How long has UPS had cover drivers?

UT Vols

I wish they'd tell you what route you were doing the day before. It sucks coming to work and getting thrown on a route at the last minute because the main guy didn't feel like working or had too many Irregs. Guys with their own route have it made (even if it's a crap route).

Knowing where you are everyday takes 90% of the pressure off. Can't wait to win a bid!

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I wish they'd tell you what route you were doing the day before. It sucks coming to work and getting thrown on a route at the last minute because the main guy didn't feel like working or had too many Irregs. Guys with their own route have it made (even if it's a crap route).

Knowing where you are everyday takes 90% of the pressure off. Can't wait to win a bid!
I wish I could agree but anymore our dispatcher makes sure my route at times resembles a split car and I have had my route for 20 years. Every day it is different.

Z

ZQXC

To sum up: An ugly girlfriend, is better than no girlfriend.

MobileBA

I know that UPS got rid of cover drivers in local 483 because UPS figured out that they could pay a progression wage for its newly hired drivers and through future retirements would be way ahead pay a progression rate for three years than paying a cover driver wage.

thessalonian13

Just wondering how long UPS has had cover drivers?
They started hiring cover drivers about 10 days ago in our center. Before that, would cover a vacationing driver's route by waving their magic wand and elves would do the route. The only problem the elves had was their feet didn't reach the pedals and the top shelves since they are so short.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Lol I'll take a blind decent route over having an everyday crap route any day of the week.

Some of us can handle being thrown on anything some can't.

I've learned it all comes off eventually.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
There sure is a lot of different terminology for drivers. At our hub, we have the bid drivers who are FT drivers that have their own route. Then there are 'floaters', who are FT drivers that don't own a route and do different routes depending on who's on vacation, sick, or leave. Then we have utility drivers, who are PT hub employees who are DOT certified. They call them up on random days where we are really short staffed. They don't get any 'cover driver' rate though. They start their 3 (now 4) year progression the day they first deliver ground.

Totally agree with you here. I'm a 3rd year driver who lucked out and got my own route because no one else wanted it since it goes out heavy and comes back heavy with pickups. For me it's not tough at all but then again I feel like I work with a lot of crybaby drivers. I do have to say though, I'll miss being a floater and getting to visit the lovely women at various businesses from the 15 different routes I used to cover. But I won't miss being thrown out on blind routes, split routes with 220+ stops, and the sheer uncertainty I used to feel everyday for those 3 years of not knowing what's next. I feel 90% better about the job now that I know what I'll be doing everyday for certain.

ManInBrown

The sooner you stop thinking like that, the better off you will be. I know too many routes. I never know where I will be. Many weeks I cover 5 different routes. It's just delivering packages. When you get done you get done. Thank God we are paid by the hour. Once you stop sweating what the day has in store for you, it makes it a much easier care free job. The stress magically disappears.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
The sooner you stop thinking like that, the better off you will be. I know too many routes. I never know where I will be. Many weeks I cover 5 different routes. It's just delivering packages. When you get done you get done. Thank God we are paid by the hour. Once you stop sweating what the day has in store for you, it makes it a much easier care free job. The stress magically disappears.

Be honest though: If there's a week where the bid driver is on vacation and they put you on his route all week, isn't it a lot easier knowing what you'll be doing all week? Instead of the chance of them throwing you on a blind route twice in that week instead?

PT Car Washer

My building has bid FT cover drivers who by seniority pick vacation routes for the week. We also have unassigned FT drivers who cover whatever comes up. They could be on 7 different routes in a single week. Start on one route and half way through the day go finish up another route.

calcio56

I agree with man in brown....I've been a cover driver (ft) for over a year. Management knows my ability and if they put me in the blind with no training, well I just go slow work safe and let mt bank account grow grow grow.

wayfair

swollen member
Be honest though: If there's a week where the bid driver is on vacation and they put you on his route all week, isn't it a lot easier knowing what you'll be doing all week? Instead of the chance of them throwing you on a blind route twice in that week instead?

When I was a cover driver, I loved knowing where I was going to have lunch!