How hard is the seasonal helper job, really?

rod

Retired 22 years
I know it sounds superficial but shaving my goatee off for a couple weeks employment sounds really humiliating. I would love to have a full time drivers job but that sounds pretty far fetched and unlikely to happen. Back to the drawing board.
Thanks for the help

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
No, I didn't disclose it. If I did nobody would hire me. I'm not sure if it would effect my performance or not. I lift things around the house just fine but it's not for 8 hours straight etc...

I need a mesh put in there, the doc says it's like Swiss cheese...but he won't do it untill I lose more weight. Said I'll just herniate it again at my current weight.
Sucks.

Another question, I see some UPS helper location jobs state must lift 35 pounds and others say 70 pounds. Which is it? Also do you have to wear UPS work boots? Why can't I wear my orthopedic shoes?
70 lbs. Max of 150 lbs. I had a mesh patch put in for a hernia a couple of years ago. Being a runner for a month could very well aggravate your current situation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, I didn't disclose it. If I did nobody would hire me. I'm not sure if it would effect my performance or not. I lift things around the house just fine but it's not for 8 hours straight etc...

I need a mesh put in there, the doc says it's like Swiss cheese...but he won't do it untill I lose more weight. Said I'll just herniate it again at my current weight.
Sucks.

Another question, I see some UPS helper location jobs state must lift 35 pounds and others say 70 pounds. Which is it? Also do you have to wear UPS work boots? Why can't I wear my orthopedic shoes?

The only reason I asked is that every year we hear about a seasonal who came in with an undisclosed preexisting injury who "hurts" him or herself and tries to file a (fraudulent) comp claim.

By The Book

Sucks.

It isn't worth making your condition worse working here this year. Follow your doctors advice, get the patch put in and take the time off to heal. Come back when you have no issues.

MassWineGuy

$15/hour? Where are you? That's amazing for a helper position.

It's hard, physical work. I think your weight might make it challenging. Then again, you'll likely lose a few pounds if you're doing it right. Most drivers are good to ride with. Some are total jerks who really shouldn't have any contact with others.

Good luck.

upschuck

Sucks.

The helper job is not for you.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Sucks.

Seriously? Orthopedic shoes??