How Peak Was A Long Time Ago

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Back in the day Xmas eve was anything that looked like it might be a present

Always done early afternoon Xmas eve

Anybody else get the fireworks around 4th of July

They’d send a little pamphlet with all kinds of fireworks to every farmer in the country who would order from this pamphlet

Week before the 4th truck would be bricked out with fireworks

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Except after Christmas peak. Then about a third of the crew was layer off for varying amounts of time. Those who were "lucky?" enough to be working usually got stuck with about 10 hours work.
Yeah January feburary has always been a slow work time and usually not many vacations.

Although now the busy time goes well into January.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Back in the day Xmas eve was anything that looked like it might be a present

Always done early afternoon Xmas eve

Anybody else get the fireworks around 4th of July

They’d send a little pamphlet with all kinds of fireworks to every farmer in the country who would order from this pamphlet

Week before the 4th truck would be bricked out with fireworks
Wasn't all that long ago either.

Getting off at 2-3 pm for Xmas eve. Those were the days.

badpal

Contrary to what you all believe UPS of years ago wasn't all sunshine and lollipops. We had our late nights and harassment also. At my particular center we had a half a dozen peaks throughout the year. We had the peak where all the tourist business were stalking up for the tourist season. The hard part of that one was finding a place to deliver the packages to that was actually open. We also had what I always considered worst than Christmas. We had "seed season". Everyone on earth ordered frigin garden seeds out of the Gurney catalog. And I mean everyone. At least those were driver release. You may now tell me again how rough things are now.
Don't forget trees in a sack.

rod

Retired 22 years
When my kids were in grade school I went to every Christmas program they had. Some years I had to deadhead in for 20 miles or so, stand in the back of the gym to see the program and then go back out and finish my route. On Christmas Eve we usually got off fairly early but there were a few years that wasn't the case. I also remember braking down on xmas eve more than once ......of all days.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Then again a lot of the posters on here seem to be off work every other night of the year by 5 or 6 o'clock and seem to take every Friday or Monday off or call in sick just for the hell of it. I don't doubt
UPS is squeezing the turnip harder than ever but ...................."

it's really more as to who it falls on, when you get screwed you get screwed

There was a time when if you were a 30 route center you ran 30 routes every day.

No you have days where 30% of the routes are cut to meet SPC.

I'd much rather go back to the days of your area is your area and you work every day.

UPS as a company would much, much rather go back to this way, but it can't without flexibility in guaranteed hours

that's not a jab at the union, but it's far simpler from a planning perspective

rod

Retired 22 years
Don't forget trees in a sack.
No trees in a sack to deliver here. We have Christmas tree farms all around us so people who like a real tree have easy access to them. They will bag them at the farm for you if you want.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
No trees in a sack to deliver here. We have Christmas tree farms all around us so people who like a real tree have easy access to them. They will bag them at the farm for you if you want.

(I think he meant the seedlings. I delivered boxes upon boxes of seedlings the tree farms, in addition to the fruit tree seedlings every spring.)

rod

Retired 22 years
(I think he meant the seedlings. I delivered boxes upon boxes of seedlings the tree farms, in addition to the fruit tree seedlings every spring.)
Duh........... I forgot about the saplings in a sack. It was always nice delivering those that were busted in half

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I had a Christmas eve back in the late 70's I remember especially. Had a helper with me the whole day. They started that peak riding with you from the building, but towards the end of peak, I picked him up on the way to the route. He parkd in a mall parking lot. We got the word that *anything* that looked like a Christmas gift *had* to be delivered. No signature release back then. Don't know how it happened, but I got a misload that was not only out of my area, but it was not even delivered from our building. It was about 20 miles from where my area ended, and I saved it for last. Delivered it about 11:00 pm, way out in the sticks on a dirt road. Was afraid to go up to a house that late, so I just honked my horn. An older lady came out that looked to be about 70. It was a gift from her grandkids. She started crying when she saw the package. She thought her grandkids had forgotten about her. Helper and I both had something in our eye after talking to this lady. I punched out after midnight after about a 45 minute ride back to the building. I was the last one in. Nobody from the center team was there, they had all gone home. Seeing that little lady happy was worth it to me.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Duh........... I forgot about the saplings in a sack. It was always nice delivering those that were busted in half
Remember that zoysia grass? They had sod attached and were heavy as hell and leaking dirt. They were prepaid, but in the fine print it stated "shipped to you fastest way possible freight collect" The cost of shipping a box full of dirt across country wasn't cheap even then. Most people refused it. Then I had to bring it back to the building, then unload it to the clerk so they could RTS it. Big pain in the arse.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Remember that zoysia grass? They had sod attached and were heavy as hell and leaking dirt. They were prepaid, but in the fine print it stated "shipped to you fastest way possible freight collect" The cost of shipping a box full of dirt across country wasn't cheap even then. Most people refused it. Then I had to bring it back to the building, then unload it to the clerk so they could RTS it. Big pain in the arse.

I remember those

Go back a month later box still laying where I dropped it

retired2000

Back in the 70’s they had no idea how many stops you had on your car they would just send you out we would leave the building most days by 9 though

barnyard

KTM rider
I grew up in Racine, Wi. Had a paper route for 3 years. I remember seeing the neighborhood UPS guy out after 9p most peaks in the late 70s and early 80s.

20 years ago, I was a helper for a driver with a bricked out p500. There was no jump seat, I said something to the driver supe, he said, "How bad do you want to work?" We went back to 2 businesses at least 3 times because their stuff was loaded so poorly.

Guy that lived across the street from me said that he used to work till 10:30p back when he 1st started. That was with a 7:45 start time.

The DOT hours of service has helped make peak at UPS a little more tolerable.

mrbrownstone

I had a Christmas eve back in the late 70's I remember especially. Had a helper with me the whole day. They started that peak riding with you from the building, but towards the end of peak, I picked him up on the way to the route. He parkd in a mall parking lot. We got the word that *anything* that looked like a Christmas gift *had* to be delivered. No signature release back then. Don't know how it happened, but I got a misload that was not only out of my area, but it was not even delivered from our building. It was about 20 miles from where my area ended, and I saved it for last. Delivered it about 11:00 pm, way out in the sticks on a dirt road. Was afraid to go up to a house that late, so I just honked my horn. An older lady came out that looked to be about 70. It was a gift from her grandkids. She started crying when she saw the package. She thought her grandkids had forgotten about her. Helper and I both had something in our eye after talking to this lady. I punched out after midnight after about a 45 minute ride back to the building. I was the last one in. Nobody from the center team was there, they had all gone home. Seeing that little lady happy was worth it to me.

Wow that must have been a hell of an experience.

I'm curious, did you have to sit and literally map it out or did you already know the general area of her house?

I'm spoiled with gps now, which is laughable to you guys.

rod

Retired 22 years
Zoiza grass and onion sets. Pita

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Zoiza grass and onion sets. Pita
Queen sized mattress, bunk bed frames, entertainment centers, computer desks. All from 90-150 lbs. Hell I even delivered an electric scooter for old heads in November. Zoiza sounds pretty nice to me. How many onions come in a set?

rod

Retired 22 years
Back then Management team had no problem going home before the troops were all back. At other times during the year they didn't even bother to show up in the morning and when they did chances were they were out of the door for the day as soon as the last truck pulled out.