I’m 21 just got called to feeders any tips?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Depends on what they told you usually when you’re given a position they tell you if you’re seasonal or if you’re permanent.

If he is seasonal, he should have signed paperwork and acknowledged that was the position.

I've seen the company forget, then try to come back after the fact to have them sign.

Nope.... they are permanent now.

Thebrownblob

If he is seasonal, he should have signed paperwork and acknowledged that was the position.

I've seen the company forget, then try to come back after the fact to have them sign.

Nope.... they are permanent now.
Absolutely, I’ve gotten people on full-time permanent that way.

The problem comes in when people sign things without reading, it which happens quite a bit they don’t even realize what they signed they just assume if the company tells them to sign it it must be beneficial to them.

CHEMA-DELMA

Good luck to you I was a package driver @ 30 years old went to ask Feeder manager when I could bid in. At that time the lease senior guy had 25 years, I had my class A at the time and took the tie. when the CDL mandate came out most of the older guys got scared and retired. They would have forced me in in the mid 1990's. I do not regret it spent most of my career in all aspects of Feeder, can't complain now been retired since 2017.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
What type of time do u have with family I’m considering making the switch next time a list goes up in my center?
That is probably one of the negatives with feeder. I worked mostly nights ( retired now ).
So slept during day. Was able to have late dinners with family. Weekends, vacations, holidays were make up time with the kids. Fortunately with UPS you get a lot of those.

When i first started was on the relief list so was working all kinds of weird hours. Sometimes days, sometimes nights. Sometimes on call.It is challenging to make this work with family. The trade off is great medical benefits and great pay.

We have a son that had some challenging health problems. Benefits for him were in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
That alone was worth it.

good luck.

edit. don't worry about the weight issue. half our feeder drivers were fat, half were fit who made the time for workouts at the gym.
I would hike during my breaks and lunch or park the rig at the high school to swim laps during my hour .They had public lap swimming hours

Last edited:

HFolb23

I already have my CDl
I’m sure each trainer/hub is different, but here your training experience is going to vary significantly based on your skill level.

I had my CDL before I left package and went to feeder too. I spent like 1 morning practicing in the yard before my trainer was confident that I could actually drive and then we spent the rest of the “non-production” week doing the training videos and paperwork in the morning and then doing mostly CPU jobs after lunch. I wound up getting paid for both weeks because I was moving actual loads with my trainer, and the bonus was that I got to see a ton of CPU locations ahead of time and was familiar with them before I was out on my own.

Same for the second “productive” week, after the first night the second trainer would fall asleep for most of the drive and wake up when we got there. He said he wouldn’t have been sleeping if he was worried about my driving.

On the flip side, I’ve since seen new people spend all week in the yard because they just suck at backing up. I’ve seen people rotate through several on-road sups hoping that one of them could break through to the trainee. Hell, one guy even had two on roads out there trying to help him. Some of them didn’t even make it to the production week.

Once you’re through training just don’t do anything stupid, don’t hit anything, do your pre and post trips, and get your loads there on time and you won’t have any issues qualifying.