I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

our system is run by people who say and promote absurdities.
for example:
-we end terrorism by doing terrorism
-they believe in global warming but do nothing to stop it
-were against animal abuse but are in favor of animal agriculture
-we treat the federal govt budget as if its a household budget

orwell illustrated this in 1984. war is peace. freedom is slavery.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
our system is run by people who say and promote absurdities.
for example:
-we end terrorism by doing terrorism
-they believe in global warming but do nothing to stop it
-were against animal abuse but are in favor of animal agriculture
-we treat the federal govt budget as if its a household budget

orwell illustrated this in 1984. war is peace. freedom is slavery.
Who's system? Yours or mine?

rickyb

1598030620518.png

1598030643751.png

rickyb

the economic structures, even before the pandemic, were reconfigured to mock faith in a meritocracy and the belief that hard work leads to a productive and valued role in society. American productivity, as The New York Times pointed out, has increased 77 percent since 1973 but hourly pay has grown only 12 percent. If the federal minimum wage was attached to productivity, the newspaper wrote, it would be more than $20 an hour now, not $7.25.

Some 41.7 million workers, a third of the workforce, earn less than $12 an hour, and most of them do not have access to employer-sponsored health insurance.

A decade after the 2008 financial meltdown, the Times wrote, the average middle class family’s net worth is more than $40,000 below what it was in 2007. The net worth of black families is down 40 percent, and for Latino families the figure has dropped 46 percent.

Some four million evictions are filed each year. One in four tenant households spends about half its pretax income on rent. Each night some 200,000 people sleep in their cars, on streets or under bridges. And these stark figures represent the good times Biden and the Democratic Party leaders promise to restore. Now, with real unemployment probably close to 20 percent — the official figure of 10 percent excludes those furloughed or those who have stopped looking for work — some 40 million people are at risk of being evicted by the end of the year. An estimated 27 million people are expected to lose their health insurance. Banks are stockpiling reserves of cash to cope with the expected wave of bankruptcies and defaults on mortgages, student loans, car loans, personal loans and credit card debt. The ruleless-ness and anomie that defines the lives of tens of millions of Americans was orchestrated by the two ruling parties in the service of a corporate oligarchy. If we do not address this anomie, if we do not restore the social bonds shattered by predatory corporate capitalism, the decay will accelerate.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
@zubenelgenubi you talked about jordan peterson and that reminded me of this interview where a famous canadian pro capitalist anti government guy interviews noam chomsky:

Yeah, I was watching Stefan for a while. He makes some good points, particularly about institutions and governments being simply words that describe relationships between people. But it seemed at some point that he went off the rails a bit. And there is a difference between being anti-government and anti-big government. I'll watch it when I get some time.

rickyb

Yeah, I was watching Stefan for a while. He makes some good points, particularly about institutions and governments being simply words that describe relationships between people. But it seemed at some point that he went off the rails a bit. And there is a difference between being anti-government and anti-big government. I'll watch it when I get some time.
stefan probably has some good points and probably alot of bad ones too.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Anarchy can't last very long, precisely because we are individuals who lack the capacity to integrate enough with those around us for collectivism to ever be what you want it to be. Without centralized decision making (leadership) a collective will be unable to organize, chaos ensues, and a despot steps up and fills the power vacuum. You go almost immediately from anarchy to totalitarianism.

You might as well be saying you want unicorns and pots of gold at the end of the rainbow for everyone. You are buying a bogus bill of goods, being sold to you by a bunch of people you trust, who know better, and are taking advantage of your naivete. The fact that you say people like Milton Friedman are frauds or idiots makes it clear that someone has warped your view of reality.

rickyb

Anarchy can't last very long, precisely because we are individuals who lack the capacity to integrate enough with those around us for collectivism to ever be what you want it to be. Without centralized decision making (leadership) a collective will be unable to organize, chaos ensues, and a despot steps up and fills the power vacuum. You go almost immediately from anarchy to totalitarianism.

You might as well be saying you want unicorns and pots of gold at the end of the rainbow for everyone. You are buying a bogus bill of goods, being sold to you by a bunch of people you trust, who know better, and are taking advantage of your naivete. The fact that you say people like Milton Friedman are frauds or idiots makes it clear that someone has warped your view of reality.
theres a real good chance milton was promoted because he said and did absurd things. ill post some quotes on here about him from guys i respect.

how do you suggest we have leadership?

i dont think anarchism is bogus at all, power is a major problem and its overlooked by design probably to perpetuate it.