How is the job security for a UPS driver now and into the future?

packageguy

Very good question, I think they will need less, the way they are
pounding us now, It looks like they want all senior guys to quit,
stop counts through the roof. we started with the 9.5 list and grievances

TheKid

I have 24 yrs. in, so I am good . . . . thanks for asking. If I had less time in, I do not know if I could put up with the :censored2: that has gone on the last couple of years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think we will have fewer drivers within the next 10-20 years with the focus primarily on commercial deliveries. I also think UPS will continue to diversify to the point where package operations will simply be another division.

browniehound

As long as the US economy grows, so will the UPS driver ranks. I believe its as simple as that. UPS can only cut routes to a point. At some point the route has to be left in to satisfy our customers. More importantly to managment is to keep the drivers under 10 hours.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As long as the US economy grows, so will the UPS driver ranks. I believe its as simple as that. UPS can only cut routes to a point. At some point the route has to be left in to satisfy our customers. More importantly to managment is to keep the drivers under 10 hours.

The average paid day on my center last summer was 10.4 hours and we had people laid off.

The only important thing to management is for us to have our pickup volume in by about 8:15 so that it can be processed. We have had drivers work up to 14 hours on a routine basis; they are instructed to meet another driver and offload their pickup volume before completing their deliveries at 9, 10 or even 11 at night.

The average paid day on my center last summer was 10.4 hours and we had people laid off.

The only important thing to management is for us to have our pickup volume in by about 8:15 so that it can be processed. We have had drivers work up to 14 hours on a routine basis; they are instructed to meet another driver and offload their pickup volume before completing their deliveries at 9, 10 or even 11 at night.
That's logistics

kuff

Less drivers. If we ever lost the QVC account we would be in a world of hurt. Also UPS doesn't allow customer account executives enough bargain room to win volume back from our competitors like FedEx. Even though we make millions in profits. If UPS didn't raise rates one year, we could win a lot of volume back that we have lost over the years.

brett636

UPS will need more replacement drivers in the coming years, but its hard to say if they will need more drivers overall. A lot of drivers are baby boomers who are on the verge of retiring and will need to be replaced. I just moved into our feeder department(driving tractor trailers), and we are bringing in an unheard of number of new drivers due to local customer pickup increases and retiring drivers.

brown bomber

brown bomber

eventually this is going to turn into a major safety issue........drivers walking up quarter mile long driveways in the dark is going to result in some ugly situations....I know it would have happened on my route.....attack dogs during the daytime, when they can see you, are managable.............after nightfall, GOOD LUCK

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
if they can drive down the salaries, i think they'll hire more drivers and split it more between commercial delivery trucks and NDA/residential delivery trucks

if the salaries stay the same, we'll just outsource our residentials more to the Post Office and increase the PT work force

The Milkman

eventually this is going to turn into a major safety issue........drivers walking up quarter mile long driveways in the dark is going to result in some ugly situations....I know it would have happened on my route.....attack dogs during the daytime, when they can see you, are managable.............after nightfall, GOOD LUCK

the first 10 yrs., you run..the 2nd 10 yrs., you walk..the 3rd 10 yrs,. you crawl...needless to say. I'm crawling..into my 4th 10 yrs. ..any suggestions

Retire Already :please:

kingOFchester

the first 10 yrs., you run..the 2nd 10 yrs., you walk..the 3rd 10 yrs,. you crawl...needless to say. I'm crawling..into my 4th 10 yrs. ..any suggestions

Retire Already :please:

Well, I ahve been at UPS going on my 5th year this summer. Driving 2.5 yrs, And I am already at the walking stage..........