How does one become an auto mechanic?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I wonder if UPS would allow a mechanic to work on his own vehicles in ups's shop. Wait, I forgot for a moment who we work for.....

At my Dads work, their mechanic fixes whomevers vehicle need it when slow, at mechanics discretion.
I'm sure you already know the answer to that. Grounds for termination. On the clock or not.

How does UPS hire them, is it the same 6:1 ratio. I'm planning to go to a trade school right after I get my associate next yr. What's the hours, I know that they make more than drivers, and you don't end up looking like Herbert on the family guy when you retire. Are they in our union?
All you need is duct tape, lots and lots of duct tape.

rod

Retired 22 years
At my center being the mechanic was the worst full time job. Terrible hours (started work about 4:30 p.m.)and terrible working conditions. Nothing like laying on your back on a freezing floor with slush dripping on you half the night. Our mechanic didn't have his own enclosed work bay so if the overhead doors were open he got the full blast of winter. In the summer he got to live with the mosquitos. All that and he got to work on junk with a million miles on it. No wonder he was the meanest person there.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
At my center being the mechanic was the worst full time job. Terrible hours (started work about 4:30 p.m.)and terrible working conditions. Nothing like laying on your back on a freezing floor with slush dripping on you half the night. Our mechanic didn't have his own enclosed work bay so if the overhead doors were open he got the full blast of winter. In the summer he got to live with the mosquitos. All that and he got to work on junk with a million miles on it. No wonder he was the meanest person there.
Sounds familiar....

JL 0513

So true. I wouldn't wish that job on anyone. If you want to be a mechanic, a UPS mechanic has to be one of the worse. Way better to work in a heated shop that's 8am-5pm and working on nicer vehicles.

upschuck

Do mechanics everywhere not hook up the exhaust tubes? Sometimes you walk through the shop and you can't see the other side of if because of the exhaust. Must have a high tolerance for diesel.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Do mechanics everywhere not hook up the exhaust tubes? Sometimes you walk through the shop and you can't see the other side of if because of the exhaust. Must have a high tolerance for diesel.
Local sort complains even when I do have the hose on. Or when I change a fuel filter. Or use the cutting torch. Or drain hot gear oil. Or weld.........