How Many live checks do you have?

happyboy

What is the Most live checks that you have had at one time uncashed ? I like getting live checks I haven’t lived from check to check in a long time so I don't need to run down to the bank and wait in a long line to cash it or sit in the atm line.

Saving up live checks is just a silly way for me to save money, I have had 10 or so live checks at one time it seems every year or so for a couple of years. Right now I have more than 12 live checks and I am planning on establishing a new live check record! Maybe I will even aggravate someone in the Ivory tower in Atlanta in the Accounting department lol.

What's your record?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Welcome to 2013! Most of us have direct deposit.

I hired into UPS during the late 1990s as a 17-year-old high school student keen to the idea of electronic banking. At the time, my bank - Bank One - was charging (among many other fees) $2 each time you visited a live teller. Surprisingly, electronic banking & online billpay was free. I still have that account, and many of the 50 starter checks (which Bank One conveniently charged me $10 for) that came with it. Heck, I can count the number of times I've paid for gas by not using the credit card pump reader on one hand -- and all but one was at ARCO in Los Angeles, which has some really crappy payment rules.

In my whole career I've had one live check -- that was in late 2002, when everybody got a live check for our retro raise after the contract was ratified.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
I have everyone of my uncashed checks from my 30 years there. I was born into great wealth and just worked UPS as a hobby.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We used to have a driver that had his own wealth outside of UPS. The center would get calls from accounting to tell him to cash his checks because it was screwing up accounting. It would be several months worth some times.

When I went from part-time to full-time I thought I was rich! I did have a bank account but I also enjoyed holding on to those checks. I think I had 9 paychecks in my wallet when my pkg manager alerted me that Payroll wanted to me stop holding on to my checks. Those days are looong gone! I thought I was the only one doing that.

balland chain

What is the Most live checks that you have had at one time uncashed ? I like getting live checks I haven’t lived from check to check in a long time so I don't need to run down to the bank and wait in a long line to cash it or sit in the atm line.

Saving up live checks is just a silly way for me to save money, I have had 10 or so live checks at one time it seems every year or so for a couple of years. Right now I have more than 12 live checks and I am planning on establishing a new live check record! Maybe I will even aggravate someone in the Ivory tower in Atlanta in the Accounting department lol.

What's your record?

I would cash them asap so the company does not earn the interest on the money, I would.

Camping Nana

I understand the "savings" aspect of it; however, it is not prudent nor is it safe to have so many un-cashed checks. Obviously you have never had to deal with UPS to have a lost or damaged check replaced.

Open a separate savings account that is not linked to any account you use on a regular basis and account that will cause you to have to actually go to the bank to withdraw money. NOT online or with an ATM card. Have the checks direct deposited into that account. You will still be saving and not likely to spend it frivolously because you have created extra steps for yourself to be able to access the money and you will think twice before doing that. JMHO

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I understand the "savings" aspect of it; however, it is not prudent nor is it safe to have so many un-cashed checks. Obviously you have never had to deal with UPS to have a lost or damaged check replaced.

Open a separate savings account that is not linked to any account you use on a regular basis and account that will cause you to have to actually go to the bank to withdraw money. NOT online or with an ATM card. Have the checks direct deposited into that account. You will still be saving and not likely to spend it frivolously because you have created extra steps for yourself to be able to access the money and you will think twice before doing that. JMHO

Good advice---the only thing I would change is to have the money direct deposited in to a Roth IRA rather than a savings account.

Kae3106

What's your record?

Nah, you'll aggravate some poor hourly accountant in the trenches of the Dallas accounting department. He's a nice guy...don't do this to him.

Here's the problem: those checks go stale after 180 days. When that happens, the bank tells us the check is no longer good. Then someone has to send you a letter alerting you that you have an uncashed check. You have to send back the letter and then the accountant has to request a new check for you. The replacement process is not quick and can take a couple of weeks.

There was a situation a few years ago where an employee didn't cash their checks for an extended period of time. But then started cashing them right around the 180 day mark. It was an ongoing issue for several months where we would issue a replacement check and then the original would be cashed at the same time. It turned out to be coincidental but the timing of it really looked suspiciously like intentional fraud since it happened several times.

Here's my suggestion. Since you don't seem to need the money right away, open an online money market or savings account with direct deposit. You won't have to go to a bank and you'll draw a little interest. I think Ally has some of the best rates for a non-credit union right now.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I still get paper checks. Got 2 here but I better get to the bank soon so I can pay my tax bill! NJ-9K a year (for a small house) in property taxes!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I realize you are a little slow but why don't you use direct deposit.

I wasn't even aware they allowed paper checks to be issued.

Either the 2002 or the 2008 contract mandated that all new hires were to receive direct deposit, or the payroll debit card; however, it's never been enforced (and all seasonal driver helpers receive paper paychecks as means to barter for the return of the uniform). The payroll card is an excellent resource for those unable to qualify for a traditional banking account (e.g. one of the millions who's "abused" it in some way) as UPS pays all the fees associated with the card, including a weekly ATM withdrawal. Many other employers' also require direct deposit or a payroll card, but stick their employees with fees associated with the card. That said, I know many low-seniority hourlies who take their $100 check to LaQuita's Liquor and pay several bucks to cash it.

The elimination of live checks & paper stubs would save UPS tens of millions annually -- perhaps even over $100M. I'm curious why the Teamsters didn't barter this position when negotiating health care, since it's an easy concession. Of course, it'll piss off many UPSers over 60.

Software such as Quicken enables synchronization with PeopleSoft (which is the engine UPS, and most other companies, use to view pay stubs online), which enables the ability to download pay stubs. However, UPS is using an ancient version of PeopleSoft that either lacks this ability or hasn't had it activated. Although I really don't understand the point in hoarding past pay stubs... I use to do it, but really, more work for others when I die & they're tasked with tossing out my worthless junk.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I realize you are a little slow but why don't you use direct deposit.

I wasn't even aware they allowed paper checks to be issued.

I have direct deposit but have the stub given to me every week by my sup because I've had so many issues with my paychecks being wrong and they don't like using the printout from upsers.com for some reason...so sad. By this time I really thought most people wouldn't get a paper copy but every thursday morning before PCM the sups walk around with stacks of checks for everyone. Old school in my center apparently.