how long did it take you to drive?

ikoi62

In 86 went for the interview on Thursday got a physical the same day,started class on Monday,was on a truck Thursday and Friday with a supervisor,was on a training route alone on Monday.30 days later was in the union. 30 years later retired.

UrFellowUpser

Even though i hate the job at times becoming a UPS Driver was and is the best career choice i ever made in my life and originally i was just fine having a pt job as a preloader just to get my wife off my back about being a jobless bum.

Heavy Package

You can drive pretty much immediately if you want. The key is full time.

While it varies by location, these words are so true. Who cares about driving if you are not on a path to top rate, FT, and benefits / pension? It took me less than a year, but that is when we had full Amazon and I am in a growing city. Now, even with the growth, they just jerk many people around and train them, only to rarely let them drive. They are kinda being screwed over being PT back in the hub, but they are also laughing as they are now making $20-ish per hr vs. $13. I think they are now classified as 22.4 or are the last wave to be grandfathered in before the new contract took effect.

JustDeliverIt

While it varies by location, these words are so true. Who cares about driving if you are not on a path to top rate, FT, and benefits / pension? It took me less than a year, but that is when we had full Amazon and I am in a growing city. Now, even with the growth, they just jerk many people around and train them, only to rarely let them drive. They are kinda being screwed over being PT back in the hub, but they are also laughing as they are now making $20-ish per hr vs. $13. I think they are now classified as 22.4 or are the last wave to be grandfathered in before the new contract took effect.

The only advantage to driving before going FT is to get the 2 years in for the PT progression so you start your FT progression at a higher rate. But I wouldn't jump in too early. If it's a 6 year wait at your hub, wait 3-4 then go. You get a feel for the job, see if your going to like doing it and can make your decision from there.

But to spend years doing it as a PT cover and then another 4 to get to top rate just seems absurd. Past service credits should really help PT cover drivers in some way attain top rate sooner. Even if you knock 4-6 months off progression time for every year a cover driver has been at it. Something to throw them a bone for the time put in.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Hired off the street. Went to school for two days on Thursday and Friday back in 1984. Was on a package car the next Tuesday because Monday was July 4th. Lasted 34 years. Retired last December. Was an entirely different company to work for back then. At least my center was.

brostalss

Worked 5 years and was about to go full time driving.
Then the strike of '97 hit. Had to wait 3 more years before I got into a Package Car.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Every building is different. Not really sure how big mine is compared to other areas. We have 10 Unload doors and 4 box lines if that gives you an idea. Rumor is that a bunch of the older drivers are retiring or jumping over into feeders so maybe the wait time will drop. Who knows lol.
It can happen fast. When I started thru said 5-7 years. 18 months later I was driving