I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

i was listening to richard wolff's economic update and theres 1.2 million americans working in retail sector down from 1.8 million in 2000. this is a substantial drop and this is in addition to the fact that a significant number of malls are closing.

on the other hand i am not in favor of retail jobs because i think they are unfufilling for most workers not to mention low paying.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
i was listening to richard wolff's economic update and theres 1.2 million americans working in retail sector down from 1.8 million in 2000. this is a substantial drop and this is in addition to the fact that a significant number of malls are closing.

on the other hand i am not in favor of retail jobs because i think they are unfufilling for most workers not to mention low paying.
Amazon's fault.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Retails jobs, for the most part, are not meant to be careers.

rickyb

this is a silly post but normally i get a veggie sub for 7 at subway, but today there was a special for some kind of meat one for 6 so i ordered that but got the meat and cheese wrapped on the side for my mom.

rickyb

Charles‏ @orwellguy 18h18 hours ago

George Orwell: "The real division is not between conservatives and revolutionaries but between authoritarians and libertarians."

C_FoolRXsAEcilS.jpg

rickyb

fraud
frôd/
noun
noun: fraud; plural noun: frauds
wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

Mark Baum
: We live in an era of fraud in America. Not just in banking, but in government, education, religion, food, even baseball... What bothers me ins't that fraud is not nice. Or that fraud is mean. For fifteen thousand years, fraud and short sighted thinking have never, ever worked. Not once. Eventually you get caught, things go south. When the hell did we forget all that? I thought we were better than this, I really did."

this whole system is fraudulent; based on lies, and it will end very badly

L
fraud
frôd/
noun
noun: fraud; plural noun: frauds
wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

Mark Baum
: We live in an era of fraud in America. Not just in banking, but in government, education, religion, food, even baseball... What bothers me ins't that fraud is not nice. Or that fraud is mean. For fifteen thousand years, fraud and short sighted thinking have never, ever worked. Not once. Eventually you get caught, things go south. When the hell did we forget all that? I thought we were better than this, I really did."

this whole system is fraudulent; based on lies, and it will end very badly
Are you talking about al gore? If not, can you be specific?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

a perfect description of capitalism: rich people exploiting their workers and other people

exploitation: me doing $20/hr value worth of work, but only being paid $10/hr by my employer.
in the case of china its me doing $20/hr value worth of work, but only being paid $0.21/hr by my employer.

workers whose labor generates a surplus (an excess above what the workers themselves get back out of their output for their own consumption)

exploitation is defined as an organization of production in which the people who receive and distribute the surplus are different from those who produce it. Examples of exploitative organizations of production include slavery (masters exploit slaves), feudalism (lords exploit serfs) and capitalism (employers exploit employees).
When people do work for me, I pay $15-20 an hour.
When they bring their own tools and infrastructure, I pay them $30.
Deduction: The $10/hr differential pays for his/her tools, consumables (gas, oil), and a reasonable opportunity cost. Opportunity cost = Investors can make profits of a reasonable amount.

So, in your case, workers show up and go to work and get paid $10 and the other $10 pays for infrastructure (building, sorting belts, package car, etc.), upkeep of the infrastructure, consumables, and an opportunity cost.

I agree $10 an hour is not reasonable ... I even pay illegal Mexicans $20 - $30 / hour.
Actually, I don't know but they are short, olive skin and speak Spanish.

Last edited: