Hurt Last Night

Some states require the first person to come up on the scene of an accident to stop and render aid. In most cases (as I understand it) liability is limited when doing so for the JQ Citizen. However trained medical people carry a much heavier liability (one reason malpractice insurance is so high), but they are required by law to stop and render aid, even if not the first on the scene.

Dilli, I pray that your friend recovers fully.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
No prob trp

quick story

When I was part time suping my boxline 9 years ago. One of my preloaders passed out inside the package car while loading it. I was doing my usual walk arounds and wondered where the hell he was.
He came to when I found him in the car. He was completly oblivious to anything that happened. He was in a fog. I called the preload manager over the cb and had him call 911 and get an ambulance. I then told the guy not to move and just to lay there until the ambulance arrived. I then went and got him some water and the ambulance arrived in 5 minutes.

Now if I had moved him from the truck, I could have gotten myself in trouble. If I had made him stand up, I could have gotten myself into trouble. I didnt really use any first aid but just common sense. Common sense is not taught to us when we went to management school. Some people have it some dont. The same goes with first aid. Some people have taken classes, like myself. That doesnt mean I would put a flashlight to his eyes and see if his pupils are dilated:wink2:

Danny's point is well based. If I had done things differently I could have made his situation much worse.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Common sense is not taught to us when we went to management school.

hehehe, what a statement. so many ways to run with it.

good to see the common sense was not washed away during the school. for too many, what little they had gets gone.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Both points are well based and common sense has everything to do with it. Not everyone has the capacity or ability to practice common sense. Hell, AZ had to enact a stupid motorist law (btw-that's exactly what's it's called, too). When it rains here, it floods. Common sense would tell most people to not cross a flooded wash, but we have rescues (and deaths) every year because people are stupid. Now these people have to pay for their own rescues.

Anyway, I get scratches and bruises nearly every single day. For the most part I don't report them. It's not necessary. Common sense tells me when an injury is serious and needs to be reported. An ankle sprain, should be reported. More than likely it will heel with little residual effect, though that is not a given and should be evaluated by a professional.

TRPL, thank you. Everyday is one day closer to being heeled. He is getting better every day. The news yesterday, the doctors are starting to bring him out of his coma. It was induced to keep him from moving around to much. They removed the drain tubes from his head and the swelling is gone. He is reacting to light stimuli. The part of the brain that took most of the impact is the part that affects speech and until he is fully conscious we won't know how much damaged he suffered.
We have been trying to figure out what happened. He is an experienced rider, and the scene doesn't make any sense. He didn't hit anything. If it had been a deer, there probably would have been hair imbedded in the shattered windshield. There wasn't any. There was hardly any other damage to the bike. I don't know!!!!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
dill

my wifes cousin's husband was going to work early. he was on his bike, many years of experience. had it not been for the guy in the car behind him, there would never have been any clue as to the dog that ran out in front of him, causing him to loose control and hit the guardrail.

he was 52.

it happens.

d

writer

Preoad Supervisor
Seems to me trying to cover for numbers is common and someone needs to speak up. We had a shoulder dislocation here last week by a supe falling off the egress and they wanted him to sit and see if the pain would go away and was told he may just want to go see his own doctor. No one knew at the time it was a dislocation.

first off, the sup that told you to work it off, screwed up. trying to cover up an injury to make the numbers look good.

secondly, your insurance would not cover you on a work related injury, it is workers comp. anything else would be insurance fraud.

thirdly evil gave you good advice, call the center, report the injury, and then either go to the designated healthcare facility. or the er if the pain is that bad.

so dont waste anymore time posting here, get on the phone and report the injury, fill out the report, and include the "walking it off or sit down a minute" spiel. you need to cover your bottom.

d

gandydancer

... The same goes with first aid. Some people have taken classes, like myself. That doesnt mean I would put a flashlight to his eyes and see if his pupils are dilated:wink2:

Danny's point is well based. If I had done things differently I could have made his situation much worse.

Last week we had a guy loading the lowest box in the boxline and he didn't get his head out of the middle cage before it whacked him right in the middle of his forehead. Broke the skin, raised a bump, not much blood though. That I saw, anyway, by the time he got to the Safety office. He was reporting dizziness, so, yes, indeed the pt Safety sup looks at his pupils and says they look ok and has him hang around a couple hours until the end of the shift when his ride can drive him home. No report filed. Not as bad as the woman who got spot remover in her eyes last month and was allowed to drive herself home after the shift -- took her to the eyewash (not the closest one) but no report filed until she showed up the next day complaining of eye and skin irriitation. Still not a DART injury since the doctor released her for work...

drewed

Shankman
See those I wouldnt do, theres a difference in head/eye injuries and a probably bruised ankle, if the employee said they wanted to go to the dr and fill out a report but we work in a warehouse moving heavy objects so we re going to come across bumps, bruises and scatches that are honestly injuries but if we reported every single paper cut we'd all be out of business because our insurance premiums would kill us

gandydancer

...we're going to come across bumps, bruises and scatches that are honestly injuries but if we reported every single paper cut we'd all be out of business because our insurance premiums would kill us

Worker's Comp rates you on number of injuries and not cost? I would think its claims that drive rates, not reporting, but the supes are hell-bent to talk folks out of reporting anything that happens. On the other hand... we have a pt supe that has a probable hairline fracture in his hand or wrist from striking an irreg cart several months ago. It's not getting better, but the shift manager talked him out of reporting it at the time. Guess that saved some money, at least for awhile... and the manager's DART for the year is 5 rather than 6.

drewed

Shankman
Well I would figure it would be both, if you having an info only injury once a week it shows things arent being followed and the workspace isnt safe, just as much as a lost time injury once every couple months