how many folks actually retire from ups???

disneyworld

I don't think there are any that LIVE to retire. Most are dead here.

Seriously, about 15 out of about 100 feeder drivers in last 30 yrs. Don't know about centers where I came from. In different part of building and don't keep up or even see any of them.

Sad, in my case, there are quite a few that retired that were under me in seniority. They may have come from other union trucking companys so that didn't help me out one bit as far as moving up.

Plan to retire here in 2. Will have 31, be 62, collect early Social and don't plan to do anything but consume large quantities of alcohol, er, I mean, Geritol.

Countdown to retirement is gonna be helped along by surgery, tho. Have been out for 3 weeks now and scheduled for total hip replacement in about 2 wks with time off amounting to about 3-4 mos. Hope to go back to work thru summer, then schedule OTHER hip for next winter. Let's see...3-4 mos plus 3-4 mos...hmmm...could be short yr in countdown.
I had mine done last January and I would recommend having the summer off rather than the winter. The wife couldn't clear the snow and I wanted to get outside so bad (cabin fever) but it was too cold. At least in the summer you can sit outside. Just my opinion.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
As for the pt shift in my building.......I know of only two pt's to ever retire. It was a rare treat to see them make it all the way, one started way back in '64.

Johney

Make sure you get your 156 reports in each of the following years to qualify for vacation.
Not sure how many reports one has to have to get one years credit with the pension
Correct me if I'm wrong but under the "NEW" contract isn't it hours worked? Something like 1800?

beatupbrown

The number of drivers making into a retirement will be fewer and fewer, UPS weight limit has gone up and that means people are going to need :sick:more surgery’s hips ,backs knees ankles etc…

Tony31yrs

A few years back, we had a feeder driver with 38 years in. He used the excuse that he didn't want his ex to get part of his pension because he hated her. Turned out he only owed her 200 a month because they weren't married long. They finally convinced him that he was losing money by working. He still waited until the first of the year to get his vacation. He was losing money while on vacation. When he retired, he was making about $72,000. After retiring at 65, with social security, he was getting over $90,000. He wound up getting a brain tumor and dying within a year. He never enjoyed his pension. That's one of the reasons I got out after 30 yrs at the age of 50 1/2. I got out healthy and I'm enjoying every minute. To all you guys with a while to go, hang in there and keep putting up with their bull-it will be worth it!

A few years back, we had a feeder driver with 38 years in. He used the excuse that he didn't want his ex to get part of his pension because he hated her. Turned out he only owed her 200 a month because they weren't married long. They finally convinced him that he was losing money by working. He still waited until the first of the year to get his vacation. He was losing money while on vacation. When he retired, he was making about $72,000. After retiring at 65, with social security, he was getting over $90,000. He wound up getting a brain tumor and dying within a year. He never enjoyed his pension. That's one of the reasons I got out after 30 yrs at the age of 50 1/2. I got out healthy and I'm enjoying every minute. To all you guys with a while to go, hang in there and keep putting up with their bull-it will be worth it!
Congrats Tony. A question. Are you drawing your pension pay? I was under the impression that while you can retire anytime after 30, you still have to be 57 to draw the pension pay. What is your situation on the health insurance?

Tony31yrs

I am drawing full pension. Here in New York State anyway, we have 30 and out. I actually was here for 4 years part-time and 27 as a delivery driver. I had to go 31 because of time missed during 2 strikes and when I actually got my original seniority. We get 15 years healthcare from UPS and 10 dental and eyecare from the Teamsters. This takes you up to Medicare or whatever will be around then. I was lucky that I was almost 51 when I got out and my wife was 50, so that the 15 years was enough
I actually took the 75% with the popup deal. I get 75% of my pension and if I die before my wife-she gets a good pension. If she dies first, I pop back up to 100%. She didn't have much of a pension because she didn't work long. At least this way, if I die, my pension gets used by someone.

I can't imagine looking back someday and thinking "Boy am I glad I stuck it out for that extra (you fill-in the blank)"
If you're able and eligible, you owe it to yourself. The view is much nicer out of the cab.

Tony31yrs

Right, I was lucky that I never hurt my back, knees, shoulder, etc. like so many of my co-workers did. I was, however, diagnosed with prostate cancer 6 months before I got out. Luckily, it was early and I had it taken out. Two years later, I'm feeling great with no signs of cancer. If I wouldn't have had the routine physical with a PSA blood test, maybe I wouldn't be around to enjoy any of my retirement. I was perfectly healthy and never sick in my life.
My point is, that you never know how much time you have and you have to enjoy life if you have the finances to do so. You could get a disease or get hit by a car tomorrow. Don't spend 60% of your day at UPS longer than you have to. I missed much of my kids growing up because of long hours so I didn't feel bad at getting out at 50 1/2 and enjoying life. If you don't have hobbies, get some or travel. Unless you're in management, there is more to life than UPS.

p1000

Free at Last
Christmas Eve was my last day. I have 31 years in will start getting my 1st pension check Feb 11th on my 50th birthday. Now I am just getting my vacation pay.

Tony31yrs

Work every day towards lunch, then work to get done. Next work for Friday. Most important, don't even think about UPS on the weekends to keep your sanity. The years will go by faster than you'd think.

BleedBrown

When I applied for UPS there were over 600 applicants, 25 were asked to come back for a second interview. Of the 25 interviewd they hired 6, only two of us left and he was the guy I went to lunch with the 1st day of orintation. That was September 8th 1978.

Fnix

When I applied for UPS there were over 600 applicants, 25 were asked to come back for a second interview. Of the 25 interviewd they hired 6, only two of us left and he was the guy I went to lunch with the 1st day of orintation. That was September 8th 1978.

This would be an interesting new thread. How many of your hiring group are still left.

Leftinbuilding

This would be an interesting new thread. How many of your hiring group are still left.

I was the only one in my hiring "group". Things were different then. I walked in on the very day the first female hired in our center quit. She quit in the middle of her second day. I got her job. 12/03/73

Tony31yrs

When I was first hired as a part-timer, the lowest seniority full-timers that they didn't have routes for, went inside. I got to know a lot of the drivers even before I became full-time. After driving cover for a few years, I would estimate I knew 75% of the drivers. When I left, it was reversed and I probably only knew 25%. I only know a couple of delivery drivers that went past their full pension date.

UPS Lifer

Ya have to feel sorry for the ones that don't know when to retire. The best advise I can give is to plan for your retirement and then don't work one more day than you have to. Life is too short to make your wifes next husband a rich man.:nono:

Got to agree with Rod. I was on salary when I retired last March and I went out on my 55th birthday. I had to forfeit a portion of my pay. I took my 6 weeks prior to my birthday so I could leave at the end of January 07! I lost more money than I get in my pension but those are two of the best weeks I will ever have! It was worth every penny.

In the Pacific Region, you have to be 55 in mgmt. to retire. Most people that started before 25 years old will retire at 55. Those folks that have children under 18 will wait until they are older. As a Teamster in the South West Conf. you need 80 years (age & service) and I have seen drivers retire as early as 51!

I worked for UPS 36 years and retirement comes faster than you think!

Honestly - I always enjoyed Peak Season and I did miss it (a little) this year!

Fnix

As a Teamster in the South West Conf. you need 80 years (age & service) and I have seen drivers retire as early as 51!

A teamster in the South West Conf? Is that UPS?

I plan to retire at 47 with 30 years. Put since I may be part time for 4-5 years I could foresee 50.