How many areas around usa is ups updating

Blackstream

In the portland area they're finishing up a new building at Alderwood with an automated sort, and there's plans apparently in the works to update the main portland hub as well to an automated sort, temporarily moving the people out to nearby hubs while it's being worked on. The alderwood hub should be permanently opening up this peak, and I think the plan is for the portland hub to be updated in the next year or two. Probably needed because our missorts are absolutely terrible because our sort aisle is like 70-80% newbies because no one wants to be a sorter anymore. Especially because you need like 7+ years of seniority to make enough base pay to actually benefit from skilled pay thanks to UPS's $15 minimum wage.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
They put the second floor small sort in our building just before peak last year. The system breaks down regularly but it did eliminate small sort jobs, only half of the people there that used to work it. Other employees just got moved to different jobs in the operation.

Yeah I heard the system does have glitches and breakdowns and is loud as hell as well. On a positive note, they created a new full time porter job and posted it up for bid just to clean that second floor

JustDeliverIt

Yeah I heard the system does have glitches and breakdowns and is loud as hell as well. On a positive note, they created a new full time porter job and posted it up for bid just to clean that second floor

As a driver it sucks because half of the spa labels it puts on covers the bar code. Your either trying to pull it off gently to try and scan it or typing in half of your smalls all day. The system moves jobs out of the small sort while not doing it as well. Great system!!

JustDeliverIt

You don't hit the find barcode and type 4 numbers in?

I do. It's just another step in the process that doesn't need to happen if the system worked properly. Before the new system you'd get the occasional covered barcode but it was drastically less. Honestly it's just another annoyance that just doesn't need to happen IMO.

I do. It's just another step in the process that doesn't need to happen if the system worked properly. Before the new system you'd get the occasional covered barcode but it was drastically less. Honestly it's just another annoyance that just doesn't need to happen IMO.
Lots of easy fixes that could be implemented in this place.... nobody chooses to fix them.

Whatever. Just as long as my paycheck clears....

Hellobrown2000

If they don't get rid of sorters how can they afford raises and still match or beat wall street's expectations?

John Boy

We could sign up more high revenue accounts so we could deliver their time sensitive packages late.
That would require the sales team to do their job. I've turned in several leads which were requested by the customer to have a pickup account set up. None of them were ever contacted by anyone from UPS, two of which were daily NDA shippers. They now ship FedEx Express. Also heard from several of the new FT drivers in my building that they are "required" to submit one sales lead a month.