How hard is the seasonal helper job, really?

Driver helpers gets $15 an hour?
Yes, that's what I was told. It's less to work inside and that's the harder job, so not sure why that is.

I didn't get too far into the interview, she cut me off and said I had to complete the driver's helper application and come back to do the whole thing over again. Since I originally applied to be a driver.

For some reason the system wouldn't let me complete the drivibg record part of the app, it kept saying something wasn't complete. I literally spent an hour trying to make it accept it and move on. Oh well that section isn't in the helper app I'm told.

The goatee is just icing on the cake of all the other reasons why it's probably a bad idea. What I did like about it is that my wife and I are going on vacation at about the same time this gig would end, so it would be nice not to worry about telling a potential employer that I need time off so quick

stef714

Serious question. I'm not here to get kicked in the teeth or belittled. I'm in my early 40's, trying to switch careers. I went back to school and have a degree but can't seem to find an opening position in my field "IT", not that I'm really interested in that, but I was too far into my program to switch directions...

Anyways, I've had some health problems and am finally back on my feet. I have lost close to 80 pounds from my heaviest "350" now 270 and dropping.

I went to the meeting for a driving job but was told that job was no longer available and offered a seasonal helper job instead. It pays $15 an hour. I'm not scared of walking the miles but I'm more worried I might not be fast enough and end up annoying the drivers etc... I should mention I still have an abdominal hernia, although I'm so used to it I hardly even think of it.

So is this job something I should try? Maybe it will be good for me to be more physically active, maybe it will lead to a driver job.... or am I setting myself up for failure?

The manager lady said something about needing to fit in the seatbelt and I swear looked at me when she said it. Maybe that was my imagination but still, that would be awful embarrassing to get fired because I cant buckel up.
Is it also true that you can't have a goatee, only a mustache?
Ok, thanks for any honest advice.

JohnLeeHooker,
Congradulations on recovering from health and weight loss to desired weight amount. I agree on what some of your responders are saying,but i like to share with u my opionion as seasonal drivers helper. Ever since i was a kid i get excited seeing Ups truck drove by my home. So i finally moved from canada to orange county ca worked @ the catering co for 1.5 yrs and did not have any chances in having luck seeking jobs since i dont drive. Alot of american rely on staffs to have vehicles,but on job disciption it says "reliable transportation" so busing to work or having someone drive u to work. Anyways,i thought i look for a man type ofemployment like a warehouse job. Ups came up on my warehouse job seek,and i saw driver helper. I apply for it i started last nov 2015- jan 2016 and i re applied this year again....so this is my 2nd time doing this. Im only 4'11 and weigh the same as the packages i deliver. Im not that quick learner if its a quick diab training n cram me millions instruction on it,plus learning the streets and numbers . I am not a dwarf or midget but with my tiny feet to my driver walking pace its differenti then to jog to the parcel customer home/business n jog back to truck. Ups is a fast n quick pace job but you know what yah as drivers you might hear them conplaining about other drivers or others helper but i dont take it personally. I communicate with my driver and tell him straight up "hey this is a whole new ball game for me n i dont drive n dont go out much im new to southern california so pls b patient n understand with me n i talk out to try learning the address,but i willing to securify my time to help u if we r backed up cause of me slowed u down" i still not 100% great scanning packages or adresses but each year i applying for the position the better i get.

Foamer Pyle

I have had heavy helpers in the past, and as long as you move at a brisk pace, that's all I expect. If you crap out 4 hours into an 8 hour shift, that's no good. Only you know how well your body will hold up doing physical labor.

Indecisi0n

Serious question. I'm not here to get kicked in the teeth or belittled. I'm in my early 40's, trying to switch careers. I went back to school and have a degree but can't seem to find an opening position in my field "IT", not that I'm really interested in that, but I was too far into my program to switch directions...

Anyways, I've had some health problems and am finally back on my feet. I have lost close to 80 pounds from my heaviest "350" now 270 and dropping.

I went to the meeting for a driving job but was told that job was no longer available and offered a seasonal helper job instead. It pays $15 an hour. I'm not scared of walking the miles but I'm more worried I might not be fast enough and end up annoying the drivers etc... I should mention I still have an abdominal hernia, although I'm so used to it I hardly even think of it.

So is this job something I should try? Maybe it will be good for me to be more physically active, maybe it will lead to a driver job.... or am I setting myself up for failure?

The manager lady said something about needing to fit in the seatbelt and I swear looked at me when she said it. Maybe that was my imagination but still, that would be awful embarrassing to get fired because I cant buckel up.

Is it also true that you can't have a goatee, only a mustache?

Ok, thanks for any honest advice.
Would you say you have a teddy bear body type?

JackStraw

You hold your piss and :censored2:
You let the driver know that you have to use the rest room, and he will try to accommodate you as soon as possible. Usually he'll tell you when he is at a place that has a rest room that now would be a good time to use it as there won't be one for a while and you should try to go. Holding "it" in is not healthy.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I know it sounds superficial but shaving my goatee off for a couple weeks employment sounds really humiliating. I would love to have a full time drivers job but that sounds pretty far fetched and unlikely to happen. Back to the drawing board.
Thanks for the help
So, your that attached to the hair on your chin
SMH!!
You best keep looking don't think this is for you

I would be curious as to whether he disclosed that either on his application or subsequent interview.
No, I didn't disclose it. If I did nobody would hire me. I'm not sure if it would effect my performance or not. I lift things around the house just fine but it's not for 8 hours straight etc...

I need a mesh put in there, the doc says it's like Swiss cheese...but he won't do it untill I lose more weight. Said I'll just herniate it again at my current weight.
Sucks.

Another question, I see some UPS helper location jobs state must lift 35 pounds and others say 70 pounds. Which is it? Also do you have to wear UPS work boots? Why can't I wear my orthopedic shoes?