husband terminated...advice please.

GameCockFan

100% go to the panel. If you can't show up it's going to make you look bad. It's much easier to fire a faceless person than tell a guy he's gone for a small offense. You may or may not be there for the entire 3 days. Your BA should be able to tell you when your scheduled on the docket. Stay at a motel 6 if you have to. 3 days there wouldn't be more than $150. Take a deal with no backpay. They will probably settle before the actual panel hearing, especially if there are some difficult or time consuming cases to be heard. The hearing can be postponed and you may have to go to another panel at a later date. They did this to me, postponed the hearing twice and I was out for close to four months. I'd say it's 80/20 for him to return, unless there is another reason they want to get rid of him.

They won't tell you the outcome if it actually goes to a hearing. They will mail you the result. My BA let me know after the hearing that I was ok, without actually saying it. Throwing yourself at the mercy of the panel is the way to go, but you must be there. They have probably decided your fate already but want to scare you to keep you in line when you get back and also to frighten other drivers in the center. They use fear as motivation. I hope everything works out for you.

onestoptogo

I recently had a cover driver sheet packages as NI 1 after 5pm for a business instead of missed on my route. He is new driver and I took him aside to let him know what he was doing could get him fired for dishonesty. He thought he might get in trouble for having missed packages. I told him that may be true, but he would still have his job the next day. Always sheet packages accurately. Young drivers sometimes get caught up in trying to look good and don't think of consequences of falsely sheeting a package. Fortunately, he was not caught this time.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I was being nice. I think it's BS because someone different could do the same thing the very next day and never hear a word about it. We're like criminals, the unions our lawyers and management is the feds.
The methods are not full-proof and all encompassing.
They are an outline of valid suggestions.
Anybody who thinks that anyone can perform completely within 340+ perimeters, for 8-12 hours on a given day, is disillusion.
This job has far too many variables to expect this from any driver.
We, as a union, have to protect this notion.

clean hairy

In the meantime, he can do delivery for a Florist during the day, and dleiver Pizzas in his area at night. If he delivers in his regular delivery area, NOT ONE WORD about why they don't see him during the day.
If he can run routes blind, then deliver in an area other than his own.
He will run circles around the other delivery drivers and make $$ as well.
There are $$ to be made, just encourage him to do it!

JL 0513

I recently had a cover driver sheet packages as NI 1 after 5pm for a business instead of missed on my route. He is new driver and I took him aside to let him know what he was doing could get him fired for dishonesty. He thought he might get in trouble for having missed packages. I told him that may be true, but he would still have his job the next day. Always sheet packages accurately. Young drivers sometimes get caught up in trying to look good and don't think of consequences of falsely sheeting a package. Fortunately, he was not caught this time.

That's one of the sucky parts of covering, especially unfamiliar routes. If you follow Orion AS INSTRUCTED, you WILL have missed business(es). We all know that on most routes businesses are set up at the end of the day in Orion. This is often the case in regular EDD too. THe bid driver is aware of what the businesses are, the cover guy not so much. This is because under details, many business stops just have a persons name and no business name.

So now you have a missed and your in the center manager's office the next morning. Can't win. I've been messaged in the past to re-sheet a missed as NI1 res by a sup because "we can't have a missed". I was told during my first 30 days to DR to "woman" to a business because he noticed I still had a business saver after 3. I was once told to bring it in with 8 stops left because the sup wanted to go home. He sheeted the 8 stops NI1 when I got to the building. This company is really something.

Boulevard859710

That's the thing. I've seen so many dishonest acts performed by this company. Hundreds of Missing/Illegible label put on misloaded packages as well as being told to sheet misloaded businesses closed. Kind of hypocritical if you ask me.

Boulevard859710

One more thing: They'll sometimes ask you why you did this, why you did that? A lot of times it's because that's what you were told to do in DIAD training and they'll try to still reprimand you for that.

Loyal Teamster

My husband has been with ups for three years now and is/was a temporary cover driver. He was recently discharged for dishonesty. He sheeted up packages while waiting at his letter box rather than at the actual address when no one was home to send back dish network boxes. He knows what he did was wrong, and only defense was that he was trying to save some time. He has no previous disciplinary actions against him.

He went to the local hearing and admitted he did wrong and was trying to save time. Apologized, etc. Now it is going to a regional panel. Any advice or enlightenment for us?

We have two year old twins and it's taken a pretty big toll on our savings to pay bills while he's been out of work, plus the expenses for traveling to the hearing. Hoping he won't be going for nothing.
My sincere regrets for what happen to you husband and the toll on your family. I recommend he goes to the panel.
He must also start planning for the worst case scenario. I recommend he starts applying to USPS & FedEx. In case he doesn't get his job back, at least the application process would be started.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

We Love Logistics

bbsam

Staff member
He's not asking for back pay, not putting the blame on anyone other than himself....he's basically going in with the idea of asking for mercy and being eternally grateful if he gets it.

Like I said, he knows and admits he did wrong.

The pay is obviously a sad thing missing, but the insurance is another huge thing (like I said, two little ones).
Most states have a program that gets kids coverage. Might want to look into that immediately for a temporary band aid. I know for myself with three kids insurance is a "must have" just to be able to sleep at night.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
It sounds like he had a target on his back and they were waiting for a minor transgression to pounce. "Dishonesty" is one of their catch all to nail people. They make this job so complicated and put on so much pressure to perform at times your tempted to take a short cut. If you have a target on you for whatever reason, this just gives them just cause to fire you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Drive up. Sleep in a campground. Take a shower, go to the hearing. He is a driver. A 7 hour drive shouldn't be too far for him.

It's not the 7 hour drive that concerns me. I just drove 6 hours to spend the weekend with my son. I slept on his couch. When you have someone saying that they are already having to use their savings to pay their bills it makes little sense to spend the $400-500 for the trip when the BA told him that he really doesn't have to be there.

I would still see if the OP could submit a notarized statement rather than attend the hearing.

It's not the 7 hour drive that concerns me. I just drove 6 hours to spend the weekend with my son. I slept on his couch. When you have someone saying that they are already having to use their savings to pay their bills it makes little sense to spend the $400-500 for the trip when the BA told him that he really doesn't have to be there.

I would still see if the OP could submit a notarized statement rather than attend the hearing.
Would you stake your job on a piece of paper? Or would you want to show up and defend yourself?