How do you feel about your mechanics?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I love my mechanics. the way I look at it is that you guys keep us alive. I have very little mechanical knowledge and work feeder so having a good relationship with you guys could be a matter of life and death.

from time to time I bring pizza or other goodies over from the Costco to show appreciation. usually our mechanics will drop whatever they are doing to help me out.

not sure if its out of respect or my big bodacious ta tas.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
Write up bulk head door for being tight or not opening. Mechanics reply use some elbow grease. Write up key fob for not working after a day in the pouring rain. Mechanics reply, it's not meant to be submerged under water. Write up nail in tire. Mechanics reply, repaired accident damage. My opinion would be we view you the same as you view us, a bunch of dumbasses who think they work harder than me. Reality is it's a cultural thing that shouldn't exist but since we never see each other it doesn't go away.

I agree with your last statement but I wonder what kind of mechanic is writing stuff up like that lol, maybe he just stopped caring long ago.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
Biggest problem is the shop pulling trucks without any warning. They know full well when it is going to happen. Can't they give a heads up so I can pull my stuff out of there?

Sometimes we're told to pull trucks from higher ups even if they weren't scheduled to be pulled yet.

wayfair

swollen member
Water pump blew on route, shut down computer. One of the day mechanics replaced it on the spot. It was 10 AM and told him that we really didn't want to off load onto an empty. I was down 15 minutes once he showed up. A+

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Are you male or female? With the body types of the feeder drivers in my center that statement could be true for both sexes.

With all due respect, I agree with your point that numerous male feeder drivers have "ta ta's", however there is zero chance of any said ta ta's being "bodacious".

OPTION3

I love my mechanics. the way I look at it is that you guys keep us alive. I have very little mechanical knowledge and work feeder so having a good relationship with you guys could be a matter of life and death.

from time to time I bring pizza or other goodies over from the Costco to show appreciation. usually our mechanics will drop whatever they are doing to help me out.

not sure if its out of respect or my big bodacious ta tas.
Don't bring the pizza.....set the puppies free.....you will find out REAL quick

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Sometimes we're told to pull trucks from higher ups even if they weren't scheduled to be pulled yet.
Often things are found that require vehicles to be pulled from service immediately. No parts on hand to repair, not enough time, unreported issues, etc. On flip side of the coin, the center frequently fails to report when there are breakdowns. Many drivers can't be bothered to see me in person to give detailed information even when I specifically request it. If I can't get the information to make a good educated guess on something I can't see, there's not much I can do.
You have to remember, we don't have all day to make a problem present itself. You do, so any detailed descriptive information you can give is very helpful in resolving the problem. Not asking you to diagnose it, just a clear description of what you are experiencing.

SCV good to go sir.

I've had nothing but good experiences with the mechanics I've interacted with. I don't know what you guys do to the company vans but those :censored2:ers are really fun to drive. It's a shame that humans can do relatively so little in life, I've always been interested in being a mechanic. At any rate, thanks for keeping the trucks running.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Often things are found that require vehicles to be pulled from service immediately. No parts on hand to repair, not enough time, unreported issues, etc. On flip side of the coin, the center frequently fails to report when there are breakdowns. Many drivers can't be bothered to see me in person to give detailed information even when I specifically request it. If I can't get the information to make a good educated guess on something I can't see, there's not much I can do.
You have to remember, we don't have all day to make a problem present itself. You do, so any detailed descriptive information you can give is very helpful in resolving the problem. Not asking you to diagnose it, just a clear description of what you are experiencing.

I was lucky, because for most of my time driving I had the same mechanic.

Back before every function on a car was computerized, I did a lot of simple stuff myself. Plug, points, timing, no problem. Disc brakes, piece of cake. Shoot, I could even synchronize a pair of SU carbs using a short chunk of garden hose.

Our mechanic trusted me. I didn't write up little stuff, I'd just tell him. If I wrote something up, it got fixed.

rod

Retired 22 years
Our mechanic that we had for years was the biggest grouch known to man. He hated everybody and everything but we all liked him because he always had a can of UPS brown paint and a supply of replacement mirrors.