how hard is it to learn to drive a package car if you don't know how to drive a manua

Re: how hard is it to learn to drive a package car if you don't know how to drive a m

It's not hard, once you get the car moving out of first. Like others have said, head to a large parking lot ( I taught three kids to drive on the hub lot before I started working for UPS), and do dead stops over and over in first gear. When you no longer stall, move to second and then stop, starting out all over again. Again, you'll need to practice on a hill somewhere to get used to rollback. When you get the hang of that, head for country roads and drive. Soon you won't even realize you're shifting.
Used cars with stick are cheaper that their auto versions, It's easier to drive on snow with a stick, and repair bills are cheaper. Didn't even consider the anti-theft thingie.

L

Loufan

Re: how hard is it to learn to drive a package car if you don't know how to drive a m

If i ever drive, I hope i get a manual truck. Whenever I drive an automatic I get bored.

UPSBluRdg03

You might get bored driving a auto in your personal vehicle but when your in that PC and your thinking about your next stop and 100 other things you wont miss jammin those gears at all.

UPSGUY72

If i ever drive, I hope i get a manual truck. Whenever I drive an automatic I get bored.

If you ever drive for UPS you are not going to have enough time to be bored. You will be wishing you have a automatic when you start driving a stick with 600,000 miles on it and have to skift gears over 1000 times a day.

iowa boy

The real reason UPS went to the automatic? Time. Automatics are faster in stop and go driving, saving those seconds off of every shift. Plus, with an automatic, you have a clean floor in front of the bulkhead door, for easier package handling. How many time as a driver have you um "rearranged the family jewels" while trying to get a package out of the cargo area?

Another reason too is an automatic is a lot harder to knock out of gear than a stick is. I say this because there is one, now ex driver, in our district that tried to bring out an over 70 thru the bulkhead instead of out the back. He knocked the truck into neutral, (don't know if parking brake was set or not, we weren't told), and truck rolled into the garage causing over 4 grand in damage to garage.

L

Loufan

If you ever drive for UPS you are not going to have enough time to be bored. You will be wishing you have a automatic when you start driving a stick with 600,000 miles on it and have to skift gears over 1000 times a day.

Well It'll keep me focused I guess, and I doubt it. I've been driving a manual since I started driving 5 years, I think I'd be fine.

UPSGUY72

Well It'll keep me focused I guess, and I doubt it. I've been driving a manual since I started driving 5 years, I think I'd be fine.

I'm glad you think you'll be fine. Let me know after your driving for a year or two by then you'll will have a different perspective on it. Right know you don't even know what your talking about.

L

Loufan

I'm glad you think you'll be fine. Let me know after your driving for a year or two by then you'll will have a different perspective on it. Right know you don't even know what your talking about.
Still don't care.

Dustyroads

A few years ago, a handful of drivers, including myself, were required to sign a statement that we understood that we might be required to drive a manual transmission vehicle at any time and that we understood that it was part of the job. Those of us who signed were never required to drive one.

rossco

i work out of the downtown Boston Ma building (South Boston) and there is not one automatic in our building except for the p300's for air drivers. My package car is a 1986 gas GM P1000. Our building gets all the old package cars in the area cause of the harsh city driving. Every day i try to think of what i would like to have first, power steering or an automatic transmission. Only been driving for 3 years and my left knee isnt happy.

bumped

My best advice is to rent a U-Haul or Ryder on a Sunday and practice with that. You can go in a business park area and practice backing into docks.

RoyalFlush

One of Them

Another reason too is an automatic is a lot harder to knock out of gear than a stick is. I say this because there is one, now ex driver, in our district that tried to bring out an over 70 thru the bulkhead instead of out the back. He knocked the truck into neutral, (don't know if parking brake was set or not, we weren't told), and truck rolled into the garage causing over 4 grand in damage to garage.

Fuel mileage is the primary reason for the automatics. Shift points are electronically controlled for optimum fuel mileage.

Re-Raise

A few years ago, a handful of drivers, including myself, were required to sign a statement that we understood that we might be required to drive a manual transmission vehicle at any time and that we understood that it was part of the job. Those of us who signed were never required to drive one.

Wow Dusty. Haven't you been a driver for a long time? You have never driven a manual transmission package car for UPS?

We just received our first two automatics last year.

UPSSOCKS

Extremely challenging. You will have a hard time passing the road test..

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

.... It is nothing to fix a manuel transmission when compared to an automatic. Plus the fact that a manuel will last 300,000 to 400,000 miles, while you would do well to get 100,000 out of an automatic.

The manual trans might well last for 300,000 but the clutch wont....a clutch in a UPS package car usually gets replaced every 30 or 40 thousand miles.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

The real reason UPS went to the automatic? Time. Automatics are faster in stop and go driving, saving those seconds off of every shift. Plus, with an automatic, you have a clean floor in front of the bulkhead door, for easier package handling. How many time as a driver have you um "rearranged the family jewels" while trying to get a package out of the cargo area?

Actually, it is because of fuel economy and emissions regulations...the transmission and engine are all electronically managed. The new Allison heavy-duty 5 speed automatics are supposed to last 200,000 miles between overhauls, and they get better mileage than a manual transmission.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

When I became a driver, I was friendly with the Saturday air supervisors. So I would go in on Saturdays and practice driving around the building and reversing into parking spots. It was a big help but really was still unprepared for actual driving conditions on the road.

This was back in 2000. At the time, I was a sup. so they had no issues. Also, nowadays saving fuel is big to them so they may not like someone using up their gas for nothing. Give it a try. Can't hurt to ask.

NHDRVR

This is most likely not an issue as most of the newer pkg cars on the road are automatic. It would not be a bad idea for you to learn how to drive a stick and it is not that hard to learn. Do you have a friend who has a manual transmission car? Ask him/her to teach you. Go to an empty parking lot and practice. When you feel confident enough to go on the road, go to a hill, stop, and see if you can start up on that hill. This is the way I taught my kids how to drive a stick.

The hill method is how I learned too. When you get the feel for that the rest is easy...

Ghost in the Darkness

Since 90% of the package cars are sticks you need to know how to drive one.

Really?! 100% of our PCs are autos. I agree that driving standards is definitely something you need to learn how to do especially if you still have manual transmission PCs at your center. Also you never know what they are using at driving school. I prefer standards for my personal vehicles, and actually have never owned an automatic.