How To get a New union steward ?

LU710

How long has he been a steward? How long have you been employed and what is your position? I would have to have a lot more info before I would agree on voting a steward out especially since your BA is not in agreement.
I would have to agree with Rebel. We don't have enough information to really know what is going on here. He may not be doing his job as a Steward; but he may also be doing a good job just not one that the original poster is happy with. We don't really know. Alot of times as a Steward you have the job of telling members what the contract says; not what they want it to say. This isn't always popular but usually most members understand and if they don't they have a right to grieve anyway. I wouldn't criticize this Steward till I knew all the facts. He has a tough job that most wouldn't do.
I would suggest the poster jump in and help the Steward out maybe together you can make your workplace a better place for everyone.

gandydancer

You sound like you do a very good investigation. You should run for office.

Assuming I get back from my torn rotator cuff in time, I'll be running to replace a retirng steward later this year, thanks. And I was elected already to replace the safety pet.

I don't have a position on removing this steward, but I do have one on the following:

we have spoken to the BA and he says that they are there till the end of the contract. doen't matter that we have the 51%...

...and I already said what it was. You don't need to know whether a steward should be recalled to answer the question as to whether he ought to be subject to recall. If you think stewards and BA's ought to be immune to the dissatisfaction of their membership you're no "rebel". Try "toady".

Last edited:

rebel

...and I already said what it was. You don't need to know whether a steward should be recalled to answer the question as to whether he ought to be subject to recall. If you think stewards and BA's ought to be immune to the dissatisfaction of their membership you're no "rebel". Try "toady".[/quote]

IMO you sound like what you are. Just happy you won't be representing me

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The nearlhy entire local representation up here is in bed with management with Local 25, in this district. sure we could run against a steward but there's no chance in hell it'll make a difference.

MadGirl

Ive read the replies on this subject. My story..We have just elected new steward few months ago. I was huge part in making the change.HUGE MISTAKE! I was also his alternate, nobody wanted to the job and Ive been there 20 years and he's been there about 2. I knew he could trust me and I backed him and tried to help him do right things. You can't tell him anything!! Ive been out of work approx 6 weeks due to complications from neck surgery. My business agent calls me about insurance and assumed I knew, He has replaced me as his alt!! No call, no nothing!! Thats just the last thing he's done but hope that tells you all the kind of person he is. He is also a HUGE management man. He does overtime wrong and won't change it! Guess Im paying for putting him in but I really wished we could get him out! Thanks for reading!

stink219

The nearlhy entire local representation up here is in bed with management with Local 25, in this district. sure we could run against a steward but there's no chance in hell it'll make a difference.
Your complaining about Sean O? He's a bad :censored2: that hates UPS more than I do. I assure you, he is not in bed with management!!

hyena

A petition with over half the signatures should get a bid sheet up for steward. If one person signs it they win, if more than one, it goes to a vote.

22.34life

a lot of people like to complain about the union steward but nobody wants to be one.ironic huh.these people dont work for you because to work for someone means you get paid and these guys dont get any extra pay.if you have a bull**** b.a then the best steward in the world cant do jack.in my hub the employes are so dumb that they are beyond help from anyone.you ever read a grievance that went like this"these ho's trying to **** over me".you see countless guys coming up to the steward every day asking about the new contract,take some time and look it up for yourself.even after he tells them what website to go look at the same dude comes everyday asking the same question.guys want to know the contract but dont even have a contract book and if they do they cant understand it cause their too stupid.

Froggie

Find someone that you could get 75% of the vote. Probably someone who does not want the job and ask him if he would be willing to take the Position. Get others to lobby him. If he really wants the job, he probably does not what entails. Get someone who is a short-timer with a cool rational head. Someone who walks softly but carries a big stick. Once you have identified that person the existing stewart will probably second the nomination.

Thumper

What is B/A please. We have a union steward who literally is harassing us, and filing to keep us from doing any extra work by senority, keeps us from doing our bid jobs, when there's extra. Files grievances to use friend.t. to cover p.t. work. Everything he does is to undermined the brotherhood, and screw us p.t. bid people out of getting any extra work. Can we get him out permanently being a union steward. He is now blocking extra work we were already certified and doing for over 2 yrs. getting lesser senior employees the work. What a pos to go out of his way to screw us out of work. any advice please.

Thumper

Can u impeach n block a steward from ever running again? no one really wants the job, why he keeps so long, but there's 2 centers like 3 or 4 stewards. so can he be stricken from being one if enough proof and people sign to remove him. im paying union to screw me over, is what feels like.

EverybodyLovesMike

No, my name isnt mike
What is B/A please. We have a union steward who literally is harassing us, and filing to keep us from doing any extra work by senority, keeps us from doing our bid jobs, when there's extra. Files grievances to use friend.t. to cover p.t. work. Everything he does is to undermined the brotherhood, and screw us p.t. bid people out of getting any extra work. Can we get him out permanently being a union steward. He is now blocking extra work we were already certified and doing for over 2 yrs. getting lesser senior employees the work. What a pos to go out of his way to screw us out of work. any advice please.
Thread is over 10 years old but still relevant. Same here as well. We have a couple of sellout shareholder mentality stewards that are absolute cancer for the union members. It's one thing to be inadequate but its cancerous when you have stewards working with management.

Just to clarify, which is it? Sellout working with management or just highly inadequate?