I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

Study: 92% of ‘Anti-Fascist’ Protesters in Europe Still Live With Their Mom

Study: 92% of ‘Anti-Fascist’ Protesters in Europe Still Live With Their Mom
your on the corporate plantation. it reminds me how some corporations do these phony pep talks to make their workers feel like they are part of a "corporate family".

"There were two kinds of Negroes. There was that old house Negro and the field Negro.

And the house Negro always looked out for his master. When the field Negroes got too much out of line, he held them back in check. He put 'em back on the plantation. The house Negro could afford to do that because he lived better than the field Negro. He ate better, he dressed better, and he lived in a better house. He lived right up next to his master - in the attic or the basement. He ate the same food his master ate and wore his same clothes. And he could talk just like his master - good diction. And he loved his master more than his master loved himself. That's why he didn't want his master hurt. If the master got sick, he'd say, "What's the matter, boss, we sick?" When the master's house caught afire, he'd try and put the fire out. He didn't want his master's house burned. He never wanted his master's property threatened. And he was more defensive of it than the master was." - malcolm x

rickyb

some of my coworkers are european so i get to pick their brains about what its like out there. one of them lived in UK and ireland for 12 years or something. the jobs there have paid lunches. over a life time this works out to roughly $100,000 extra the europeans have that the north americans dont.

rickyb

i was talking to my pops about paid lunches in EU. he said thats not very efficient.

i think workers in north america are very efficiently ripped off by their employers.

rickyb

There is no free lunch. If a company provides it "free" it is in lieu of other compensation.
not all countries have the same standards of living. some countries the citizens are better off economically because they are able to be paid more for their labor. this is an example of that where north americans make less than their EU counterparts.

rickyb

recently at my job ive been doing 6 hour or 6.5 shifts for 2 weeks until one of the managers told me i have to work a little more even though its slow. now im supposed to shoot for 35 hours at the minimum. 6 hours is much better than 8. 8 is really long and eats into your day too much.

Adam McKay ‏@GhostPanther
35m35 minutes ago

America won't let sick people take time off and has a below poverty minimum wage. But we have :censored2:in awesome water parks so suck it Sweden.

Sweden Is Moving To A 6-Hour Work Day

"
This is why Sweden has recently gotten on board with a standard six-hour work day and has begun implementing the change for a year-long experiment to compare the benefits.

Do you really believe that you are fully absorbed and concentrating in your work day for eight hours? Most likely not.

The Left Party deputy mayor of Gothenburg, Sweden, Mats Pilhem, says that he hopes that having six-hour work days will create fewer sick days for staff."

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Sounds good to me, I could work two full-time jobs and still have more time off then I do now.

Seriously though, if I couldn't work a measly 8 hour day I'd just get a part time job and move back into my parent's basement.

rickyb

Sounds good to me, I could work two full-time jobs and still have more time off then I do now.

Seriously though, if I couldn't work a measly 8 hour day I'd just get a part time job and move back into my parent's basement.
the way the capitalist economy is going, everyone will be moving back in their parents basements:

"In retrospect, this is less than surprising in a time when the top tenth of the upper U.S. One Percent owns as much as much wealth as the bottom U.S. 90 percent while half the nation’s population is either poor or near-poor (living at less than half the federal government’s notoriously inadequate poverty level). A shocking 94 percent of the jobs created in the U.S. economy during the Obama years were part-time, contract, and/or temporary positions."

i remember when that stat first came out it was a big deal. i dont see how the fourty hour work week can live. maybe it will be like democracy where they say we have it, but the reality is quite different.

the next things the capitalists will take away is our parents basements, and we will be living on the corporate plantation like the workers in china.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
And you are just coming to realize facts others have been posting about for years .

McDonald's has started to do away with employees taking orders in all locations , all orders will be placed by electronic means .
That is the results of making $15/hr the min. wage .
All the simple jobs will disappear .

oldngray

nowhere special
the way the capitalist economy is going, everyone will be moving back in their parents basements:

"In retrospect, this is less than surprising in a time when the top tenth of the upper U.S. One Percent owns as much as much wealth as the bottom U.S. 90 percent while half the nation’s population is either poor or near-poor (living at less than half the federal government’s notoriously inadequate poverty level). A shocking 94 percent of the jobs created in the U.S. economy during the Obama years were part-time, contract, and/or temporary positions."

i remember when that stat first came out it was a big deal. i dont see how the fourty hour work week can live. maybe it will be like democracy where they say we have it, but the reality is quite different.

the next things the capitalists will take away is our parents basements, and we will be living on the corporate plantation like the workers in china.

Do you know WHY so many of those jobs are part time?

One of the consequences of Obamacare.

rickyb

Do you know WHY so many of those jobs are part time?

One of the consequences of Obamacare.
i very much doubt you can simply blame obamacare, but that could be partly the reason. btw your uninsured rate is at a record low. not sure if thats a good statistic or a phony statistic.

onto canada:

Canada created lots of jobs last year. Almost all were part-time: TD

"That sounds great on the surface. But TD Economics scratched just a little deeper and found that almost every job created last year was part-time, in a report released Wednesday."

last i checked canada didnt start obamacare or any new program last year...

theres probably other developed countries which are similar. annual hours worked has be declining for decades now in most western countries.

rickyb

And you are just coming to realize facts others have been posting about for years .

McDonald's has started to do away with employees taking orders in all locations , all orders will be placed by electronic means .
That is the results of making $15/hr the min. wage .
All the simple jobs will disappear .
keep up the good work critiquing capitalism my friend ;)

im in favor of automation of jobs, and if it takes $15/hr protests to do it, so be it. the quicker mundane jobs are automated, the quicker the system stops working and people will be free to pursue what really interests them.

btw i dont think that why they automated but certainly rising wages might have something to do with it. we have automated mcdonalds here too and we dont have $15/hr.

oldngray

nowhere special
i very much doubt you can simply blame obamacare, but that could be partly the reason. btw your uninsured rate is at a record low. not sure if thats a good statistic or a phony statistic.

onto canada:

Canada created lots of jobs last year. Almost all were part-time: TD

"That sounds great on the surface. But TD Economics scratched just a little deeper and found that almost every job created last year was part-time, in a report released Wednesday."

last i checked canada didnt start obamacare or any new program last year...

theres probably other developed countries which are similar. annual hours worked has be declining for decades now in most western countries.

You do not understand how things work.

One of the new rules of Obamacare was requiring employers to provide health insurance for employees working more than 29 hours. The net result was a shift to more part time jobs.

Insured rate? That could be measured many ways. If you have high deductibles and co-pays you may technically be insured but it ends up being too expensive to be much use.

You attempted to shift the focus to Canada but in your original argument you mentioned the US but not Canada.

rickyb

You do not understand how things work.

One of the new rules of Obamacare was requiring employers to provide health insurance for employees working more than 29 hours. The net result was a shift to more part time jobs.

Insured rate? That could be measured many ways. If you have high deductibles and co-pays you may technically be insured but it ends up being too expensive to be much use.

You attempted to shift the focus to Canada but in your original argument you mentioned the US but not Canada.
actually my original argument was about declining weekly work hours.

you were the one who shifted the argument to obamacare, but since your oldngray nowhere special and getting confused, you mustve forgot ;)

i should say thats interesting what you said about copays and deductibles.

oldngray

nowhere special
actually my original argument was about declining weekly work hours.

you were the one who shifted the argument to obamacare, but since your oldngray nowhere special and getting confused, you mustve forgot ;)

i should say thats interesting what you said about copays and deductibles.

No, you cited US statistics. Not Canada. I merely pointed out a major cause for those numbers.

oldngray

nowhere special
no your oldngray nowhere special confused again!

i mentioned canada and US.

Where does it say Canada?

rickyb

hudson references what america did to russia in the 90s saying america is gonna impose that on itself now. the life expectancy dropped by 4 years in russia in the 90s when it was being privatized by the americans. he also said there was a mass immigration from russia during that time and wonders where americans are going to go.

what empires do to others they eventually do to themselves.

rickyb

god i love being right all the time.

from forbes ""The Capitalist Tool". of course you might be a tool if you read this stuff enough.

Unless It Changes, Capitalism Will Starve Humanity By 2050

"
Capitalism has generated massive wealth for some, but it’s devastated the planet and has failed to improve human well-being at scale.

• Species are going extinct at a rate 1,000 times faster than that of the natural rate over the previous 65 million years (see Center for Health and the Global Environment at Harvard Medical School).

• Since 2000, 6 million hectares of primary forest have been lost each year. That’s 14,826,322 acres, or just less than the entire state of West Virginia (see the 2010 assessment by the Food and Agricultural Organization of the UN)."

it continues:

"
The Increasing Importance Of Distributed Ownership And Governance

Fund managers at global financial institutions own the majority (70%) of the public stock exchange. These absent owners have no stake in the communities in which the companies operate. Furthermore, management-controlled equity is concentrated in the hands of a select few: the CEO and other senior executives.

On the other hand, startups have been willing to distribute equity to employees. Sometimes such equity distribution is done to make up for less than competitive salaries, but more often it’s offered as a financial incentive to motivate employees toward building a successful company.

According to The Economist, today’s startups are keen to incentivize via shared ownership:

The central difference lies in ownership: whereas nobody is sure who owns public companies, startups go to great lengths to define who owns what. Early in a company’s life, the founders and first recruits own a majority stake—and they incentivise people with ownership stakes or performance-related rewards. That has always been true for startups, but today the rights and responsibilities are meticulously defined in contracts drawn up by lawyers. This aligns interests and creates a culture of hard work and camaraderie. Because they are private rather than public, they measure how they are doing using performance indicators (such as how many products they have produced) rather than elaborate accounting standards.

This trend hearkens back to cooperatives where employees collectively owned the enterprise and participated in management decisions through their voting rights. Mondragon is the oft-cited example of a successful, modern worker cooperative. Mondragon's broad-based employee ownership is not the same as an Employee Stock Ownership Plan. With ownership comes a say – control – over the business. Their workers elect management, and management is responsible to the employees."