I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

Catatonic

Nine Lives
See 60 Minutes reference. It's a fallacy being pushed that modern factories don't provide good jobs. Everything that can possibly be done to improve our economy should be done.
I saw that segment on 60 minutes.
It was enlightening and encouraging.
However, if every small community did that, the benefits would go away because that MS county is enjoying a period of little if any competition.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If every small community did that, the benefits would go away.
That MS county is enjoying a period of little if any competition.
There's a reason they located in the poorest part of the country. And they still needed millions in subsidies and tax breaks.

vantexan

If every small community did that, the benefits would go away.
That MS county is enjoying a period of little if any competition.
But who are they competing against? These are state of the art factories for very specific products. Not off the shelf claptrap, but specific things used for specific purposes. Thousands of these factories could be built nationwide. Won't put everybody to work at the factories, but will provide a foundation for entrepreneurship, more hiring. Granted, used to be it took a lot more people to make things, technology certainly has advanced, but manufacturing isn't dead, we need more of the high end kind. Do we just want to dismiss it, or try to make it happen?

vantexan

There's a reason they located in the poorest part of the country. And they still needed millions in subsidies and tax breaks.
They would've never moved there if the local leader hadn't done everything possible to convince all of them. Some had other locations being considered in other States. Now he's got thousands of locals in good paying jobs with a future.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
They would've never moved there if the local leader hadn't done everything possible to convince all of them. Some had other locations being considered in other States. Now he's got thousands of locals in good paying jobs with a future.
Yup, needed government handouts because the free market won't support those jobs.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
No, got breaks on taxes, and got some infrastructure built. Yeah, let's don't improve things to attract jobs. Not everyone will get a good paying job so no one should huh? It's social justice!
I'm done talking about your anecdotal fallacy in defense of manufacturing jobs. I think it's great a few Mississippians got jobs.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It really was inspiring and a Capitalist win ... unusual for 60 minutes.

I'm done talking about your anecdotal fallacy in defense of manufacturing jobs. I think it's great a few Mississippians got jobs.
One aspect that was not brought forward in previous posts is that these are not the same type of manufacturing jobs of the 60's.
Most of the new manufacturing jobs involve computer aided tasks. Everyone there had to be trained in job skills they did not have before these companies opened.