How much do feeder drivers make per year?

UPS.driver

Great stuff. My center runs about 60 cars a day and we have 3 feeder drivers plus 1 package feeder driver. One of our feeder drivers just retired and his route is up for bid. The bid comes down at 6am Monday and as of Saturday afternoon I was the one with the most seniority to have bid it. I've talked to the feeder drivers in our building and they all say take the bid. If you can handle night work your body will love you again. I'm 39 and have been driving for 14 years and I'm worried about my body breaking down over the next few years. I've been lucky so for and still have my health, but I don't want to be like most drivers with 20 plus years. Just hanging on with bad knees, backs, shoulders, and feet trying to get to retirement.
Go for it!!! And good luck. (BTW, this is my 1st post....from Metro Philly District)

Air Hub

Where in the heck dod you hear that a 1st year pilot made $500 a week! That is the first time I have ever heard a statement like that. The pilots lounge was less than 50 feet away from my office!

The UPS pilots make $150K plus. A Captain will make more than $200K plus, probably closer to $250K!

One of the most prestigious jobs in the industry is being a UPS pilot. They also have the best equipment out there. They deserve it!

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/cargo/ups.html

OK... you are correct. Starting pay has gone up... it is currently more then $500 a week...it is $618.75 a week for the first year. Or $32,175 per year.
It does jump up a lot after the first year... like $100,000 per year for the second year.
A 10 year Captain will make over $200,000. Max Captain pay is $217,728 per year. But you don't get hired as a Captain, you have to work your way up the ranks, it takes 7-10 years to make Captain.

browniehound

What if I'm terrified to drive a truck this large? Are there any feeder guys out there that were terrified at driving a truck this large? And can this be overcome?

I'll admit it, when it comes to driving, I'm a wus. When its snowing, my knuckles are white and eyes are bug-eyed in a package car. Can someone like this even think about feeders?

I just don't feel safe in a package car and it worries me more than it should. I think feeder trucks are much more safer than a 1982 p1000.

So I guess I wouldn't be as nervous in a feeder as a P-car simply because they are built with the latest safety features.

So my question is: are there any feeder drivers out there that were once nervous driving a piece of crap p-car, but are in feeders now and much more comfortable?

Thanks in advance!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
What if I'm terrified to drive a truck this large? Are there any feeder guys out there that were terrified at driving a truck this large? And can this be overcome?

I'll admit it, when it comes to driving, I'm a wus. When its snowing, my knuckles are white and eyes are bug-eyed in a package car. Can someone like this even think about feeders?

I just don't feel safe in a package car and it worries me more than it should. I think feeder trucks are much more safer than a 1982 p1000.

So I guess I wouldn't be as nervous in a feeder as a P-car simply because they are built with the latest safety features.

So my question is: are there any feeder drivers out there that were once nervous driving a piece of crap p-car, but are in feeders now and much more comfortable?

Thanks in advance!

This question has come up before I think, Brownie. I just forget where. Sorry:sad:. However, UPS will train you on driving feeders. Before long, you feel like you're behind the wheel of a sedan. Backing would scare the :censored2: outta me though! I say go for it, man. Be patient with yourself and the equipment and you'll do fine. -Rocky

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Re scared !!

If your worried driving a p1000 pkge car in snow, the feedr does handle a lot different, you on the h/way wich is plowed and sanded much better than a resy street. You keep a steady pressure on the fuel keep those tires rollling increase the following distance and lay off the brakes.We all had to learn and get through it .Just remember saftey first,your the captain and it;s your ship GO SLOW< also if you go to the feeder school ,the own you for a two year commitment. For the 9 or 10 bad nights a year it beats the hell out of humping bundles in your 40;s & 50;s GOOD LUCK DRIVAH!!!:thumbup1:

tieguy

Banned

OK... you are correct. Starting pay has gone up... it is currently more then $500 a week...it is $618.75 a week for the first year. Or $32,175 per year.
It does jump up a lot after the first year... like $100,000 per year for the second year.
A 10 year Captain will make over $200,000. Max Captain pay is $217,728 per year. But you don't get hired as a Captain, you have to work your way up the ranks, it takes 7-10 years to make Captain.

Sounds like a great compensation plan. How many hours do you guys work in a month to make that kind of money? I've heard its as little as 30 to 40?

705red

Browncafe Steward

Lets see the average upser starts out ptime at $8.50 an hour, 5 or so years to go fulltime time, 2 and half to top out, so we spend about 7.5 years to average $60,000 plus a year. I got screwed somewhere in life! Should have been a pilot, if im correct i think they fly about 50 hours a month!

UPS Lifer

While we are on the subject of our airline.... How about those UPSCO mechanics! They do not get the credit they deserve. Without those folks our planes would all be grounded; then where would we be???

raceanoncr

While we are on the subject of our airline.... How about those UPSCO mechanics! They do not get the credit they deserve. Without those folks our planes would all be grounded; then where would we be???

Still flying as usual. Talked to mechs in Louky. Most are pretty p***ed off cuz they're basically tire-thumpers and windshield washers.

They said most heavy work goes to China...overhauls, etc. Company refuses to train em on important work, and they WANT to do it.

Can we say OUTSOURCING?

chev

Nightcrawler
I made a little over 95k last year. We have to work a hell of a lot of OT to make that much, and I did. I will probably be around 85 to 90 this year. My OT got trimmed a bit. :sad-little: