I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

The Future of Work – Ralph Nader Radio Hour

"Trebor Scholz is a scholar-activist and Associate Professor for Culture & Media at The New School in New York City and is an expert in the new digital labor economy. His books Uber-Worked and Underpaid. How Workers Are Disrupting the Digital Economy and Ours to Hack and to Own introduce the concept of platform cooperativism, a more humane workplace, which takes the worker-owned cooperative idea to the app store."

when the transcript is released ill copy some interesting parts.

rickyb

nader-150.jpg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Apple's cash hoard swells to record $246.09 billion

Apple's enormous cash hoard grew to $246.09 billion in the fiscal fourth quarter, up $8.49 billion from the previous quarter.

That figure is larger than Sri Lanka's estimated 2016 gross domestic product, but smaller than Denmark's, according to the CIA World Factbook.

The company's cash reserves have long fueled speculation of acquisitions that Apple might make. Apple keeps most of its cash outside the U.S. for tax reasons, but President Trump and the Republican-controlled Congress are expected to change rules on repatriation of cash stored overseas, which could make it easier for Apple to spend some of the money on acquisitions without taking a major tax hit.

rickyb

Apple's cash hoard swells to record $246.09 billion

Apple's enormous cash hoard grew to $246.09 billion in the fiscal fourth quarter, up $8.49 billion from the previous quarter.

That figure is larger than Sri Lanka's estimated 2016 gross domestic product, but smaller than Denmark's, according to the CIA World Factbook.

The company's cash reserves have long fueled speculation of acquisitions that Apple might make. Apple keeps most of its cash outside the U.S. for tax reasons, but President Trump and the Republican-controlled Congress are expected to change rules on repatriation of cash stored overseas, which could make it easier for Apple to spend some of the money on acquisitions without taking a major tax hit.
obama once asked steve jobs what would it take to bring back apple jobs. steve jobs responded "“Those jobs aren’t coming back".

and were supposed to worship this guy.

rickyb

i briefly saw today that trump is deregulating wall street some more. i say good. i hate capitalism; its way too centralized, bosses have too much power, and workers have too little. economic chaos will build support for anti capitalists out there who want worker cooperatives instead of capitalism.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
i briefly saw today that trump is deregulating wall street some more. i say good. i hate capitalism; its way too centralized, bosses have too much power, and workers have too little. economic chaos will build support for anti capitalists out there who want worker cooperatives instead of capitalism.
I agree with the move but if these banks take risks and fail you must let them fail.

It will be fine

I agree with the move but if these banks take risks and fail you must let them fail.
We all saw what happened in 2008 when that started to happen. All the big players are so interconnected that a failure of one will cascade and take down the whole system. They need to be broken up into smaller institutions where the risk of their failure doesn't threaten the entire global economic system.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We all saw what happened in 2008 when that started to happen. All the big players are so interconnected that a failure of one will cascade and take down the whole system. They need to be broken up into smaller institutions where the risk of their failure doesn't threaten the entire global economic system.
That's exactly what should of happened in 2008 is the big banks should of been allowed to go under and their remaining assets divided up amoung many other smaller much more stable banks.

rickyb

It will be fine

That's exactly what should of happened in 2008 is the big banks should of been allowed to go under and their remaining assets divided up amoung many other smaller much more stable banks.
It wasn't feasible to do it then. All the big players have so much interconnected debt the entire worldwide economy would have fully collapsed if they were allowed to fail. Smaller banks would not have been able to handle the debt load a breakup would entail at that time. It should be done now that things have stabilized. Cut them up and have them reorganize internally into smaller institutions.