How easy is it to get fired?

There is a certain level of physical flexibility that is required for doing full squats. I'm not talking about bending over. I was told that bending over is NOT allowed. I'm talking about doing a full squat where your rear end just barely hovers over the ground. I cannot get down into that position and up again without losing my balance. In order to compensate, I have to bend forward. It's not like I hunch over while standing upright to lift things. I still squat down- I just can't keep my back straight/upright and get back up.

km3

I was sent home early today, and I'm pretty sure I no longer have a job which means I'm really screwed because I NEED to be working.

Did they tell you that, or are you jumping to conclusions? If they didn't take your badge away, you should show up at your designated start time tomorrow. You're very likely not fired now, but if you stop showing up you will be.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
ReturntoSender: Thanks to ObamaCare, I'm still ok on the medical benefits front. I'm 25, so I'm still on my parents' insurance. Of course, assuming I'm not fired, I still have an issue. I turn 26 almost exactly 3 months before I hit my 1 year anniversary with UPS.
Why do you keep babbling about being fired? Did they tell you when they sent you home not to come in tomorrow?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I'm talking about doing a full squat where your rear end just barely hovers over the ground. I cannot get down into that position and up again without losing my balance.
I can understand your concern. It would be horrible if you fell over, someone you could be seriously injured.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I was trying to illustrate that my reason for potentially losing my job had nothing to do with will or knowledge. Speed will come in time as I adjust to the job. My issue is a physical limitation that I was unaware I had.

My title was a bit "clickbait." I certainly don't WANT to get fired. If I did, I would just shut off my 3:00 AM alarm and go back to sleep. I was asking more to find out if UPS is the kind of company that fires for minor things, or if they are generally patient while employees are learning/adjusting to the position. I've worked at jobs where you can get written up/fired within the first few days for not following company policies that you were never taught. I've also worked at jobs where you pretty much have to come to work completely high or intoxicated and steal from the company to get fired. (Of course, a simple no-call, no-show.. or two or three...also works). I don't know where UPS is on that scale. Is it the kind of company that focuses more on the effort and improvement of new hires during training, or do they expect their employees to be up to the same level as veteran employees?

If it's more of the former, then I'm ok because I KNOW that the speed comes in time. Even at another job that required physical activity and speed, I was a bit slower to start. I was able to work on my own without a trainer after a day because I understood the job well enough. However, navigating the place, remembering aisles and product locations, and speed with bagging (I was a personal shopper at a grocery store) took a bit more time/adjustment. It wasn't long before I was one of the fastest shoppers in my department- self-trained in most administrative duties.

But if I was judged on speed during my first few days, I would have been fired for sure.
You are overthinking .
Just do the best you can.

Indecisi0n

There is a certain level of physical flexibility that is required for doing full squats. I'm not talking about bending over. I was told that bending over is NOT allowed. I'm talking about doing a full squat where your rear end just barely hovers over the ground. I cannot get down into that position and up again without losing my balance. In order to compensate, I have to bend forward. It's not like I hunch over while standing upright to lift things. I still squat down- I just can't keep my back straight/upright and get back up.
I can go all the way down.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Patience and UPS never used in the same sentence ,,,, the most important thing you can learn here ,,, is ..... Are you ready for it ???
Your best us never good enough !
Know it , live it

John Ericson

I am a new hire, and unfortunately, because of when I started, I hit the freeze on getting my 30 days. This means, I have a few months without any kind of security during peak season.

I've only been at UPS for about a week, and today was my first day fully on the floor. (Last week was mostly safety training). I'm still learning to navigate the hub without getting lost. I spent last week loading up the package cars. Today, I did sorting in two different areas (loading the boxline and working as a flipper on the sort line). I was sent home early (but I was told Monday is the slowest day, and I'm sure I'll make up for it in several weeks when things pick up for the holidays.

Needless to say, I'm not the fastest worker. I am trying to cut myself slack because I AM new, and even though the concepts are easy enough, it might take me a little time to get up to speed with everyone else.

I'm just a little worried that they'll decide that I'm not cut out for the position and decide to let me go. I do enjoy my job- especially after my previous position was such a disaster- and I don't want to screw anything up. Is there anything I can to to improve so I can make sure I keep my job?
This is my 3rd week and I feel the same way, so far the guys told me that if your really a problem all the time they will let you go (I mean you gotta mess up really bad all the time) but if everyday you show up and do your work they shouldn't fire you, just show up 15 minutes early everyday till you get Union then you should be fine

jeepupser

For someone that doesn't have seniority it is easy to get fired. If you have seniority it is really hard unless you do something really stupid like stealing.