How does one become a 'pick-off person(?)' on a belt

700 PPH

first off....if your a loader...on ur belt...stay there....dont change to unload or small sort...just load...bite the bullet...and just....load....hey 700 PHH..we need you to do these eregs.....DO IT....just bite the bullet and do w/e they want....stay on ur belt...eventually...u will be the person loading who has been loading in ur area for the longest which gives you seniority...find out who is back up pick off on ur belt....how many pick off do you have on ur belt? My belt has 2...me and another guy...some only require one...depending on the volume....find out who is back up....if no one requested back up...ask for it...take the sort test..pass it...you will get the dollar raise even for just being a back up...then ur garenteed to go up everytime if one of them or the person takes off....it always garentees you the position if for any reason the person quits..gets fired, or xfers...ur already back up so your automatically the next person to go up....

I have come to the conclusion that the most picking off I will get to do is a small amount of weakside, 3-4 times a week.

I have been working here for about 6 months and I passed the pick off test for my belt a long time ago, I am consistantly one of if not the best reader on my belt(as far as loaders are concerned, obviously). The problem is that the high pick guy on my belt has been at UPS for about 15+ years, and the low pick guy has been there for about 15+ as well. Neither of them are leaving anytime soon. So the only picking off I will be seeing on this belt is probably during the summer when they swap back and forth with week long vacations.

I talked to my full time sup about being a pick off somewhere else in the building and he said he could only use a pick off on one other belt. Then he said he wouldn't mind me picking off but he can't afford to lose me as a loader(bull**** imo..that's what I get for busting my ass for the first 6 months on the job, as I see other people who do absolute **** there and get away with it..just because they can). Basically I know that even though they are looking for a pick off on another belt, there is no way I will get the chance at it. I have basically decided that it isn't worth busting my ass for this company at the time being, sure I can hold down my loads and help the slower loaders out but really, what is the point? Why should I do 700 PPH if the guy in the trailer next to me is only doing 250-300(and not trying hard at all)..and getting paid more than me in the process. Basically I feel that the type of job that you have as a loader at UPS is, the harder you try..the more you get taken advantage of. Sure I have no problem helping people out, because I am a team player. However I am just sick of being used by supervisors who only care about getting the job done, while they do the least amount of work possible. The high pick guy on my belt is a perfect example of someone being used. He is unreal at pick off(I mean he has been doing it like 12 years or something...probably the best in my HUB) and because he is so good, he never gets help. 3-4 Days a week I will do my load and help with weakside..however most of the time I go up there and I get pulled down(even though with that load your job is suppose to be to load, and help weakside) by my supervisor asking me to go bulk or internals..or help out some ******* who decided to come to work and not give a ****. Now even though my high pick is great and doesn't need me up there most of the time. He has admitted that having me up there whenever possible is a huge help for him. I guess anyone who does strong side pick off can tell you how much of a difference it is when you have someone there to help. And the main reason I bust my ass in my load to get clear so I can go up and help him is because that is the only way I will get any experience picking off.(I mean neither of these guys ever call out, and if they did there is one person who has seniority over me who gets to fill in, even though he is consistantly at the bottom on the misload frequency chart..because he doesn't like to read). So basically, I just decided to not give a **** anymore. I mean why should I, right?

NY11725

I have come to the conclusion that the most picking off I will get to do is a small amount of weakside, 3-4 times a week.

I have been working here for about 6 months and I passed the pick off test for my belt a long time ago, I am consistantly one of if not the best reader on my belt(as far as loaders are concerned, obviously). The problem is that the high pick guy on my belt has been at UPS for about 15+ years, and the low pick guy has been there for about 15+ as well. Neither of them are leaving anytime soon. So the only picking off I will be seeing on this belt is probably during the summer when they swap back and forth with week long vacations.

I talked to my full time sup about being a pick off somewhere else in the building and he said he could only use a pick off on one other belt. Then he said he wouldn't mind me picking off but he can't afford to lose me as a loader(bull**** imo..that's what I get for busting my ass for the first 6 months on the job, as I see other people who do absolute **** there and get away with it..just because they can). Basically I know that even though they are looking for a pick off on another belt, there is no way I will get the chance at it. I have basically decided that it isn't worth busting my ass for this company at the time being, sure I can hold down my loads and help the slower loaders out but really, what is the point? Why should I do 700 PPH if the guy in the trailer next to me is only doing 250-300(and not trying hard at all)..and getting paid more than me in the process. Basically I feel that the type of job that you have as a loader at UPS is, the harder you try..the more you get taken advantage of. Sure I have no problem helping people out, because I am a team player. However I am just sick of being used by supervisors who only care about getting the job done, while they do the least amount of work possible. The high pick guy on my belt is a perfect example of someone being used. He is unreal at pick off(I mean he has been doing it like 12 years or something...probably the best in my HUB) and because he is so good, he never gets help. 3-4 Days a week I will do my load and help with weakside..however most of the time I go up there and I get pulled down(even though with that load your job is suppose to be to load, and help weakside) by my supervisor asking me to go bulk or internals..or help out some ******* who decided to come to work and not give a ****. Now even though my high pick is great and doesn't need me up there most of the time. He has admitted that having me up there whenever possible is a huge help for him. I guess anyone who does strong side pick off can tell you how much of a difference it is when you have someone there to help. And the main reason I bust my ass in my load to get clear so I can go up and help him is because that is the only way I will get any experience picking off.(I mean neither of these guys ever call out, and if they did there is one person who has seniority over me who gets to fill in, even though he is consistantly at the bottom on the misload frequency chart..because he doesn't like to read). So basically, I just decided to not give a **** anymore. I mean why should I, right?

I totally understand what you mean...before I got pick off...I was loading the slowest trailer on my belt...just because of the fact they knew I could keep it clean and be the one to help everyone else...so i would rush and bang out my trailer, then be the one helping everyone else until my trailer got backed up again, then when i went back, I got no help what so ever...no one even came to break my jams...which is BS...then as soon as i cleaned it out again I was pulled out to help once again...your own best loader blah blah blah...It was a pain in the butt...then our retain guy..not sure if any other buildings work the same but we have a retain trailer...everything that goes out to be delivered and no one is home, those boxes come back to the retain trailer...now the guy in retain only loads 1/4 of his trailer a night but I was the one doing eregs and helping out the other trailers..was BS....

Now back to you.. :)....that sucks those guys been up there 15+ years...the main pick off where I pick off has been up there for like 5 but been working at UPS for 8 years...the other guy was up there for like 3 years or something but he xfered to maine so I got the position...now the summer isnt the only time you will get to pick off...If you already passed the rest..I really do no see why you cant be atleast back up for them right now...meaning..if one is absent one day...you get to go up..thats how it works at my building..we have a backup for every pickoff incase one doesnt show..700 PPH is a great scanning...keep it up..you will get your moment to shine :)

LtSmokes1

I guess I am the only one who drooled over the postion then :)

thats how it was with me...I knew the sort way before I even wanted to pick off...but when I found out about one of the main pick offs leaving...I JUMPED...noooo..I SPRINTED on it...went right to my manager he had me write a short letter why I wanted it and why I feel i would be good...turned it in...1 week later..the main backup became supervisor...so I got lucky I guess...now im up top and loving it..no more eregs...misloads..type ins... weeeee

Our pick-off does around 1000 adhawk scans...so still have to scan a bit, but ya no missorts.

NY11725

Our pick-off does around 1000 adhawk scans...so still have to scan a bit, but ya no missorts.

Yea auditing isnt hard though..I scan around 1100-1250 audits scans every night however tonight I only did 950 because it was really heavy so I wasnt scanning every single package.. :) which is ok of course they say you dont have to scan every single one as a pick off :), but as long as the loaders scan it..its cool :)

LtSmokes1

Yea auditing isnt hard though..I scan around 1100-1250 audits scans every night however tonight I only did 950 because it was really heavy so I wasnt scanning every single package.. :) which is ok of course they say you dont have to scan every single one as a pick off :), but as long as the loaders scan it..its cool :)

Ya, you work midnight I'm guessing?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
pick off doesnt suck at all..dont know what planet your on..i happen to love the position...beats loading, unloading..being on the sort isle..anyday...no more eregs..no more misloads..no more type ins every night....
I live on the planet of picking off sucks. Over here, the belts shut off at least 25 times a night because the building is so old it can't handle the volume. Then you have your supervisors up your arse all shift for the belt shutting off when you and he both know that it's impossible to keep it running. Your shoulders take a beating after the years go by. You get pissed off at slow loaders, dumb supervisors, and you get looked at sideways when you want a day off. And don't think for half a second that misloads won't came back on the pickoff. It's the pickoffs fault 9 times out of 10 that the misload got dropped in the trailer in the first place. Trust me...13 years at UPS 4 of them as a pickoff...it sucks after a while. But if your the type of person who loves it, then more power to you. :happy2:

NY11725

I live on the planet of picking off sucks. Over here, the belts shut off at least 25 times a night because the building is so old it can't handle the volume. Then you have your supervisors up your arse all shift for the belt shutting off when you and he both know that it's impossible to keep it running. Your shoulders take a beating after the years go by. You get pissed off at slow loaders, dumb supervisors, and you get looked at sideways when you want a day off. And don't think for half a second that misloads won't came back on the pickoff. It's the pickoffs fault 9 times out of 10 that the misload got dropped in the trailer in the first place. Trust me...13 years at UPS 4 of them as a pickoff...it sucks after a while. But if your the type of person who loves it, then more power to you. :happy2:

welll...on my belt...its the loaders that cause other trailers to get mis-sorts....like 2nite....one destination was soo backed up, the chutes were constantly to the top...they were taking their merry time causing us to start dead chuting alot of stuff...then at one point the dead chute was full and they were still backed up so we no choice but to let it ride the belt giving another trailer a bunch of mis-sorts....the pick off isnt really at fault when the loaders are making the pick offs job harder

whiskey

pickoff is not as easy as it is being painted.

I picked off in 2 buildings, once when i was part-time once full-time. Part-time I picked off for over a year almost 1.5 years. You can get some serious repetitive stress injuries in your arms from pulling and moving packages leaning over the belt. (end-range motions). I had to be moved off the pickoff because my arms were aching so badly I could not sleep at night.
I personally would stay in the load rather than pick-off
The grass is always greener on the other side at UPS. remember that.
The unload is the best position to hold inside. Give me the dustiest H frame that arrived via rail, a dust mask, and I'm in heaven.

NY11725

The unload is the best position to hold inside. Give me the dustiest H frame that arrived via rail, a dust mask, and I'm in heaven.

Odd, I have to disagree..I have been on unload a few times...its not really fun...you have to lift all those boca system boxes...and flyers...and bend lower down than you would if you were loading...well with me, i have a neck problem..where the spine connects with my neck..that bone is like all ****ed up from sitting at the computer hunched over for so long in the past...so when i am constantly bending over and lifting heavy things..that area starts to bother me..so unloading wasnt for me...I only was over there to help out, but your constantly unloading non stop, and they get done wayy to early...your check suffers from it...I like my new position as a pick off :)

Vain

Dude Pick-Off sucks.

After a while they make our third Picks scan and load and pick off, so you never really get to take that breather. Maybe not now but eventually it gets to that point depending on the sup.

I do strong side Pick-Off and after a few years it's left me kind of bitter. The fact that I'm like a Mini Sup telling people to break their jams and such has gotten me somewhat tired plus some people take it the wrong way and it's just an agitating issue. They're always taking away my second pick because we just don't have good loaders so he has to be pushing bulk or he gets sent home because they want their numbers to look better. Plus he hates it and a lot of people just dread the thought of being on top. Then people just are horribly slow down there.. and ten destinations doesn't help either. Anyways to make this short it's Total BS.

NY11725

Dude Pick-Off sucks.

After a while they make our third Picks scan and load and pick off, so you never really get to take that breather. Maybe not now but eventually it gets to that point depending on the sup.

I do strong side Pick-Off and after a few years it's left me kind of bitter. The fact that I'm like a Mini Sup telling people to break their jams and such has gotten me somewhat tired plus some people take it the wrong way and it's just an agitating issue. They're always taking away my second pick because we just don't have good loaders so he has to be pushing bulk or he gets sent home because they want their numbers to look better. Plus he hates it and a lot of people just dread the thought of being on top. Then people just are horribly slow down there.. and ten destinations doesn't help either. Anyways to make this short it's Total BS.

Pick off is very easy, even if you have heavy ass volume...its the loaders that screw up the pickoff....if the loaders are slow..the chutes get backed up and we have no where to put boxes....its a pain in the butt yes...but its still better than loading anyday....they shouldnt have slow loaders loading on heavy belts period the end....like 2nite at work...we had ppl taking their merry time, and we were getting owned up top..it was fustrating...but the extra dollar is nice, and its just better than loading..Monday thru Thursday is a breeze up top..but friday, we get flow from another belt that we let ride to the trailer where the belt ends...but it gives us tons of more boxes, and just makes it harder to pick off, and then when the loaders get slow and the chutes fill up...and we are getting slammed...we have to cut the belt...and by the time the chutes finally clear...that wholeeee time..unload is still going and sort isle is still throwing stuff on the belt...so once we start the belt finally...everything comes clumped up, and its living hell...but its the loaders fault..not pick off...if they see a loader is too slow and causing problems for everyone else and pick off..they need to be replaced by someone faster and that person needs to move to a slower trailer or somehting :(

NY11725

After last friday..I totally understand how heavy pick off can get at times....I am getting scared for when peak season comes...and our flow picks up even more.. :(

proudupstexan

Brian Borrego
If your sup likes the way you pick off then ask him if you can pick off or just ask one of the picks if they feel like loading today they should say yes I'm a good pick and when they don't feel like doing so we swap