How does your center operate?

HeyNowBrownCow

Your poor planning is not my issue.
I did... and I also took notes on what BleedBrown58 said as well. She pissed me off for a bit but I did re-read her posts and the whole thread and will use all the suggestions.
Thanks again to everyone (including you BB58) for all the help and guidance!
Good Night and have a safe day tomorrow.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its a game nobodies going to win so why say anything? You and I both know nothings going to change. Been like that forever. They send you out with a super poopy load you kick em in the nuttz deep into the night, its as simple as that. Come on you been doing this long enough you know how the game is played.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Ditto dogg. Theres not hardly any good loaders at all in the centers. Most of the really good loaders are the old school loaders who are JEDI LOADERS sorta speak. Some of the new loaders catch on and load it their style and know what the drivers want and expect, because they actually care, have a good work ethic, and have commonsense.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Have a few female preloders just like BB 58 in my building. I sure wouldn't want to live with any of them, but they know their job.
That's a hell of a statement considering....you know nothing about me. That's kind of like assuming all car washers are extremely lazy like the ones in my building.....lol

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I must be really lucky as my preloader is awesome. He is a FT college student who will be leaving shortly after he graduates in May. While the car is not loaded stop for stop he does load bulk stops together and moves the load around when he has an unexpected bulk stop. My area has a college with multiple addresses and he knows to load them all together. He rarely if ever has any misloads and makes sure all of my NDA, except those for morning delivery bulk stops (Walmart), is in the 1000 section. He does not waste time pulling PAL labels (this makes no sense) or writing the HIN on the pkgs (this makes even less sense). The only gripe I have is that he sometimes has to leave early when he has a morning class and the preload sup will just toss the pkgs from the belt behind our cars. He is well worth the $100 tip that he gets from me at Peak and I will miss him when I bid off the route very soon (major road construction project on my current route).

Anonymous 12

Non active member
I'll preface this by saying bc I'm only in a few months (started during Xmas rush) I don't have a true understanding how things are supposed to operate. I have learned a few things... 1) Daily safety bulletins are a sorry excuse to remove liability..... as they'll ignore safety to keep numbers or the belt moving. 2) If you need help and ask for it..... a super will ignore you or have something more pressing to go do. On and on. BUT, my real question is this:

1) On the preload belts, what is the "proper" or "official" way things are supposed to be done and what's the order? (e.g. I read somewhere on here about a splitter position and not what our center does by having the first 2 loaders split and load and the last 2 loaders off loading missed packages to be recycled or sent elsewhere.) Is there really a splitter job position or is the irreg guy/gal expected to split & do irregs?
2) How many trucks is one (new) person able to load? (about how many packages/bulk stops)
3) Does the new guy always get the crappiest bulk stoppiest & the most irregs trucks without being trained other than watching a video?

I'm asking bc our center seems to wait 30-45 minutes into a shift to find someone to "fill in" on 3 trucks after it's a stacked out, mis-loaded mess... and then the supes stand by telling us we need to move faster, not stack out and write in the numbers on the boxes.

I know that's a long multi-part question but I hope you all see what I'm asking. Thanks
My center runs pretty smooth. Other managers in the past couldn't figure it out but this guy we have now runs it like he's done it before.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I must be really lucky as my preloader is awesome. He is a FT college student who will be leaving shortly after he graduates in May. While the car is not loaded stop for stop he does load bulk stops together and moves the load around when he has an unexpected bulk stop. My area has a college with multiple addresses and he knows to load them all together. He rarely if ever has any misloads and makes sure all of my NDA, except those for morning delivery bulk stops (Walmart), is in the 1000 section. He does not waste time pulling PAL labels (this makes no sense) or writing the HIN on the pkgs (this makes even less sense). The only gripe I have is that he sometimes has to leave early when he has a morning class and the preload sup will just toss the pkgs from the belt behind our cars. He is well worth the $100 tip that he gets from me at Peak and I will miss him when I bid off the route very soon (major road construction project on my current route).
I will agree that writing the HIN or peeling PAL's is relatively pointless...but I work as directed. Does your preloader like going to the movies? Perhaps you should ask him.

wayfair

swollen member
when you're using ORION, it helps to have the sequence number/HIN on the side of the box... it helps to identify that one package you need to pull from sec 6,7,8,4,2,6,8... to deliver.

I had over 60 stops in section 7 one day last week, over 30 in section 3... finding random packages sucks using ORION

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Another system that UPS wasted millions of dollars on imagine that lol. Ive been saying it for years, they should do away with the loaders. Waste of time, money, benefits, and retirement. What they should so is have drivers come in and load their own trucks and just have unloaders work preload and 2 at front of belt to sort. Have 2 shifts. Have drivers come in like 4 or 5 and load their own trucks and have 2nd shift come in at 9 or 10. The 2nd shift would run airs, some bulk, and do all the afternoon pickups based on area obviously. The 1st shift guys would be bid by seniority obviously. That way the 1st shift starts earlier and gets home earlier, isn't that the biggest problem most drivers have is getting home late. The loads would be spot on and wouldn't have all the problems with misloads and so much time wasted reloading loads or searching for packages all stinkin day. Its a win, win I think. Most of us don't mind working hard, cause that's part of the job, but the biggest thing would be drivers could actually have a life and be able to spend time with their families and get things done at home. Don't get it wrong, im not saying all the preloaders suck, but that's because the idiot supes don't train them right. Food for thought and would totally work.

HBGPreloader

Our preload operates on a wing and a prayer. And, since I started more than 6 years ago, I've only seen it go downhill.

When I was trained, I was told we have 2 customers to be concerned with - the internal customer (the driver) and the package recipient.

Our packages had pal labels and we were supposed to compare the label to the package then load them in sequence. If the label was not visible when loaded, we were supposed to write the number on the visible side of the package. Bulk went on the floor.

Now, the labels are printed right on the box in red ink and are barely visible. And, there is no address to compare to :(

I work on a boxline, which I understand is rare, load 3 cars and expect my average volume to be about 1,250 pieces a day. I'm expected to load 225 pieces per hour and, at one time, I was told I'm allowed 1 walked in wrong car for every 2,500 pieces loaded.

After about 8 or 10 managers and countless supervisors, training now consists of new employees watching a video and dumped where ever they're needed. They're generally shown what bins to pull from and told to get to work - a supervisor will (supposedly) be along shortly.

If you follow the training, you're told to put the packages in proper order no matter what. Unfortunately though, that could also mean that air is sometimes pal'd (?) anywhere in the truck. It's easier for me to type that the only shelves I haven't had next day air is the 5000, 8000 and 9000 shelves. So, my drivers request that I put it all in front, on the 1000 shelf.

I could go on. But, I already typed too much. So, I'll close with this...

Since my area is normally screwed up and I start late, I get to speak with my drivers on a regular basis. And, they're always more than happy to give me pointers on improving their loads :)

Unfortunately though, when you're trying to pack 10 lbs of poop in a 5 lb bag, things don't always go as requested or as planned.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
That's what we need more loaders like you that have some commonsense and a conscious about how they do their job. Good for you and respect for your diligence to do the job as well as you can do, not for the company but for your drivers and for yourself. I hope your drivers compensate you for your effort at xmas:happy2:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Our preload operates on a wing and a prayer. And, since I started more than 6 years ago, I've only seen it go downhill.

When I was trained, I was told we have 2 customers to be concerned with - the internal customer (the driver) and the package recipient.

Our packages had pal labels and we were supposed to compare the label to the package then load them in sequence. If the label was not visible when loaded, we were supposed to write the number on the visible side of the package. Bulk went on the floor.

Now, the labels are printed right on the box in red ink and are barely visible. And, there is no address to compare to :(

I work on a boxline, which I understand is rare, load 3 cars and expect my average volume to be about 1,250 pieces a day. I'm expected to load 225 pieces per hour and, at one time, I was told I'm allowed 1 walked in wrong car for every 2,500 pieces loaded.

After about 8 or 10 managers and countless supervisors, training now consists of new employees watching a video and dumped where ever they're needed. They're generally shown what bins to pull from and told to get to work - a supervisor will (supposedly) be along shortly.

If you follow the training, you're told to put the packages in proper order no matter what. Unfortunately though, that could also mean that air is sometimes pal'd (?) anywhere in the truck. It's easier for me to type that the only shelves I haven't had next day air is the 5000, 8000 and 9000 shelves. So, my drivers request that I put it all in front, on the 1000 shelf.

I could go on. But, I already typed too much. So, I'll close with this...

Since my area is normally screwed up and I start late, I get to speak with my drivers on a regular basis. And, they're always more than happy to give me pointers on improving their loads :)

Unfortunately though, when you're trying to pack 10 lbs of poop in a 5 lb bag, things don't always go as requested or as planned.
there's a 9000 shelf?