I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

vantexan

yes and some slaves thought they were free. doesnt mean they were.

no i am saying we can do ALOT better. first step is believing we can which alot of religious people ironically dont.

how old should people have to worry about having to "hustle" to get by?

my point is that with capitalism someone is very rich, because very many people are very poor (in more than 1 way).

in the interview the undercover amazon worker describes working there like being at war.
I watched a little over half the video. They've twisted the camperforce into something dark and foreboding. They go on about how it's so sad these elderly folk are living in RV's. They literally have no idea what they're talking about. Living in a RV for most RVers is a lifestyle choice they gladly choose. They have the freedom to move about and see the country. They can park at Wal-Mart overnight and the next day be camping at a beautiful spot on federal land. They can follow the seasons, staying in the Rockies in the summer, in south Texas or Baja California in the winter, and so many places in between. Many have a decent enough income to get by without working, others work at Amazon, the sugar beet harvest and elsewhere so that they can maintain this lifestyle, and some take jobs like Amazon just to have something to do. But these anti-capitalism types twist it into hobo camps like in the Great Depression for people who too hate capitalism and aren't familiar with the RV lifestyle. They're the ones locked into the mindset that you must live in a traditional home and if you don't have what the rich guy has then the system is unfair and unjust. Meanwhile the RVers are doing things like meet-ups at Quartzite where for a few months every winter as many as a quarter million RVers turn a spot in the road into one of AZ's biggest cities with tons of free entertainment. You don't know what's going on out there but want to turn it into something sad and pathetic because you're locked into a certain mindset.

rickyb

I watched a little over half the video. They've twisted the camperforce into something dark and foreboding. They go on about how it's so sad these elderly folk are living in RV's. They literally have no idea what they're talking about. Living in a RV for most RVers is a lifestyle choice they gladly choose. They have the freedom to move about and see the country. They can park at Wal-Mart overnight and the next day be camping at a beautiful spot on federal land. They can follow the seasons, staying in the Rockies in the summer, in south Texas or Baja California in the winter, and so many places in between. Many have a decent enough income to get by without working, others work at Amazon, the sugar beet harvest and elsewhere so that they can maintain this lifestyle, and some take jobs like Amazon just to have something to do. But these anti-capitalism types twist it into hobo camps like in the Great Depression for people who too hate capitalism and aren't familiar with the RV lifestyle. They're the ones locked into the mindset that you must live in a traditional home and if you don't have what the rich guy has then the system is unfair and unjust. Meanwhile the RVers are doing things like meet-ups at Quartzite where for a few months every winter as many as a quarter million RVers turn a spot in the road into one of AZ's biggest cities with tons of free entertainment. You don't know what's going on out there but want to turn it into something sad and pathetic because you're locked into a certain mindset.
or theyre living in RVs because they had to not because they wanted to which is what they are talking about.

ill post some stuff about retirement in america so you can get an idea what its like for the average joe.

all of this sounds pretty twisted especially for old people:

amazon preys on hiring old people. they work 10 hour days. they walk 13 miles a shift. it damages their bodies.

in some warehouses, the temperature reached 110 degrees and amazon was too greedy to turn on a/c or open the doors. ambulances would wait outside for when workers passed out. some of the workers died months after.

amazon gives out painkillers. it uses jedi mind tricks like positive psychology and customer service to maximize its greed.

the workers make at best $11,000 before they are laid off.

vantexan

or theyre living in RVs because they had to not because they wanted to which is what they are talking about.

all of this sounds pretty twisted especially for old people:

amazon preys on hiring old people. they work 10 hour days. they walk 13 miles a shift. it damages their bodies.

in some warehouses, the temperature reached 110 degrees and amazon was too greedy to turn on a/c or open the doors. ambulances would wait outside for when workers passed out. some of the workers died months after.

amazon gives out painkillers. it uses jedi mind tricks like positive psychology and customer service to maximize its greed.

Some might walk a bit but 13 miles is an exaggeration. The old folks aren't working in super hot buildings because Peak is at Christmas time. RV.net is the biggest RV forum on the net. Comprised of over a million RVers, many of whom are fulltimers, and all very enthusiastic. There are many Facebook groups about this too including many about living on a budget, vandwelling, nomadism, living in a car, all by people who appear very happy about it. My personal favorite is living in a Prius. There's a great group on that. You're saying lemons, they're saying lemonade. Educate yourself and stop being so glum, it'll do you good.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Some might walk a bit but 13 miles is an exaggeration. The old folks aren't working in super hot buildings because Peak is at Christmas time. RV.net is the biggest RV forum on the net. Comprised of over a million RVers, many of whom are fulltimers, and all very enthusiastic. There are many Facebook groups about this too including many about living on a budget, vandwelling, nomadism, living in a car, all by people who appear very happy about it. My personal favorite is living in a Prius. There's a great group on that. You're saying lemons, they're saying lemonade. Educate yourself and stop being so glum, it'll do you good.
Give it up Van. He LOVES being Mr. Doom and Gloom. It’s what he does best.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
things are pretty doomy and gloomy though. 1 sign of this is you elected donald trump. another would be the mass shootings. another would be the financial crisis. theres signs everywhere.
this is how capitalism works
8MKrJe3.gif

rickyb

ill post some stuff about retirement in america so you get a better idea.

vantexan

ill post some stuff about retirement in america so you get a better idea.
Pretty familiar with it. It's why next week I'm moving to a place where my money goes more than twice as far while still comfortable. When I save enough money am going to buy an older Prius to travel around the States in. Or stay overseas. I can still live better over there on less than what living in a car or van would cost me here. And with internet still be connected. You do realize that there's never going to be a situation where everyone can have a comfortable retirement here? It literally comes down to what a person did for decades to prepare for it and too many don't prepare. Thank goodness for Social Security.

yes and some slaves thought they were free. doesnt mean they were.

no i am saying we can do ALOT better. first step is believing we can which alot of religious people ironically dont.

how old should people have to worry about having to "hustle" to get by?

my point is that with capitalism someone is very rich, because very many people are very poor (in more than 1 way).

in the interview the undercover amazon worker describes working there like being at war.
The problem is, that you will make a higher percentage of the population poorer than better off. I cannot live on 40% of my earnings for more than 6 months. That is, in fact, how your system will affect me. Then I will be looking for work when I am old. At least until I die.

in this episode, chris hedges interviews a professor from columbia journalism who went undercover at UPS competitor amazon warehouse during peak

but dont worry; all of this is justified: the workers democratically voted for these conditions. its not like they were taking orders or anything.

jeff bezos is the richest man on earth. it has nothing to do with his workers being poor.
I have been in many amazon warehouses and have never seen what she describes. I always think. For $15 an hour, I could do this when I retire.

rickyb

The problem is, that you will make a higher percentage of the population poorer than better off. I cannot live on 40% of my earnings for more than 6 months. That is, in fact, how your system will affect me. Then I will be looking for work when I am old. At least until I die.
the current system distributes money from the many to the few.

my system would stop that from happening.

rickyb

I have been in many amazon warehouses and have never seen what she describes. I always think. For $15 an hour, I could do this when I retire.
amazon warehouses are notorious. i heard about undercover workers there years ago. one of my coworkers used to work in one, ill ask him, im pretty sure he called the government about it.

i worked in a warehouse for a month or 2 a while ago. worst job i ever had.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
amazon warehouses are notorious. i heard about undercover workers there years ago. one of my coworkers used to work in one, ill ask him, im pretty sure he called the government about it.

i worked in a warehouse for a month or 2 a while ago. worst job i ever had.
bth_Seagull_steals_chips.gif
capitalism

BrownArmy

So much nonsense.

Yes, install as many robots as possible, but make them more like C3-P0 and R2-D2.

Install UBI, get people off drugs, come together as a global community, blah, blah.

Instantiate the '7th generation' principle, i.e., whatever decisions we make now, we should take into consideration how those decisions will effect the seventh generation after us.

We obviously need to start plans for leaving the planet, this one won't last, and it's dying.

There is no way we're getting off-planet when we're picking sides among nation-states in terms of capital, and arguing about stupid crap like abortion and religion.

OMG, who cares?

MANIFEST DESTINY y'all, we can't get to the next galaxy (yet), but we can and should populate our own solar system.

Imagine it: Trump Hotel, orbiting Jupiter, the view is killer.

Honestly, this is why we've never been visited by aliens - they died on their own planet fighting about abstract concepts, just like we're doing.

(Although I'm game for an alien invasion - nothing would solidify our geopolitical common relationships than bugs from space that want to eat our brains...)

BrownArmy

Laleh Khalili‏ @LalehKhalili Jan 24

For the bottom headline to be true, the top two need to also be true. His wealth is entirely dependent on the penury of his workers:

This is the 'nonsense' I'm talking about.

You're describing the inevitable end-game of capitalism.

You're shocked, somehow.

I'm saying we need to get together as a species and decide our fate.

It's time to seriously think about getting off the planet.

Yes, Ricky-Bobby, inequality will follow us into the stars (Mars Vs. Earth Vs. Luna Vs. Citizens born in space Vs. planet-born Citizens, 'asteroid belters' Vs. 'Earthers'...)

Or we just die right here, soon, in a nuke-strike, or 1000 years from now, in ice or fire or mud or chemicals or radiation.

Use Luna as a launch-base, and propagate the solar system.

We could probably do it, but we're arguing about climate change and politics.

vantexan

So much nonsense.

Yes, install as many robots as possible, but make them more like C3-P0 and R2-D2.

Install UBI, get people off drugs, come together as a global community, blah, blah.

Instantiate the '7th generation' principle, i.e., whatever decisions we make now, we should take into consideration how those decisions will effect the seventh generation after us.

We obviously need to start plans for leaving the planet, this one won't last, and it's dying.

There is no way we're getting off-planet when we're picking sides among nation-states in terms of capital, and arguing about stupid crap like abortion and religion.

OMG, who cares?

MANIFEST DESTINY y'all, we can't get to the next galaxy (yet), but we can and should populate our own solar system.

Imagine it: Trump Hotel, orbiting Jupiter, the view is killer.

Honestly, this is why we've never been visited by aliens - they died on their own planet fighting about abstract concepts, just like we're doing.

(Although I'm game for an alien invasion - nothing would solidify our geopolitical common relationships than bugs from space that want to eat our brains...)
Nah, they burned fossil fuels until the heat killed them off. There is no getting off this planet and live anything like we live here. Seen "The Martian?" If that's an accurate portrayal of what it takes to live on Mars then how is that possibly better than dealing with rising temps here?

rickyb

This is the 'nonsense' I'm talking about.

You're describing the inevitable end-game of capitalism.

You're shocked, somehow.

I'm saying we need to get together as a species and decide our fate.

It's time to seriously think about getting off the planet.

Yes, Ricky-Bobby, inequality will follow us into the stars (Mars Vs. Earth Vs. Luna Vs. Citizens born in space Vs. planet-born Citizens, 'asteroid belters' Vs. 'Earthers'...)

Or we just die right here, soon, in a nuke-strike, or 1000 years from now, in ice or fire or mud or chemicals or radiation.

Use Luna as a launch-base, and propagate the solar system.

We could probably do it, but we're arguing about climate change and politics.
surely you cant be serious!