How do you feel about your mechanics?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Things would be massively easier if we didn't have about a dozen completely different drivetrains in use all at the same time. With just 1 or 2, we could have just about everything.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've see. Centers with 65 trucks have 3 mechanics. I can't believe what they ask some of you to do on your own.
We use to allocate older cars to the hub buildings and newer cars to the extended centers.
Also an older car with a good maintenance record might be assigned to an extended center, especially if is a smaller cube.

upssouth

I got along very well with my mechanic. He would leave me a note in the DVIR to bring the tractor and drop it by the shop so he could do a PMI that morning. I'd then put the keys in his cubbyhole so people couldn't come by desperate for tractors and take it in a bind. He could take care of it that day, and I'd get it back that night. I didn't write up stuff that I could take care of during my shift, and put it off on the guy I shared with. He knew if I wrote it up, it needed to be fixed. If I needed a part to be replaced (tail light, marker light, etc, I'd go to the parts room and pull it myself to cut down the time I'd tie the MOD (mechanic on duty) up. I got along with mechanics in all the buildings I went to. They knew they could count on me to do parts swaps whenever needed, in return they would jump on any problem I had right away.

We have mechanics get pissed off for that. They don't like us stealing their work.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We use to allocate older cars to the hub buildings and newer cars to the extended centers.
Also an older car with a good maintenance record might be assigned to an extended center, especially if is a smaller cube.
Lol use to. I'd be considered an extended center likely and we have 2 trucks under 300k

rod

Retired 22 years
Browncafe wants Your 9 year old daughter looking over your shoulder, to be able to read the posts. We try to keep it clean. It is in the Terms of Service.

Tell them 9 year old daughters to go sell some cookies--Daddy need his play time too.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Tell them 9 year old daughters to go sell some cookies--Daddy need his play time too.
I agree, I think adults deserve their privacy too. But I don't make the rules, Just help enforce the ones that are there.

Last edited:

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Years ago, our manager tried to get it where mechanics would ride with the drivers and drivers would come to the shop to work with us. We mechanics rode with several drivers and acted as helpers, but on the flip side not a single driver opted to come to the shop and see what we have to deal with. All we ask is don't tell us what to fix, tell us what the car is doing. perfect example from last week. e brake was all that was written on dvir. How about a little more information, treat a dvir as if you are dropping off your personal car at shop. information is your friend in this case. The more we have the better we can address the issue. Also some of the concerns you have we can't duplicate. You are complaining about low power in a fully loaded pkg car, but when we get it to the shop it unloaded and drivers normal. You are complaining about road walking, but you are driving an billboard in a 15 mph cross wind, it's going to road walk.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Exactly. You don't expect to get well by just sitting on the exam table and saying "I don't feel well". Nor do you demand brain surgery when you have a headache because you might have a tumor.:biggrin:

Indecisi0n

Years ago, our manager tried to get it where mechanics would ride with the drivers and drivers would come to the shop to work with us. We mechanics rode with several drivers and acted as helpers, but on the flip side not a single driver opted to come to the shop and see what we have to deal with. All we ask is don't tell us what to fix, tell us what the car is doing. perfect example from last week. e brake was all that was written on dvir. How about a little more information, treat a dvir as if you are dropping off your personal car at shop. information is your friend in this case. The more we have the better we can address the issue. Also some of the concerns you have we can't duplicate. You are complaining about low power in a fully loaded pkg car, but when we get it to the shop it unloaded and drivers normal. You are complaining about road walking, but you are driving an billboard in a 15 mph cross wind, it's going to road walk.
That means the e brake is broken.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
So far it's a pretty thankless job just like anywhere else except for the guys in the bay next to you. So basically in my short time here I've noticed that there are a lot of driver's that are just down right arrogant and annoying while others seem to be good people and understanding.

seems it would be hard to keep any of them happy when you have a fleet of 47 cars, I'm at 30 and cant keep up with all the repairs.

Often things are found that require vehicles to be pulled from service immediately. No parts on hand to repair, not enough time, unreported issues, etc. On flip side of the coin, the center frequently fails to report when there are breakdowns. Many drivers can't be bothered to see me in person to give detailed information even when I specifically request it. If I can't get the information to make a good educated guess on something I can't see, there's not much I can do.
You have to remember, we don't have all day to make a problem present itself. You do, so any detailed descriptive information you can give is very helpful in resolving the problem. Not asking you to diagnose it, just a clear description of what you are experiencing.

I'm sure you guys don't hear it enough but most of us appreciate you guys. It is a very thankless job and for what you guys have to deal with and have to work with, you really do do an awesome job keeping trucks running that have 400k miles.

Alot of folks don't know that you have to provide your own tools, can never get parts because of all the different types of vehicles in service out there and lack of support from your supervisors.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
why do the mechanics tell me on the book to please stop by shop? I think they want to flirt. anyways I like going on breakdown to stop by. it pays for lunch. and every once in awhile I bring the guys pizza.