How is over under timed?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Warehouse routes with lots of back up to dock stops where receiver are waiting to take stuff can beat the system because each stop gets high allowance for multiple packages and delivering to a dock can just be “scan and hand”. But they will expect same “speed” on a high volume medical park route where you have to park out in the lot and handcart multiple trips into multiple offices and suites navigating halls and elevators to get to delivery points, Doesn’t matter a stop is a stop.
Industrial routes WERE pretty good on bonus but not anymore… these types of routes were bringing the centers sporh down and they finally changed the numbers for these routes( even though these routes were some of the most physical in the Bldg and were the moneymakers ) I had a route that was 75 stops and 40 pickups and touching 700-800 pkgs a day and I was 1.5 bonus…they changed the allowances and overnight I was an hour over and they also added 25 more stops to me…it’s such a crock of :censored2:..just plain old dishonesty..so glad I’m in feeder and done with that bs…

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Back to OP.. does leave and return to building time figure in..in a way it does. You get a set amount of AM and PM time. So if you get delayed leaving the building for some reason that hit over allowed unless you code the time to something like “approved meeting”, “sort and load”, “training”.
Don’t get caught up using sort and load for anything unless your Bldg actually loads their own trucks because we have had drivers get hung up on doing that..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Bottom line, if you are a conscientious, experienced worker, consistent and thorough, and still can’t make “Their”numbers, then it can’t be done. Unless you run or cut corners, and that wasn’t gonna happen.
On some runs it is straight up a joke… there was 2 runs I use to do as a rookie and one was my training route and one was the next route over…I ran my ass off on the training route so I could get on the books then I slowed down… I knew the route very well.. but was 30-1 hour over all the time. One day they sent me out on the route next door cold, so I knew a few of the main streets but didn’t know delivery points or anything remotely as well as the training route… we’ll the first week I was an hour bonus every day, even though I struggled with the area and such and both runs were half resi/ half light industrial…about the same stops/pu’s…. Now how can anyone say that there’s no issue with that…come on!!

AKCoverMan

Don’t get caught up using sort and load for anything unless your Bldg actually loads their own trucks because we have had drivers get hung up on doing that..
We do load our own where I am now but the big hub had days where they would send preload home and have us finish loading the late air and/or they would leave RDC RDL RDR outside. Always clocked sort and load time for that if I had to load it, otherwise anything more than eight minutes after start time was over allowed. It was a CYA move. Nothing to “get caught up in” it was just honestly recording my time.

Had a few Helen Keller loads where had to stop and reorganize car after NDAs because it was so bad I was losing time at every stop hunting. I coded 20 mins of sort while sitting in a medical park parking lot. Again, just honestly recording my work. Sure they don’t like it, not my problem boss have preload fix their problems!

And “no!” I’m not talking about starting before start time to sort off the clock. 🤣🤣

oldngray

nowhere special
Industrial routes WERE pretty good on bonus but not anymore… these types of routes were bringing the centers sporh down and they finally changed the numbers for these routes( even though these routes were some of the most physical in the Bldg and were the moneymakers ) I had a route that was 75 stops and 40 pickups and touching 700-800 pkgs a day and I was 1.5 bonus…they changed the allowances and overnight I was an hour over and they also added 25 more stops to me…it’s such a crock of :censored2:..just plain old dishonesty..so glad I’m in feeder and done with that bs…
about the only thing with decent allowances now is miles.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We do load our own where I am now but the big hub had days where they would send preload home and have us finish loading the late air and/or they would leave RDC RDL RDR outside. Always clocked sort and load time for that if I had to load it, otherwise anything more than eight minutes after start time was over allowed. It was a CYA move. Nothing to “get caught up in” it was just honestly recording my time.

Had a few Helen Keller loads where had to stop and reorganize car after NDAs because it was so bad I was losing time at every stop hunting. I coded 20 mins of sort while sitting in a medical park parking lot. Again, just honestly recording my work. Sure they don’t like it, not my problem boss have preload fix their problems!

And “no!” I’m not talking about starting before start time to sort off the clock. 🤣🤣
Some drivers really care about the numbers and some don’t…I have been to many buildings for feeder.. in my experience smaller Bldg… rural areas are the worst when it come to drivers being spoon fed all of the bs about overallowed…could this be your case being in Alaska…better tell Scott Dupree (think I spelled it wrong) to settle down up there if that is where he still is…

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Some drivers feel like they have to account for every second… that’s Jedi mind tricks that ups plays on people from the very get-go…things happen on the daily and sometimes you just have to eat the time..nothing is smooth all of the time..especially driving around in the real world.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I had a time study on a rural route I had .. they redid the whole loop ( old fashioned count the steps time study) and I gain like 40 minutes… that lasted 2 weeks and they changed it back. I asked the onroad and he just gave me a dumb stare shook his head and walked away.. he knew what happen.. to be honest It probably affected him more than it did me..

AKCoverMan

Some drivers really care about the numbers and some don’t…I have been to many buildings for feeder.. in my experience smaller Bldg… rural areas are the worst when it come to drivers being spoon fed all of the bs about overallowed…could this be your case being in Alaska…better tell Scott Dupree (think I spelled it wrong) to settle down up there if that is where he still is…
Nope.. Scott moved on. And I doubt anyone in state has any control of the fantasy numbers.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Nope.. Scott moved on. And I doubt anyone in state has any control of the fantasy numbers.
Is He with ups still??? I just know of him from 30 years ago when he had a few assignments in the NW…seem like a decent guy but I think he was a PT’er at that point…didn’t know him that well.

AKCoverMan

Is He with ups still??? I just know of him from 30 years ago when he had a few assignments in the NW…seem like a decent guy but I think he was a PT’er at that point…didn’t know him that well.
He left last year I heard he took a position in lower 48. I think his youngest is out of house now she was in high school when I worked at hub few years back, I umpired some of her softball games. When he left he was Top Dog in state over package and air operations.

Some people hated him, I got along with him fine. One day the district told him to do a ride along with “whoever is most over allowed last week”. I was the senior cover driver i.e. they would put me on routes others had trouble with. Turned out I had run five routes in five days previous week... all routes I had done before but probably like once or twice a year or more ago. Bingo I was “most over allowed” lol. Whatever! Told Scott, “Great, I’ll enjoy the company.”

Scott obviously put the fix in, I got a sweet resi route that was loaded immaculately, nearly stop for stop. Think preload Supe was helping out. Did 150ish stops in eight hours. Most Scott said about my performance all day was that I should speed up to speed limit on highway.... I always started day in different car a little slow kinda feeling out the car. Bottom line was one of my easiest days.

charm299

Another over allowed myth...you don’t get extra credit for climbing steps even if you add the “floor” number. And no, it doesn’t add time allowance if you open stop next to the car and then close stop at the DR location, it’s still just the standard allowance for the stop plus tiny additional time for multiple packages,

They will always blow over this stuff and say we should make it up on other stops..it all averages out. But the allowances are all set to the most ideal, mythical best scenario where you can always park feet from the door, the packages are always right where you can easily select them in seconds, the weather is always sunny..... there’s another report that shows over allowed stop by stop.. very rarely your under allowed for a particular stop I.e. two suites next door to each other so the second one takes almost no time at all. But it’s a few seconds under while many other stops for various reasons will be minutes over allowed. You never get that time back.

The only number on the daily over allowed report rooted in truth is the number under “paid day”. That’s the amount of time that route actually took to run, that day with that particular load and dispatch. The rest is mathematical fantasy.
My supervisor told me last week that we get 19 seconds in back of truck for each package. So if you have 2 packages for a stop, you get 38 seconds and so on