any of them happy when you have a fleet of 47 cars, I'm at 30 and cant keep up with all the repairs.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
seems it would be hard to keep any of them happy when you have a fleet of 47 cars, I'm at 30 and cant keep up with all the repairs.
I couldn't imagine almost 50 cars for 1 guy.

My mechanic is too good. We have the biggest piece of :censored2: fleet in the state they say but he keeps them running.

I don't really blame you guys I know it comes from above and there's only so much you can do. Only thing is is I wish you would redtag more stuff. We live in these trucks and I want it as safe as can possibly be.

I liken a mechanic telling his boss tough to a driver with too many business stops. The driver should take all of their break then inform management of the problem. It's now their problem not yours.