How to leave UPS?!

W

want to retire

That's not the issue. The hours work out well with my boyfriend. It's just a sense of unsatisfactorily and wasted potential that I don't like........

Where to start.........?

2 kids, no husband.....sounds like the woman at my wife's job.......4 kids no husband.....

Boyfriend? You're planning your life(kids) around a boyfriend?

14 years until you can go full-time and potentially not drive? This company is about driving and back-breaking work. But then again females/minorities and the like get special treatment...so anythings possible.

Unsatisfactory and wasted potential?......hear this: No person at UPS cares one rip about your potential or unsatisfaction...........trust me..............

Sitting around waiting to be "satisfied" and somehow being given a full-time, great with benefits position.........

One last consideration........I seriously doubt UPS will exist in the form it is in 14 years. I don't know how old you are, but spend 4-6 years getting an education and go explore your "wasted potential". As a single woman with 2 kids........you should be able to live off govt. hand-outs nicely. Minority.....even sweeter.

Cynical? You bet. Harsh? Mean? Uncaring? Look in the mirror and you will find all your answers.

Integrity

Binge Poster
If you're going to keep working here, make the most of your time! You've got two kids who are well covered with insurance. But I'll say it again, if you have any knack for school work, take advantage of it. You really don't want to be a driver. The pay and benefits are good, but the hours, especially when you consider your kids, are horrible. I'm 46, and looking back at it now, there is NO WAY I would have stayed as a driver. I would have gotten off my lazy ass and got a college degree in a subject that I had passion for, and made the step to a profession that would have made sense to me. I urge you to consider that option for yourself.
Dracula,

Humbly and well said.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Where to start.........?

2 kids, no husband.....sounds like the woman at my wife's job.......4 kids no husband.....

14 years until you can go full-time and potentially not drive? This company is about driving and back-breaking work. But then again females/minorities and the like get special treatment...so anythings possible.

Unsatisfactory and wasted potential?......hear this: No person at UPS cares one rip about your potential or unsatisfaction...........trust me..............

Sitting around waiting to be "satisfied" and somehow being given a full-time, great with benefits position.........

One last consideration........I seriously doubt UPS will exist in the form it is in 14 years. I don't know how old you are, but spend 4-6 years getting an education and go explore your "wasted potential". As a single woman with 2 kids........you should be able to live off govt. hand-outs nicely. Minority.....even sweeter.

Cynical? You bet. Harsh? Mean? Uncaring? Look in the mirror and you will find all your answers.
want to retire,

I mean no disrespect but I don't approve of your response.

Not only is it mean, it is not true.

I care about this persons potential and unsatisfaction, trust me.

Look into your heart, was this kind. Don't you want to be a kind person?

Sincerely,
I

packageguy

Hello

I have worked for UPS for 5 years now. I really don't like the work and hours. I feel like I'm wasting valuable time. To be a driver at our hub you have to wait a good 14 years and I HATE feeling like I'm going NOWHERE. I know the long term benefits of staying are unmatchable!!!!! That is what makes this choice so insanely hard! I'm seriously scared... But should I let that fear keep me down in brown? How do I muster up the courage to leave!? I know I will be much happier making less money an hour working more somewhere else... like in retail. I just don't want to regret making this decision! I feel like I still have a chance to be happy in a job. The big brown hole doesn't have the much of a hold on me quite yet.... Thanks!

It's funny, lots of people want to leave but, not to much out there, My advise might not me much, but stay with UPS keep your benefits.

W

want to retire

want to retire,

I mean no disrespect but I don't approve of your response.

Not only is it mean, it is not true.

You're right.......you care.....I stand corrected.

I care about this persons potential and unsatisfaction, trust me.

And, so?

Look into your heart, was this kind. Don't you want to be a kind person?

Truth hurts...........

Sincerely,
I

A

anonymous6

i'll tell you what i tell my own grown children when they have a difficult decision.

"LISTEN TO YOU GUT! " that's your guardian angel trying to steer you in the right direction.

your first post says it all. read it a couple times. i think you'll figure it out. then don't look back after you make a decision. you don't want to second guess yourself the rest of your life. with UPS on your resume you can get just about any job with better opportunities.

Where to start.........?

You sound quite bitter! Which is what I don't want to happen to me one day ;) UPS has a way of doing that to people. It's so sad.

Sure, I found 3 jobs that do. Service writer does not pay but that is the first job I landed 3 months after i left ($3000.00/month benefits for myself). 3 months later I became a Terminal ramp maintenance tech($30/hr with full benefits and pension). I got layed off for 8 months then found my final and current position as a Transit Mechanic for my city at $85k/plus O.T. plus full benefits and pension. and that is and 8 1/2 work day. All this since 2005. I was a full time supervisor at UPS and I decided to leave due to poor pay to hours worked ratio and family obligations. It is possible to leave but there is sacrifice. Good luck to you.
PS
By the way, I told another FT sup I was quitting that day and he was surprised. Low and behold he quit 2 months later and found another management position with another company and was very happy.
PPS
I always hated peak season. As a upser, you will never enjoy Christmas again. Family is more important.

Last edited:

wayfair

swollen member
As a upser, you will never enjoy Christmas again. Family is more important.

Was talking with my Mother the other day when she asked what I was doing for Christmas... I told her "since I've been with the company for so long, my perspective has changed"

Last night, I got in with another driver and the center manager asked him if he had taken his meal break... he said no because he had a Christmas program at his child's school... center manager instructed him to take his 1 hour meal... and so he missed the Christmas program...

tardus

Bernadette: if you are not happy with UPS, you might consider sticking with UPS while you apply for other jobs. For some reason, it is a lot easier to get hired when you already have a job. If you quit UPS before you find another job, in this economy you might be unemployed for a while.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bernadette: if you are not happy with UPS, you might consider sticking with UPS while you apply for other jobs. For some reason, it is a lot easier to get hired when you already have a job. If you quit UPS before you find another job, in this economy you might be unemployed for a while.

On the flip side, a potential employer may view the fact that you are looking for a job when you already have a job as a potential red flag.

jbird669

As a single woman with 2 kids........you should be able to live off govt. hand-outs nicely. Minority.....even sweeter.

Ugh. This is why the country is in the dire straits its in and no one cares. Because of statements like this. When ****e hits the fan (and it will, believe me. Sooner rather than later too), it will be in large part because of apathy and attitudes like this.

W

want to retire

Ugh. This is why the country is in the dire straits its in and no one cares. Because of statements like this. When ****e hits the fan (and it will, believe me. Sooner rather than later too), it will be in large part because of apathy and attitudes like this.

Context?............................I was pretty hard on the woman...............and it's my fault? Apathy? I work my butt off and pay lots of taxes. I vote. I do care. Just not a whole lot for someone waiting for a hand-out, give-away or "not being satisfied" . Want to see why communities are in dire straits?..........look into the unwed mother statistics.......let's start there....

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Not a fan of sarcasm?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The Six Keys To Leaving UPS:

Step 1: Announce "I'm leaving UPS."
Step 2: Stop your boss and notify him/her your decision.
Step 3: Test your timing -- quit now and you'll relinquish your 2013 vacations.
Step 4: Serve your two weeks, then clear the jam that is UPS.
Step 5: Announce "I'm free from UPS."
Step 6: Re-start your career in your chosen field.

Please have these steps memorized & be able to RECITE and DEMONSTRATE them no later than Tuesday morning. On your own time, of course.

Alternatively:
The Eight Keys to Becoming A Supervisor:

Step 1: Get close - to your boss.
Step 2: Position feet.
Step 3: Bend at the knees.

W

want to retire

The Six Keys To Leaving UPS:

Step 1: Announce "I'm leaving UPS."
Step 2: Stop your boss and notify him/her your decision.
Step 3: Test your timing -- quit now and you'll relinquish your 2013 vacations.
Step 4: Serve your two weeks, then clear the jam that is UPS.
Step 5: Announce "I'm free from UPS."
Step 6: Re-start your career in your chosen field.

Please have these steps memorized & be able to RECITE and DEMONSTRATE them no later than Tuesday morning. On your own time, of course.

Alternatively:
The Eight Keys to Becoming A Supervisor:

Step 1: Get close - to your boss.
Step 2: Position feet.
Step 3: Bend at the knees.

Step 4: Variation: get on knees.

downtime8763

I started in 1974pt and 1978 ft and even then I didn't think it could get any worse but it always did. However i found that if I DID my job and let the management play with THEIR numbers not mine I was fine. The company has changed a lot but if it didn't it might not be there as we know it. That is a decision you nave to make,others told me I was a fool to go full time in 78 but I'm retired and most of them are not.Good luck on your decision as it will effect your future.

Rico

I drove for 9 years in New Hampshire, and after about 4 years realized that it wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my working days. I let UPS pay for me to get a second degree, and left for a white collar job after about a year of job searching after I completed the degree. No one I interviewed with viewed my looking for a job while I already had one as a red flag.

Last edited: