I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

Because people think everyone else’s politician is corrupt but theirs is a good guy.
ive seen possible good politicians turn corrupt like the squad. problem is putting ones faith in a politician in the first place. politics is a game of fear; they try and make us afraid, and its our job to make them even more afraid.

Off the leash

ive seen possible good politicians turn corrupt like the squad. problem is putting ones faith in a politician in the first place. politics is a game of fear; they try and make us afraid, and its our job to make them even more afraid.
In the end they’re only concerned with getting re-elected

Off the leash

6429E8E1-A8BD-4562-BBD1-07CDC8A7ADC9.jpeg

rickyb

id like to thank teh free market for not giving sound information on refridgerators.

if govt regulated manufacturers to disclose info then i could make a more informed decision.

rickyb

CH: Well, you have a quote in the book, I don’t know where it is, but it’s from a military recruiter where they target people who have heavy student debt quite consciously.

TG: Yeah, and it, you know, it comes down to what does it mean to genuinely be free if all of our choices are determined by a form of economic coercion, whether it’s at the workplace or in our daily lives? Can we genuinely say that we have any meaningful freedom? So I think, not just being free from debt, but having liberating wages is--and having some kind of democracy in the workplace is key to any, like, genuine, meaningful sense of freedom.

CH: The New York Times ran a piece a couple months--a few months ago where they talk precisely about the stagnation of wages, and said that if wages have been tied to productivity, which since the 1970s had--has gone up by about 77%, if I remember, the minimum wage would be at least $20 an hour. But wages, of course, have been suppressed. This is also an issue you address in the book by design, because the financialization of the economy with offshoring and deindustrialization has been the key mechanism by which large financial firms and banks are able to amass these profits. And just speak about that before we go into the nature of resistance.

TG: Yeah. Part of what we really want to punch holes in and dispel is the idea that if you’re in debt, it’s because of your personal moral failings, that you didn’t work hard enough or you made poor choices. Granted there are some people who do make poor choices, but the vast majority of us are forced into debt because we’re denied the means to live, not because we live beyond our means. Since World War II, wages have stagnated, even though for a whole host of reasons. The wealth that we’re producing has increased rapidly, but that wealth has been captured by the one percent. And instead of paying us for our labor, we’re forced to go into debt to meet our basic needs, because even though our wages have remained stagnant, the cost of our basic needs like health care, housing and education, have gone up and up and up and up. So, you know, buying a large flat screen TV, the price has gone down significantly. But if you need to see a doctor, the price has gone up quite a bit.

CH: Well, you have--this is from the book, more than 40% of indebted households use credit cards to cover basic living costs including rent, food, and utilities, some 62% of personal bankruptcies, as I mentioned in the opening, are due to. So what you created is a system by where in order to survive subsistence level, meeting your most basic needs, requires you to go into debt for the majority of American households.

rickyb

Dan Price

@DanPriceSeattle
·
8h

If you think it's oppressive for corporations to require vaccines, wait 'til you hear about unpaid internships, mandated overtime, unpaid sick days, raiding of retirement funds, non-compete agreements for fast-food workers, everything Amazon does, at-will employment agreements,

rickyb

Kim Dotcom

@KimDotcom
·
Jul 28

A wake up thread: Economists warn about a looming global economic depression Human rights groups warn about increasing levels of abuse Free speech groups warn about massive censorship Scientists warn about our planet dying The doomsday clock is closer than ever to the end