How Long Before We Get Fred's Version of Telematics?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
First, let me say that I don't have a complete understanding of the UPS Telematics system. What I do understand is that it apparently measures, tracks, or monitors nearly every phase of vehicle operation, from seatbelt usage, to how many turns you make, to backing speeds. This doesn't sound like much fun, but given what we know about FedEx, how far behind can our version be? If UPS invents something, you can be fairly sure that FedEx will copy it, in an attempt to be as efficient as Big Brown.

The PowerPad is bad enough, but can you imagine having to account for your backing speed, idle time, or even more than you already have to worry about with the PowerPad? When I drove Seasonal Feeder for UPS, there was a rule that you couldn't idle your tractor more than 30 seconds without shutting it off. That meant if you were waiting at a security gate at the airport, you'd have to shut it down for fear that you'd end-up on the "Idle Report". Even as a temp, I was held to the same standards as the regulars. One night, one of my trailers had an air leak due to a bad glad hand seal, which had cracked around the edges and was slowly leaking air. I usually carried a few replacements, but that night I'd left my grip at home, so I had to keep it running to prevent the brakes from setting-up. The next day I was read the riot act, for leading the Idle Time list, even though there was no danger and I'd gotten the freight to all of the remote centers safely and on-time. No matter. This was also a great policy on freezing cold nights.

Anyway, the Idle Time Report was mild compared to Telematics, but it begs the question of when we will get Fredmatics or whatever FedEx decides to call their copy of UPS technology. This will be great fun if we get it, because it will be impossible to cheat the Powerpad like a lot of people do now. They will know that you've been driving during break and can track you exactly. Watch the new people drop like flies, because that's the only way a lot of them even get close to surviving. Same for the old people with bad habits, like not always buckling-up or speeding. They'll know...everything.

Cheating Fredmatics sounds possible from what I've read on the UPS threads, but since that's also a terminable offense, it wouldn't be a good idea to mess with it.

Knowing what we all know about FedEx, it's love of technology, and it's obsession with monitoring us, how soon can we expect to get to the next level?

menotyou

bella amicizia
It's the black box of cars. And, if you own your truck, you will probably have to pay for the installation of the system that they will use to try and fire you. Gotta love it.

thedownhillEXPRESS

As soon as DRA gets going in more locations we can expect this to be the next step.

Anything that helps them fire you is a no brainer.

For the UPS'ers, when was this implemented?

Did they need the unions consent?

I mean it does sound like it opens up a huge grey area to fire a driver for just about any reason...

menotyou

bella amicizia
As soon as DRA gets going in more locations we can expect this to be the next step.

Anything that helps them fire you is a no brainer.

For the UPS'ers, when was this implemented?

Did they need the unions consent?

I mean it does sound like it opens up a huge grey area to fire a driver for just about any reason...
It has been rolling out over the country for a few years, now. The contract covers no disciple based on telematics. (joke) The union, depending on where you are, folds like a cheap suit.
Yes, the grey area is massive. The reports are flawed, also.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Also it'll spit out a report on how many times you scratched your ass since you left the building.

All this electronic stuff is nothing but a harassment tool.

bbsam

Staff member
They recently turned on the GPS in our ground scanners in order to shut down functions when the speed reached a certain speed. I think 7 mph. Everything apart from seatbelt usage can be determined by this. Therefore it is a matter of when the company asks for the information. The raw data is already in record.

newgirl

How is the battery life holding up with the GPS activated?

I heard they drained them big time, maybe they have corrected that problem though.

Hmm. My powerpad battery goes from 100% to 10% in five hours. I thought it was the new updates. I wonder if they have turned on GPS. How can I tell?

SmithBarney

Well GPS doesn't need to be "on" necessarily, if it is in constant "tracking" mode it will run down the battery's quickly(mostly because it is not an actual GPS. but relies on GPRS(cell tower signals) to determine location)
otherwise most express couriers have seen the "geo-coded" check box.
Basically when you POD a package it will record your position based on GPRS location.
and after a "set" number of POD's to a particular address the system will "know" where you should be delivering.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I hope we get some version of Telematics. If for no other reason than to know it'll piss you off MFE.

Thanks, Jackass. You're just another of my many admirers on this site. I've been used to it since Day 1. If we do get Fredmatics, you'll probably be terminated the first day.

HomeDelivery

Hmm. My powerpad battery goes from 100% to 10% in five hours. I thought it was the new updates. I wonder if they have turned on GPS. How can I tell?

yup, in our division, we stay out on the road later than Ground

so we either carry a spare battery and/or have a 12V plug-in charger

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Well GPS doesn't need to be "on" necessarily, if it is in constant "tracking" mode it will run down the battery's quickly(mostly because it is not an actual GPS. but relies on GPRS(cell tower signals) to determine location)
otherwise most express couriers have seen the "geo-coded" check box.
Basically when you POD a package it will record your position based on GPRS location.
and after a "set" number of POD's to a particular address the system will "know" where you should be delivering.

Ruhh - Rohhh.
I better start really being at the address I'm releasing a package to.